Do you need a Core set to start?

By Goreshde, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

I am a long time miniature game player and I was hoping to get some locals interested in Dust. There is a group of guys willing to demo the game for us, but the core set is sold out every where I look. It would be nice to have something at the local shop for people interested to pick up after the demo. Without the core set what should be there for players just starting? Is that even a good idea or should we hold off on the demo until the core set comes out again?

Does anyone know when the next shipment of core sets will be released?

The Revised Core Set has everything two players need to get into the game,and it's extremely good value for what you get, but it's by no means the only way you can get into Dust Tactics.

All the rules are available for download on the support page of the game's website, including all the expansion booklets for additional rules that have come out. However the only ones you'll actually have to download is the Revised Core's Rulebook and the Zverograd Expansion Booklet.

The only thing you won't be able to get without buying the core set or an expansion are the campaign missions, but you can invent your own basic missions relatively easily.

So to sum it all up, you can buy the core set and get everything you need, or just buy the models you like the most and go from there.

The original core set is out of print look for the revised version. But that being said you don't need a core set to start but they do get you a rather decent army to build from and all of the units are unique to the set.

You will need the core set as you need the maps to play on. If not you would need the tile set.

Does anyone have an idea as to when the revised core set will be back in print?

Goreshde said:

Does anyone have an idea as to when the revised core set will be back in print?

I didn't realize it was out of print, but looking around online, can't easily find it anywhere - even FFG's shop is out of stock on it.

Could this mean a new core set on the way? Also coolstuffinc.com has 5 in stock.

Dakkon426 said:

Could this mean a new core set on the way? Also coolstuffinc.com has 5 in stock.

SSU vs Vril please! :-)

felkor said:

Dakkon426 said:

SSU vs Vril please! :-)

I say a prayer every night.

Could be that they sold out because Dust warfare is more popular then initialy estimated. I would imagine they will reprint more of the same and not a new one.

We have a demo day coming up in a week and I was hoping to have some models around so if people like the game so they could start a faction. Outside of the revised core set what would be a good starting force for each faction?

The revised core set is not out of print it is "Temporary Out of Stock" at every distributor I order from. No date has been given to them for a when they should expect it back.

While frustrating I still would like some models on hand in case someone decides they like the game and wants to pick it up on our demo day. I have no idea what would make a good starting force for any of the factions and was hoping for some guidance.

Why not buy 1 medium mech from borth allies and axis, a command squad, and maybe 2 other squad from each side?

You can show a fight with 1 mech and 2 squads or 1 mech and 1 squad while showing the variants you can make with just one mech (that comes fully primed and made) in comparison with other war games. The problems would be the tiles unless you want to show them dust warfare. Then you need the book also. For the dices you can use normal dice and count only the 4 and 6 for damage unless stated by the card that it works differently.

LedZep said:

Why not buy 1 medium mech from borth allies and axis, a command squad, and maybe 2 other squad from each side?

You can show a fight with 1 mech and 2 squads or 1 mech and 1 squad while showing the variants you can make with just one mech (that comes fully primed and made) in comparison with other war games. The problems would be the tiles unless you want to show them dust warfare. Then you need the book also. For the dices you can use normal dice and count only the 4 and 6 for damage unless stated by the card that it works differently.

I think you should pass on the command squads starting off (just my two cents). I feel that's for more "advanced" play . I would consider some units out of the orginal core set as better starting units (all of which are avaiable).

examples:

Allies:

recon boys, BBQ squad, Gunners, and then add some class three armor such as Grim reapers or Tank Busters

Axis:

Recon Grenadiers, laser Grenadiers, and add some class three as well … Zombies, Heavy Recon Grenadiers

Then throw some med or light walkers and heroes in for both sides.

You can get the rules online, and could use the terrain tile set for board (that's what the tournament rules use).

Thanks, a lot of the players are Warmachine players so an advanced game is not a bad thing, but a selling point.

My brother gave me this advice. 1 squad, 1 command squad, and 1 walker for both sides.

Now the question is which squads look the coolest? Are there any models that got you into the game?

Goreshde said:

Thanks, a lot of the players are Warmachine players so an advanced game is not a bad thing, but a selling point.

My brother gave me this advice. 1 squad, 1 command squad, and 1 walker for both sides.

Now the question is which squads look the coolest? Are there any models that got you into the game?

My point about the command squad is that neither of the sets (core or revised core) included a command squad, but to each their own.

as for cool units:

Grim Reapers, Zombies, and Apes, oh my. Oh and the walkers.

And SSU Heli's (which is only one so far)

Get the RCS, Grim Reapers, Tank Busters, Zombies and Recon Grenadiers. That's a bunch of awesome for a hundred bucks (miniature market has it cheapest i think.

The point is, if he cant buy a core set then let him buy something that is not on the core set like the command squad or a medium walker that has 2 more configurations not included in the core set. Recon boys, BBQ or the Boss with a medium walker and their counterparts. For tastes Every army looks cool. I would say that the most atractive Mechs for the people are the allies because the medium walkers look like tanks. The axis look more like mech and they are preety for different people. The new troops from the SSU troops look awesome but their mechs are not so good looking (for some people as the rest.)

I would get axis and allies as they are the core of the expansions and core sets for the moment and just mention the new cool SSU. I tell you this because the coolness of the figures comes from painting and customization. So if you are getting regular dust tactics and not premium, the best looking medium walker that may be apreciated by the masses is the allies one. If you are entertaining a mech loving croud then the axis. The main squads wont stand out so much as the walkers. Also the Axis light walker looks cool. But like I sayd before, 1 medium walker and 3-4 configurations on one box set for 20 dollars it a huge selling point for me.

I've run several demo's of Dust now and pretty much everybody prefers the Axis mech look.

I would avoid the buying what looks cool thing at all costs. I am sorry to say I fell for that trap, ever though I should know better by now.
What I mean is just because its cool and shinny doesn't mean it can fight worth a ****. The first time my cool shinny army ran up against an an experienced player I got my hind end handed me!
The good news is there are plenty of units that look cool and fight well.
There is a topic on this site called what are the toughest units of the game. That may be helpful to you.

When I buy wargame armies I purely go on the look of the miniatures rather than read rules to see which might be best, didn't even know the stats of Dust Tactics when I bought into the Axis. Don't think I could paint and play an army I didn't like.

As I said there are plenty on cool units that fight well. I like a nice looking just like the next guy ,but I also like an army that can win games. So I would do a little research on the unit before I bot them.