[Inquisitor's Handbook] Noble 'Homeworld' Career Table Misprint?

By LordXcalibur, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Hi All,

I can't find a great deal of talk about this, but on Pg. 20 of the Inquisitor's Handbook it lists Psyker as a possible randomly rolled career for the Noble 'homeworld' option but is not listed in the main description of the allowed careers. Any information about this?

I've read one thread on the older FFG forums about this possibly being a "functioning as designed" similar to the Sisters of Battle being able to "pick" from a list of careers but only ever occuring randomly on the Schola Progenium homeworld. And no mention of either comes up in the official Errata...

Thanks in advance,

Xcalibur

Well I think the whole thing is a guideline, we generally do a "anything not listed as available by default just needs a good motivation and story", so anyone can make any world/career combo as long as they can show it is for story not crunch (or can at least fake it).

Personally, I just don't hold with the whole idea of certain careers being allowed or not with certain homeworlds.

As long as the player comes up with a good background story, I allow any combinations.

First of all: if it is not making any sense in itself, consider it a misprint / rules error
This seems to be the case right here.

To add to the offtopic:

While some of the world-career-restrictions seem to make sense ("No Tech-Adepts from feral worlds! We have enough sources of people who at least know a bit about technical rites to start with!") some of them simply donĀ“t ("No, there are no adepts from Hive words. This is because of..... because of.....because we say so!").

Simply, consider the DH-System as "not entirely free of failures".

Considering that my favorite character is a nobleborn tech-priest (had an aptitude for machines, so his daddy paid for augmetics that would at least leave him recognizably human), I agree with the others: In the case of character generation, where there's a story, there's a way.

("No Tech-Adepts from feral worlds! We have enough sources of people who at least know a bit about technical rites to start with!")

Actually, that's something I would also ignore - feral worlds may also cover places like Catachan, which I imagine does turn out some of the enginseers to go with its guard regiments.

Cifer said:

Considering that my favorite character is a nobleborn tech-priest (had an aptitude for machines, so his daddy paid for augmetics that would at least leave him recognizably human), I agree with the others: In the case of character generation, where there's a story, there's a way.

("No Tech-Adepts from feral worlds! We have enough sources of people who at least know a bit about technical rites to start with!")

Actually, that's something I would also ignore - feral worlds may also cover places like Catachan, which I imagine does turn out some of the enginseers to go with its guard regiments.

No I agree with that, the feral-world's drawbacks include an ineptitude with technology. It assumed that regiments raised from these feral-worlds have their colonels, tech-adepts, ect; from off-world. Its even in the Codex: Catachan, under the Commissar discription, that they dislike how offworlders get to control them, and most meet untimely ends. So I wouldnt allow it. Also, psykers from a noble upbringing would generally be knocked out of that way of life (having everything handed to you) from their 3d10 years of sanctioning. So if you can come up with a really good story as to why, ill allow it. If a player is particularly clever, and comes up with a good reason and story, then ill allow it. Techpriests from feral worlds is a 100% no-go in my book, given the mechanics problems it faces.

If your a rules-lawyer like some, theres nothing wrong with settleing for the default (imperial world).

-Ira-

Ira said:

No I agree with that, the feral-world's drawbacks include an ineptitude with technology. It assumed that regiments raised from these feral-worlds have their colonels, tech-adepts, ect; from off-world. Its even in the Codex: Catachan, under the Commissar discription, that they dislike how offworlders get to control them, and most meet untimely ends. So I wouldnt allow it. Also, psykers from a noble upbringing would generally be knocked out of that way of life (having everything handed to you) from their 3d10 years of sanctioning. So if you can come up with a really good story as to why, ill allow it. If a player is particularly clever, and comes up with a good reason and story, then ill allow it. Techpriests from feral worlds is a 100% no-go in my book, given the mechanics problems it faces.

If your a rules-lawyer like some, theres nothing wrong with settleing for the default (imperial world).

-Ira-

To all things, there is an exception. What about a feral world (road warrior style) which has a secretive cabal of monks who try to keep the Old Ways alive, passing on the sacrid teachings and implants and venerate the great god tech as they scour their broken world looking for any record of His passing and securing it away deep in their vaults for the time when His Angels finally return? Hrm... actualy, that just sounds like tech priests on most all worlds...

Better yet, or how about a tech priest from a small fortress / research station in the thick of a deadly feral world cut off from the rest of the Imperium for hundreds of years at a time. They regularly strike out into the populous as wizards and metal spirits testing members of the various tribes and whisking away promising specimens to be put to better use within their fortress. Sometimes, once in every 500 years, one of the natives so plucked proves to have a mind too sharp and inquisitive to waist on menial labor or simple maintenance and such an individual soon finds themselves educed in the ways of the Omnissiah.

I think with enough imagination, just about any career can come from most any kind of world. There's always an exception after all... except for Adepts from Hive worlds. That's just an impossibility. Due to the high concentration of technological devices on such worlds, they have all developed some form of rapid electronic communications which, within the span of a single generation, leaves the entire populace functionally illiterate, capable of only writing single character words such as "u" and "r"

Graver said:

To all things, there is an exception. What about a feral world (road warrior style) which has a secretive cabal of monks who try to keep the Old Ways alive, passing on the sacrid teachings and implants and venerate the great god tech as they scour their broken world looking for any record of His passing and securing it away deep in their vaults for the time when His Angels finally return? Hrm... actualy, that just sounds like tech priests on most all worlds...

Better yet, or how about a tech priest from a small fortress / research station in the thick of a deadly feral world cut off from the rest of the Imperium for hundreds of years at a time. They regularly strike out into the populous as wizards and metal spirits testing members of the various tribes and whisking away promising specimens to be put to better use within their fortress. Sometimes, once in every 500 years, one of the natives so plucked proves to have a mind too sharp and inquisitive to waist on menial labor or simple maintenance and such an individual soon finds themselves educed in the ways of the Omnissiah.

Actually, each of those examples qualify as Backwaters. In the first case, it might also be a Dead World or a War Zone (depending on what caused it to lose infrastructure), but it retains enough technological and social advancement to count as Imperial. In the second case, it's the very definition of either a Backwater or a War Zone, depending on what the nature of the planet is. Indeed, the first case might be a Dead World. In every case, it describes an Imperial World homeworld.

Remember that most feudal worlds are also Imperial, and those have few technologies at all (though I would be unlikely to allow a Tech Priest from those worlds, either).