Commissar clarification

By blkdymnd, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

Don't even play SSU, but still trying to get my head wrapped around them

1. You take them full as a command squad. These stay together and cannot be split out?
2. You can buy them singly as like heroes, but they don't count as heroes, because you can still add a hero to the squad. So they do not count towards your hero limit?
3. If they are not classed as heroes, what slot do they count as?
4. If you use a single commissar to combine two like squads, the giant squad counts as a support choice. The squad stays as their normal classification if they don't combine?
5. A platoon cannot take the same commissar twice, but you could feasibly buy all 5 for one platoon (but then why would you need the platoon upgrade giving you 2 solo commissars)?

blkdymnd said:

1. You take them full as a command squad. These stay together and cannot be split out?
2. You can buy them singly as like heroes, but they don't count as heroes, because you can still add a hero to the squad. So they do not count towards your hero limit?
3. If they are not classed as heroes, what slot do they count as?
4. If you use a single commissar to combine two like squads, the giant squad counts as a support choice. The squad stays as their normal classification if they don't combine?
5. A platoon cannot take the same commissar twice, but you could feasibly buy all 5 for one platoon (but then why would you need the platoon upgrade giving you 2 solo commissars)?

1. Correct
  2. Correct
  3. Commissar Solos and/or Commissar Unit Attachments?
  4. Correct
  5. In case you didn't want all 5. If you only want 1-2 as support choices, you'll need to spend 5 AP for the platoon upgrade in a Political Platoon (and most likely a Giards Platoon once Hades arrives). The Defense Platoon gives you this upgrade free. Otherwise, you have to spend 25 AP for all 5, attach what you can, and send the remainder (if any) out as solos, which are easy targets and a very bad investment in the initiative phase, as they'll add dice to your command pool.

You can only get the two solo commisars though since the two platoons don't give you the option to get the squad at all unless it is the command section. Am I right? That is how i see it. Political platoon can have them as the command section only, or the defense platoon can bring them in as the extra support option and the platoon upgrade option.

Pael said:

You can only get the two solo commisars though since the two platoons don't give you the option to get the squad at all unless it is the command section. Am I right? That is how i see it. Political platoon can have them as the command section only, or the defense platoon can bring them in as the extra support option and the platoon upgrade option.

This is certainly my understanding as well, unless I missed something on first read-thru (I usually do, but it's a pretty short book, so I won't have to look hard to find what I missed on a second read-thru in the coming week).

Yeah so basically what I understand is you take the "solo commissars" + two units as a huge blob squad and it counts as a support unit. So Arguably you can take 2 big blob squads because you can take 2 solo commissars.

Denied said:

Yeah so basically what I understand is you take the "solo commissars" + two units as a huge blob squad and it counts as a support unit. So Arguably you can take 2 big blob squads because you can take 2 solo commissars.

So you can't take solo commissars at all without the platoon upgrade, correct?

It is different depending on the type of platoon.

Political platoons can field the command section of commissars and then buy the upgrade and get two extra solo commissars for their listed points cost.

Defense platoons get two solo commissars as extra support as well as the ability to use the upgrade. They could field a total of 4 solo commissars.

I think Pael has the best interpretation of the rule.

One thing I'm very curious about is how Commisars can interact with other Platoons. For example, could a Commisar from one Platoon join a unit from a different Platoon? Also, could a Commisar join 2 identical squads from different Platoons?

And while we're at it, can units with Carry Capacity carry units from other Platoons?

So yes my current understanding of the Commissars They are their own slot as a special support option similar to the Axis/ Allies Snipers or Radio man teams. You can field a maximum of two standard and the upgrade makes it 4 you can only field one of each kind so no doubling up. They can be attached to individual units like a hero or they can combine two similar units into one large blob that fills a support slot. I believe that is how it works?

Almost. During army creation, the 2 squads still just take the slots they usually do, as I understand it. You merge them upon deployment, and in the actual game, they are treated as support.