Was really excited .. then I see it is talisman with a new skin… LAME

By booored, in Relic

Fnoffen said:

I for one will wait with my judgement until after I get a chance to actually play it.

I think this is one of the best replies I have read in this Relic forum so far.

Nemomon said:

Fnoffen said:

I for one will wait with my judgement until after I get a chance to actually play it.

What can I say? I like having an open mind.

Fnoffen said:

Nemomon said:

Fnoffen said:

You already have said enough happy.gif I also would like all the haters to wait until Relic is released. Is there a reason to hate a game that we know nothing about it?

Nemomon said:

Nemomon said:

You already have said enough happy.gif I also would like all the haters to wait until Relic is released. Is there a reason to hate a game that we know nothing about it?

I agree completely,but I think the "reason" is that haters are gonna hate. I thought it looked decent in the short video they had of it,and I was no big fan of Timescape.

Nemomon said:

Fnoffen said:

Nemomon said:

Fnoffen said:

Perhaps because it is the nature of some people to respond to that which they do not understand with fear, which leads to anger which in turn leads to hate?

…and hate leads to suffering!

Master Yoda

booored said:

No mater how they mod it the game will have strong ties to Talisman, so we do have a fairly good idea what to expect… There are going to be no awesome new macanics you just get blown away by.

Oh cool, so you've played the game or read the rules? Since I think that's the only way you can know for certain that it will have "strong ties" or "no new macanics."

Anyway, having never owned or played Talisman, I'm quite excited to see what Relic is like, since I've played every 40k product FFG has produced so far and hopefully Relic will live up to the high standard already set forth.

I think Relic will be a big hit in the gaming community. I for one love Talisman as much as a previous poster gui%C3%B1o.gif

Relic is the perfect answer to all those who thought Timescape had no place in a fantasy based realm. It now has its on realm in a brand new board game!

I look forward to playing it when it is released.

Ell.

Card-Threat-Fan.png

At the start of each game of Relic, a randomly drawn Scenario card is placed in the center of the board, bringing with it game-changing effects. The basic game, entitled “The Mystery Beyond,” is a race for the Inner Region and the unimaginable power contained therein. Other scenarios pit characters against a powerful Daemon Prince, an infernal Chaos Manufactorum, and more.

For example, while Relic is always a competitive game, the scenario “Lost Flagship of St. Antias” ratchets up the rivalry. This brutal death match requires that all players duel each other at every opportunity. What’s more, the final confrontation is a all-out king-of-the-hill style brawl for control of a mighty ship that promises dominance of the sector! Relic offers an entirely new take on a classic, beloved adventure game. Will you save humanity, or fall to the powers of Chaos? Venture into the depths of the Antian Sector, and prepare to face its mysteries!

CharSheetWithDials-Skewed.png

20120728_151419.jpg

lol, wow that table top is a real mess.. i can hardly look at it and tell what is what!! heh heh What is that a galaxy I guess… like with planets you can go to? I kinda expected it to be smaller scale, as in walking about a landcape with locations like dungeons or towns or w/e

The outside is the planet surface and the inner is in space

oh i see, that is kinda cool really…

C…c.c.c.cc…..cc….c'a…c'ant…..w.w.w.w.w.w.w.wwwwwwwwwwwwwww………wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to put my two pence worth in here. Talisman started a trend for a lot of adventure games way back when, but was actually just a souped up version of those silly games you find on the back of Christmas selection boxes. Roll a die, move forward, follow instructions if any, until you win. Yes, very lame! It did allow a choice of clockwise/counterclockwise, but card draw was random. The game took a couple of hours to reach the centre, then dragged on for ever as the one in the middle tried to kill off the others 1 life at a time, 50% chance each turn. The others had so many healing places, the game never ended. Not good design! I always played first to the middle wins, which was long enough.

