paintin' stuff

By Antizombie, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I have been meaning to post up my descent minis for a while now. I have everything painted from the begining of 1 st edition. (save the sea of blood lieutenants and a few of the promo heroes) I just started on the bases of the second edition minis. I DO enjoy me some Descent! Especially when mixed with some good friends and a healthy portion of Lager and Skoal. And my opinion of 2nd Ed: Excellent! Not to mention the sculpts are far and above some of the weak examples in 1st Ed.

Anywho…pics:

pic1379984_md.jpg

pic1379985_md.jpg

pic1379986_md.jpg

@warrior of Myth: Great job! having boatloads of painted miniatures i know how rewarding it is to have such a wonderful collection. Keep up the great work, paint always makes the poorly sculpted stuff better too! Kudos!

And here is one more contribution from me ( speaking of poorly sculpted). Honestly, i could not figure out what half of the stuff on this model was. is that a sword or a staff or something elese entirly!? are those pants or leather things?! Mold lines ?! really?!

I actually had to tottaly resculpt the upper portion of her hair the mold line was so bad! Her brown fur thing isn't that harshly highlighted either. As i said earlier my 2 mp camera doesnt pick up reds well and she has a lot more red in the fur.

ashiran.jpg

Speaking as someone who never played decent first edition it is great to see the wide variety of miniatures. So lets keep on posting em!

Speaking of, I just finished another 1st Edition character, the hardly ever played Lyssa (at least with my group, due to her odd traits/skills break down):

a437ce66dab811e1bbd422000a1e954d_7.jpg

Also, if anyone uses instagram, follow me @zerrian, where you can easily see all of my creations plus those that my brother paints as well. My brother's painted Mad Carthos and Landrec the Wise. He's looking to paint Ispher next.

Anyone else thinking about changeing the base for all the minis to the ones the lieutenants have?

And how do you guys do casework on these minis, do you remove the mini from the base first and then replace it?

I really find the standard bases to be bent and wobbly, so I am currently thinking about changing them to GW or PP bases (the GW are 25mm and would fit the standard size used now but the PP looks better but are 30mm).

Alowan said:

I really find the standard bases to be bent and wobbly, so I am currently thinking about changing them to GW or PP bases (the GW are 25mm and would fit the standard size used now but the PP looks better but are 30mm).

I did that with my Doom figs once upon a time (at least the larger-than-one-square figs) and it was a lot of work. Carving off the majority of the base around their feet was easy enough, but then I had to shave off the thickness of base from the soles of their feet, and that took a while. The figures look (and stand) much better now, but I'm definitely not planning on doing that again with Descent. =P

Ok, after reading through this entire painted-mini thread, I have become massively nauseated, and then jealous.

I don't evenhave 1/1000 of a percent of the talent you folks have. If I tried to paint my minis, I would probably be using a 12 inch roller. There is no way in hell I could get any mini to even remotely look like what all of you have accomplshed.

They are amazing, and I am in awe.

So … who is for hire?

any2cards said:

They are amazing, and I am in awe.

So … who is for hire?

Thanks for the compliments. If I even knew where/how to being offering my services to paint, I would. I've never done commission work before and I wouldn't even know what to charge to make it worth my time and cost effective for anyone wanting their figures painted.

Lyssa, above, took me about 3-ish+ hours to paint……

Heres some of the stuff I've been working on.

IMG_1801.jpg IMG_1805.jpg ?action=view&current=IMG_1807-1.jpg

Great job sack1unch. Love the nice clean paintjob.

Steve-O said:

Alowan said:

I did that with my Doom figs once upon a time (at least the larger-than-one-square figs) and it was a lot of work. Carving off the majority of the base around their feet was easy enough, but then I had to shave off the thickness of base from the soles of their feet, and that took a while. The figures look (and stand) much better now, but I'm definitely not planning on doing that again with Descent. =P

Ok, was that on 30mm or 25mm bases and how did it work if it was 30mm. Was it a problem on the board?

P.s Currently cleaning moldlines and assembly holes in my minis and will upload some of mine when I get around the painting them.

Bringing the thread back from the dead with a Barghest! how fitting ;) . He was painted up for our current overlord since this is his most taken monster. I did some research on the monster and I guess it is suppose to be a phantom black dog, but hey, undead lion is cool too.

Barghest2.jpg

Barghest1.jpg

Another one done today? Hu I must be done with all my graduate admissions essays….

widowtarah.jpg

Got the Paladin done. I think he will be played more because I gave him some nice Non Metal Metalics. I also replaced that stupid looking mace with a warhammer. That weapon really needed some help.

Paladin.jpg

Very cool, I like what you did with Alvric (I tend to refer to him as the Paladin, lol).

I'm happy to finally have a night to paint. I'll have an update or two later tonight as I work on more D1e heroes.

Finally had time to finish the guy I started last week. Here he is:

aa0209a2e1ba11e1b70422000a1e9621_7.jpg

I impress myself sometimes. I got another one done tonight.

