Going Prone / Crawling

By Eradico Pravus, in Game Mechanics

First off, sorry if this has been addressed. Tried a forum search and came up empty.

From the Combat Actions Table on p. 176, Stand is a half-action, "To stand up from being knocked over/prone."

A couple of questions:

1. If standing from a prone position is a half-action, is *going* prone a free action at the end of one's movement? In other words, can the guardsman run towards the enemy position for his full movement rate and then drop prone with no penalty?

2. How about crawling rates? On p. 12 it says that simple climbs are "one-half his Half-Move speed." Does a Crawl Rate of 1/4 Full Movement rate sound about right?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Free action to drop prone makes sense your bassicly just throwing yourself to the ground and thats not exactly what I would call a time consuming action, and I think the 1/4 movement speed sounds about right too.

Wouldn't 1/4 of Full Movement Rate be equivalent to 1/2 of Half Movement Rate?. Assuming that's the case I'd propose 1/2 of Full Movement Range. I'd say you'd be faster crawling then climbing.

Crawling on hands on knees probably, but crawling while prone isn't quite as easy.

I would just restrict a player to half moves only while prone.

ParadigmShift said:

Crawling on hands on knees probably, but crawling while prone isn't quite as easy.

Yeah, I was envisioning crawling while on your belly, under the barbed wire, machine gun going off above your head. I'm thinking that's a one-quarter movement rate.

It would be mostly situational though, so GM would probabley have to decide the speed on the fly.