Question on trade phase?

By JayThomas, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

My wife and I just started playing this game and I think I'm doing the trade phase wrong. The rules say players may perform this phase at the same time. So during my turn we both add up trade then during her turn we both add trade.

I'm thinking we should only be doing this once per round instead. So if I'm first player and during my Trade Phase we both adjust our trade wheels. Then during her Trade Phase we shouldn't add to out trade wheels.

Which way is correct?

JayThomas said:

My wife and I just started playing this game and I think I'm doing the trade phase wrong. The rules say players may perform this phase at the same time. So during my turn we both add up trade then during her turn we both add trade.

I'm thinking we should only be doing this once per round instead. So if I'm first player and during my Trade Phase we both adjust our trade wheels. Then during her Trade Phase we shouldn't add to out trade wheels.

Which way is correct?

The latter one. All players have one communal trade phase in which all players increse their trade dial once. The phrasing in the rule book, page 12: "During this phase, each player collects trade from all of their cities, and then the players may negotiate with each other, trading a variety of game resources up to and including promises (see pages 14–15). This phase may be simultaneously performed by every player to save time." can be a bit hazy. What the last sentance means is simply that all players may increase their trade dial simultaneously instead of in sequence. This is due to the fact that each player's increase do'nt influence the other players.