4fed55c2e1d111e190351231381b5983_7.jpg

Ah Runewitch Astarra. Now just Astarra for dabbling in Necromancy.

Any tips for me to start as I've never painted a mini.

Is a primer needed and what type of paints are used?

Rhime said:

Any tips for me to start as I've never painted a mini.

Is a primer needed and what type of paints are used?

I can help you with this! Yes primer is very important. Black primer is usually the best. These models are very small so you should prime them in the following way.

1) Secure to a thick piece of cardboard (you can use sticky tac for posters to do that)

2) make sure your primer is held 6-8 inches away from model.

3) spray in short bursts so that you don't spray too much on and lose detail. get just enough on to cover the model. If you miss spacees you can just go pack and prime those areas or cover them in black paint by hand.

Painting for the beginner:

Get some paints. best paints you could get would be to get soem Games Workshop foundations, Vallejo paints, or Reaper master series. minimum colors you will need: Black, White, Red, Blue, Yellow, brown. Everything else can be mixed, but it is usually a good idea to pick up a lighter shade of each paint. You can also grab a Boltgun metal paint for the weapons and armory bits. Dwarf flesh is a good all around color for skin.

Actually painting: So the big thing is to stay in the lines and get a nice clean base coat. When you paint just keep your colors where they are suppose to be. If a cape is green and hair is not, make sure no green gets on the hair. Also, sometimes the paint might not go on smoothly. You get streaks. Make sure if this happens that you just go over it again. A nice crisp basecoat and staying in the lines will make your models better than 60% of what's out there, don't even need any fancy highlighting

Tips:

Make sure your paints are too thick, add a little water to thin them out. This might mean you have to add a few coats of the same color but thats ok.

Don't over load your brush with paint.

Go look at a few youtube tutorials. There are a ton.

Where to get good deals on the paints? : thewarstore.com

Hope that helps!

Awesome tips!

Thanks a lot… :)

I used to use Games Workshop Paints but I find them to be to thick now and the bottles annoying. I've switched to Reaper paints and I'm happy with the consistency. The best place I found to buy reaper paints was ccgarmory.com at 2.09/bottle. I ended up spending about $80 on my reaper paints after getting a good assortment of trio paints (light, dark, medium per color).

Antizombie's tips are excellent, some difference I do or at least here is what I do in my steps:

1. Cut away any "flashing" (apparently this is what it's called?), which is the little bits of plastic left over from the molds.
  2. If your figures are really greasy from manufacturing (you'll see this more on metal figures) you'll want to wash them with warm dish soap and water.
  3. Prime your figures. Antizombie is correct here, 6-8 inches away, I don't bother with keeping my figures tagged down. I also use a white primer instead. I find it's easier to see detail and where I haven't painted yet.
  4. Once priming is done, I look over each color area of the character and make a mix for the darkest parts of that color and make it into a wash (adding water to dilute it and help get deep detail recesses) and paint in this colored wash where needed. Let the wash dry, this can take up to 20mins+ since it's so watery.
  5. Once all washes are finished I then start with the most recessed areas of the character, this is usually skin areas or clothing under armor or more clothing. Basically work your way out of the character. Once I've picked an area to work on, I'll take a step higher of color from the wash and paint in most areas, leaving deep recesses for shading. After that, I move onto dry brushing lighter color steps to give more detail to each area. (repeat this step until all areas are covered)
  6. Finally, I work on the base adding any little bits of terrain detail as I feel is needed.
  7. Cover with a finish. I used to use a glossy finish but it took away from the character, now I use a Matte Finish.

A note on dry brushing, get the color you want, and then remove the excess paint you don't need on newspaper or such until you've barely got paint on the brush, this will give you're characters an excellent (natural) look.

Yes, youtube is an excellent source for visual tutorials, I suggest MiniwargamerJ's videos, he gives good tips and helped me step my painting up as well.

I'm going to start painting my monster figures pretty soon, and would be super interested in the color schemes you all are using for your monsters. I'm still new to the world of miniature painting, so it would help me a lot to see how you all have been painting your monsters.

So my request…..more monster pics!

Thanks!

Butaman551 said:

So my request…..more monster pics!

Wish I could help you there. I'm still debating if I'm gonna paint my monsters as I would need a huge carrying case and currently don't have the space for them right now. With the color scheme, I'd just paint mine following the cards given to us. The only difference would be to give the master monsters a striking difference so heroes know "Yeah this guy will probably hurt."

Ill get on that eventually. I only plan on painting the master monsters, honestly i wasn't even planning on buying this game…

Just finished another one, sadly I doubt I'll have any time till next week to get a few more out.

ab268ef2e2a011e180ac22000a1e9f89_7.jpg

I've got to say I'm loving this thread and I'm so jealous that you guys are already painting your figures. I've got another 8 figures from Talisman to paint up before I can start the descent bunch..

I'll have to see if I can crack a few of them out over this weekend.

I like what I've seen so far though guys, keep it up!!!