Adventures must have some randomness, but Talisman was rediculous! Prophecy was a great improvement. Things appeared randomly but it was independant of players movement. Movement randomness was replaced by actual choices and the game had an ending. Not perfect yet as getting 4 Artifacts dragged the game length passed a decent 2 hour maximum as players just fought each other in single battles off the board. I played first to 2 Artifacts just to make the game a decent length. That has now gone potty with expansions that add mini adventures after reaching each of the Astral Planes which held the Artifacts. Another few hours on the game! Expansions should add variety, not length!!

With Relic, I was appalled at the decision to return to rolling dice for movement! A giant step back in game design!!! Drawing a card from any number of decks still removes any skill element. Come on FFG, you can do much better. I can't comment on the ending yet as I don't know what it is. I just hope the game has a definite ending once you reach the middle. The 2-3 hour playing time looks a bit long, but I may try someone elses copy, but from what I have seen so far, it looks a missed opportunity. Maybe the 40k theme could save it, but this style is old hat for seasoned gamers and should be aimed at beginners. Cheers!

Okay, gonna start by saying I am a fan of Talisman, and have been for a LONG time.

That said, what I think some people seem to be missing here, and what a few people have taken up, is that we haven't really seen much of anything of this game. You can make all the assumptions in the world, but until you've at least seen the rules set then you aren't talking with any real knowledge of the game one way or the other. I may hate Relic and just stick with Talisman, for all I know…

For my part, I DON'T want a new rules system. I have plenty of different FFG games (Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, Tannhauser, City of Thieves, Android) as well as others and I am more than happy to have Talisman AND try Relic because it means that I can include the 8 and 12 year old kids in the house when we play the game. They get the roll and move mechanic, they like the card system and the simplicity of the characters. We add all the Talisman expansions together and play the different scenario cards to add variety. With Relic I can now introduce them to another setting with a game system they already know and like.

Talisman, like any board game, is what you make of it. We tend to make it a chance to gather round the table and have some fun as a family, usually 'roleplaying' our characters and having a good laugh in the process.

If it's not your thing then fine. But for those of us who do like the system, poo-pooing FFG for giving us another way to play it just seems a bit petty to me. There are plenty of other games out there for you to enjoy (Horus Heresy anyone?).

I agree, with several of these posts.A board game is only what you really make of it. I enjoy talisman because it is random, and it doesn't take a lot of decision making, it allows for entertaining game, seeing players run into amazing, exciting moments, and also moment where they die a grizzy and gruesome death. I for one look forward to one based on 40k (my favorite game). I'll enjoy rolling dice and hoping my Imperial guardsmen is more like Marbo, and less like a nid lunchbox.

For the Emperor! er, um, the Dice Gods!

To me talisman means when my mates are over with their wives and having drinks….this is one game that we will all play….no other game except for possibly relic can do this

A0me1_YCQAAtXzB.jpg

A0mfiUPCQAAc4xb.jpg

Rashley said:

Adventures must have some randomness, but Talisman was rediculous! Prophecy was a great improvement. Things appeared randomly but it was independant of players movement. Movement randomness was replaced by actual choices and the game had an ending. Not perfect yet as getting 4 Artifacts dragged the game length passed a decent 2 hour maximum as players just fought each other in single battles off the board. I played first to 2 Artifacts just to make the game a decent length. That has now gone potty with expansions that add mini adventures after reaching each of the Astral Planes which held the Artifacts. Another few hours on the game! Expansions should add variety, not length!!

Wow, I am astonished that someone outside BGG actually mentioned Prophecy, even though it is understandable, given the topic. Not that I think it is a bad game, this is just first time ever I see something like this. :)

Anyways, I've played Talisman before and I didn't like it much. Yes, it was the 2nd edition, but I don't believe that the gameplay has changed that much since then. That means Relic has helluva lot of work to persuade me to buy it.

If you didnt like talisman, i'd imagine you would like this game…..i for one cant wait, also been playing talisman on the PC

YOU are lame.

I love Talisman, and i love Warhammer 40.000, ergo, i love Relic.
:-)