I dislike the player minis

By Mestre dos Magos, in Relic

Well, it is as simple as that.

Those minis look terrible, why not proper minis? I know GW is a weird company and most probably it is afraid those minis would be used as proxy in their miniature wargame… is that it?

Anyway, I dont like them…

FFG isn't allowed to make warhammer minis; so as not to compete. (based on their contract)

So instead they are forced to make busts, which are a little odd. But, seeing as warhammer has large amounts of minis to chose from; replacement proxies won't be that hard to come by.

That´s what I thought, although we did have minis in Chaos in the Old World, and to some extent, in Horus Heresy.

I know I am bickering over small details, but I wanted better looking ones, those Busts look so weird

As above, I read somewhere that FFG isn't allowed to do minis in the same scale or type so as not to compete in some way with "real" game.

I kinda like them, at least they're different.

Mestre dos Magos said:

That´s what I thought, although we did have minis in Chaos in the Old World, and to some extent, in Horus Heresy.

I know I am bickering over small details, but I wanted better looking ones, those Busts look so weird

In both games they didn't have "true" minis. For example, I Horus Heresy, all the mini's had multiple figures on the bases; while the single figure primarchs were cardboard busts.

While in Chaos in the Old World, the demonic units were busts, while the cultists went the way of Horus Heresy by having multiple figures on the same base.

That in mind, I would have even preferred cardboard busts, like the primarchs in HH. But, still looking like it will be a great game.

All of the minis you need will be easy enough to proxy from W40K…

Well, one looks like a Battle Sister, so I'm happy.

I think the current relic minis are nice. Refreshing and different than another 30mm run of the mill adventurer.

I also find the busts the be a refreshing change.

I think they are kinda cool. . a change from the GW stuff, and you can always pick one of the zillions of GW models and play with if you want.

The busts looks awesome, I'm looking forward to painting them!

I like the old Talisman miniatures. They had some really unique characters that were outside of the scope of "proper" Warhammer, such as the gladiator, leprachaun, and astronaught. It would have been nice to see the same for 40K. Oh well.

zefert1 said:

FFG isn't allowed to make warhammer minis; so as not to compete. (based on their contract)

So instead they are forced to make busts, which are a little odd. But, seeing as warhammer has large amounts of minis to chose from; replacement proxies won't be that hard to come by.

Wait a minute. Doesn't the current version of Talisman come with miniatures?

Yes, but Talisman isn't based on the Warhammer IP.

Are you kidding? I LOVE those minis! And I find it awesome they do not look like GW minis! I am truly looking forward to painting them, and the only question is: how big they are? The idea of busts is really brilliant, I like it a lot! happy.gif

Personally I think the miniatures are great. It makes a change from the usuals and I think they'll look great painted up. After all - if you really want a 28mm full-body miniature of a Space Marine or any other character from the 40K universe we are hardly short of options.

+1

I love the look of the busts

talismanisland said:

Actually, it is. The current version of the game might have moved away from this origin but the original game, which I played a LOT, definately had its roots in Warhammer. Some of the characters, such as a Chaos Warrior and a Space Marine (Timescape supplement), were iconic & had their own miniatures. Granted this was when the game was produced by GW, but its roots lie in the Warhammer mythos.

Well, the old GW version had the following characters across it's various expansions:

Minotaur, Valkyrie, Archeologist, Astronaught, Astropath, Chainsaw Warrior, Cyborg, Scientist, Space Marine, Space Pirate, Centaur, Ninja, Orc, Samurai, Soldier, Warrior of Chaos, Witch Doctor, Woodsman Amazon, Barbarian, Gladiator, Halfling, Hobgoblin, Knight, Leprechaun, Merchant, Necromancer, Philosopher, Pilgrim, Ranger, Rogue, Satyr.Assassin, Druid, Dwarf, Elf, Ghoul, Minstrel, Monk, Priest, Prophetess, Sorceress, Thief, Troll, Warrior, Wizard.Conjurer, Dark Elf, Inquisitor, Gypsy, Highlander, Martial Artist, Pirate, Saracen, Scout, Sprite, Spy, Swashbuckler, Swordsman, Zulu, Dragon Priest, Dragonrider, Dragon Slayer, Questing Knight.

Almost none of these are truly Warhammer-based. They are simply standard fantasy archetypes. The only ones that are GW IP are the Warrior of Chaos, the Space Marine and the Chainsaw Warrior.

Alpha Chaos 13 said:

talismanisland said:

Actually, it is. The current version of the game might have moved away from this origin but the original game, which I played a LOT, definately had its roots in Warhammer. Some of the characters, such as a Chaos Warrior and a Space Marine (Timescape supplement), were iconic & had their own miniatures. Granted this was when the game was produced by GW, but its roots lie in the Warhammer mythos.

No, it is not.

The 3rd Edition was reduced to being a total Warhammer related dumbed down version, but the original was a totally generic fantasy adventure game.

A Space Marine was brought in to bulk out the science fiction/40K inspired Timescape along with the Chainsaw Warrior and other 40K themed characters, and any other "nods" to Warhammer were in expansions, not the original game.

talismanisland said:

A Space Marine was brought in to bulk out the science fiction/40K inspired Timescape along with the Chainsaw Warrior and other 40K themed characters, and any other "nods" to Warhammer were in expansions, not the original game.

Okay, I'll give you that. If you're looking at the original game only, then I can go with the standard fantasy archetype thing. Except for the Chaos Warrior, who I believe was one of the original characters. He fit right in with the Warhammer ones. That and the ultimate goal. The Crown of Command appears in Warhammer too.

The Warrior of Chaos was included in Talisman: The Adventure, a GW in-house expansion.

The Talisman Expansion Set and The Talisman Dungeon expansions were from the designer (and the original game of course) and were all generic fantasy.

Timescape, City and Dragons were effectively fan-designed expansions and had various influences, and were also tweaked somewhat by GW.

You can see from Bob's own website that the original game was actually based on a school, and it is likely that any fantasy influence would be from Dungeons & Dragons.

As for the Crown of Command, if it is from the Warhammer universe, then it was a GW decision (like changing the name to Talisman) as the original game featured the Necromancer's Isle as the centre space.

bob_necromancers_isle.jpg

I don't mind the busts, personally. I will still look at getting 40K figs to replace them, but I also play 40K as a wargame and the RPG as well.

If it is as I've heard and FFG is not allowed (due to their contract with GW) to make figures that too closely resembles the GW line then I think opting for busts is a genious move. I would surmise that it's either that or making cardboard "tombstones" similar to the ones in Arkham Horror.

Perhaps some Character Playing Piece Cards could be designed by someone (you know who Mr Talismanisland) to match the character cards in Relic gui%C3%B1o.gif

Ell.