The beginnings of an SSU army…

By RobT, in Dust Warfare

Thought I'd share my first SSU models as I anxiously await for the new book. I'm going for a fairly historical color scheme, and wanted to experiment with basing material that I didn't have to do anything but glue to the bases.

Battle Squad

'copter

grs0o.jpg

And, finally, I've completed a test model for the Chinese volunteer unit:

PQV7V.jpg

Very nice! I love the basing.

Thanks! It's my first time using The Army Painter stuff, and it's not bad. Considering Dust is meant to be a quick project for me, I like the black grit didn't have to be painted. Though I did use a matte varnish, I do worry that I'll have problems of it flaking off with time. We'll see. For now, I'm enjoying painting minis that I don't have to assemble or prime.

RobT said:

Thanks! It's my first time using The Army Painter stuff, and it's not bad. Considering Dust is meant to be a quick project for me, I like the black grit didn't have to be painted. Though I did use a matte varnish, I do worry that I'll have problems of it flaking off with time. We'll see. For now, I'm enjoying painting minis that I don't have to assemble or prime.

I dont forsee the matt finish wearing off unless through heavy use or abuse. I have minis that have not been recoated for over 10 years. They look great !!!

Your painting looks great!

I hope we see a great deal more from you :)

I do have this to say in favor of the SSU models: First, the base primer color is a dead match for the historical Russian color that I mixed up years ago. And second, I notice they're carrying their field gear. At first, I was annoyed at having to paint it, until I recalled that while the Americans, Brits, and Germans would have their foot troops leave behind their bedrolls, etc., and have them brought up by support elements, the Russians did not (what are support elements?). As a matter of fact, given that, the SSU troops are a bit under-encumbered…

they look amesome, what paint and colors did u use, right now im using washes and it is taking for ever and the army painter shade looks like a good option

They look great. Very similar to the colours I am using on my command sqaud. I would love to know how you did the armour chest plates, and helmets. As that is how I want mine to come up. Also how did you go about the hele? Did you use a sponge, or airbrush?