Dune.

By Ebonrook, in Rex: Final Days of an Empire

This has probably come up hundreds of times before. Today I learnt that Rex was supposed to be a Dune game, and that for what ever reason it never happened.

This actually depressed me, mostly because Dune is one of those things that I always go back to. I wish that FFG did get the license to Dune because I would love to see them make a Dune game. Argh, so upsetting. Who else wishes that they had made a Dune game?

They tried to remake the old Dune board game. They WANTED to make it as Dune, but the Herbert estate was unwilling to agree to any reasonable offer for the license, so they remade it as Rex.

I too would have liked to see a reprint of the classic excellent DUNE boardgame. As a player of DUNE for over 30 years, I have found it more and more difficult to find others to pbem. Hopefully Rex will develop a devoted fan base as well.

Rex is a good game my group likes it, but it lacks the mythos of Dune. With Dune people get into character and play the race the way it is in the books. While FFG does a good job integrating Rex into the TI universe, it doesn't have the draw that Dune does. So in gameplay I may prefer Rex by a bit, in color and fun factor I prefer Dune.

ok i wanted this game befor but finding out its basicly dune sold me on it.

I would have bought this game if it had been Dune.

I'm sure FFG did all they could to get the license. If they got The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars licenses, there must have been a more significant problem than usual.

I haven't seen any new Dune games for years. Still have a few PC games and the Dune CCG from years ago.

Edited by Shub-Niggurath

I'm sure FFG did all they could to get the license. If they got The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars licenses, there must have been a more significant problem than usual.

From what I understand, the problem is that Brian Herbert is basically unwilling to let anyone else touch the Dune universe. God only knows why.

I'm currently pondering the logistics of converting my copy of Rex into a homebrew copy of Dune. Rex is a good game, and a worthy successor to the old Dune game engine, but every time I have enough people together to play Rex, I find myself wanting to play Dune instead.

Man, I hear you. Somehow I never read Dune until just now, and as I do so, I'm struck by how much of the universe the game captures perfectly, whereas with Rex I'm just like, "so...the Xxcha can prevent the use of a given weapon because they're...diplomatic?"

So do let us know if you come up with a solution; I've had similar thoughts, but haven't gotten any farther than wistfully glancing at artscow.

I heard about Dune board game but never played it.

I watched the movie but didn't read books YET :) I like Dune's Universe.

After playing Rex I realize how great the original game must be. I made some research about the original game and now I am preparing 2 PnP copies of Dune (for me and my friend). So THANK YOU FFG for introducing REX - I would never buy this game (since it is not Dune) but it gave me a perspective how great and thematic original Dune game is !!

I personally thing that original Dune game is a goldmine. The question is who will be able to get that licence :) Most of my friends would buy Dune without hesitation. Even while playing Rex we are using Dune's terminology instead of Rex (spice instead of influence, Shai Hulud instead of "small bombardment", Storm instead Dreadfleet, name of factions etc.). Having that thematic is no less important than mechanics - it has to work together. Hopefully I will have my PnP copy made so I will be able to enjoy the mechanic AND thematic of the original Dune game :)

The sad thing is the Herbert estate has been doing this for a while now since Frank Hernert died.

There has been fan-based Dune expansions and games make, and the Herbert Estate has come along and killed them with legal action.

To be honest the Herbert Estate has done more damage and good over the last 15 odd years to the Dune fan base.

I agree the Dune Board game is great as you do play as the house/group you decide to play, and it is based on the Movie and the orginal Frank Herbert Dune novel.

It's a same someone can't get the original manufactures name and hence license to reprint it, but I don't think that would work, as the Herbert Estate would file legal action.

Brain Herbert and his Estate lawyers really stuffed up by not allowing FFG an license, based on what I've seen they're the best ones to remake the orginal Dune boardgame.

The sad thing is the Herbert estate has been doing this for a while now since Frank Herbert died.

Indeed, it seems like Frank's son thinks of himself as the only one entitled to do anything with the franchise. Sadly, he has the legal power to make this so.

It's a same someone can't get the original manufactures name and hence license to reprint it, but I don't think that would work, as the Herbert Estate would file legal action.

Well, FFG did purchase the rights to the board game itself (from Avalon Hill, IIRC.) The original game designers for the Dune Board Game (Bill Eberle, Jack Kittredge and Peter Olotka) were all involved in helping FFG update the game to make REX.

Unfortunately, owning the original board game is not enough to authorize the use of the Dune franchise.

So, REX is a proper reprint/updated edition of Dune in every respect, except the theme. It's unfortunate that the theme is such a big part of the original game that its absence still makes such a dent. However, I know FFG did everything they could to remake Dune as Dune.

Edited by Steve-O

I've been looking for a long time for a Dune the boardgame, have a mate with a original version with all the expansions. But she's getting a little long in the teeth and seen better days.

I've looked at some Dune fan designed replacement parts.

Leaders.jpg

dune-1-multicell.jpg

dune-1-paul.jpg

But not many were made available for download or purchase. I did find some very amazing remakes, that left the original artwork from the original Game look like it was done by a kid.

But from what I've read of the manual and looked at within the box for REX it is Dune, just different names and places.

Can't wait to get the guys and girls to together to have a game.

Anyone know if it'll have any expansions added?