Please Please Please officially clarify Charge rules.

By Zinger5656, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

I am frustrated. I don't agree with everyone on the forums. I need an official judgement. Does the Charge special ability count as an extra action? Is there a time period between the march move and the cc attack? It happens at the end of movement as part of the move right? So reaction could be an opposing close combat attack. What would the point of charge be then? Everyone says that's why you need to suppress. You cannot suppress a tank. So as long as a tank does not have a reaction marker, Markus and squad can never hit rear armor. Sure maybe for regular gorillas they can be reacted to the move/attack. Why bother with Markus if charge does not do anything special. Is it right then that Jump cannot be reacted to, and they get to reverse their die for rocket fists? Isn't the whole point of charge be to catch people off guard? Imagine Apes running at you with fists cocked, would they stop first before swinging? Please give an official reply. I have had 2 games where this has become an issue.

Again, it says at the end of movement, not after movement.

Zinger5656 said:

I am frustrated. I don't agree with everyone on the forums. I need an official judgement. Does the Charge special ability count as an extra action? Is there a time period between the march move and the cc attack? It happens at the end of movement as part of the move right? So reaction could be an opposing close combat attack. What would the point of charge be then? Everyone says that's why you need to suppress. You cannot suppress a tank. So as long as a tank does not have a reaction marker, Markus and squad can never hit rear armor. Sure maybe for regular gorillas they can be reacted to the move/attack. Why bother with Markus if charge does not do anything special. Is it right then that Jump cannot be reacted to, and they get to reverse their die for rocket fists? Isn't the whole point of charge be to catch people off guard? Imagine Apes running at you with fists cocked, would they stop first before swinging? Please give an official reply. I have had 2 games where this has become an issue.

Zinger5656 said:

FFG never post on the forums, so don't expect an answer, sometimes they can be quick if you email them. As far as I can see the Charge rule is quite clear as it states the chargers get an attack action, meaning a free attack action after a march move. If it were meant to be otherwise then they would have just said can attack after movement. The benefit of charge is not that it can get in without being shot but can actually make an attack where others can't.

Thanks for your reply, and I did email the question. I will update on the forum when I get an answer.

It seems to me that all charge does is give an extra 6 inches if you did not previously move or use fast. Otherwise ordinary gorillas or (Markus) with fast, move 12, then attack. Add charge and you get an extra 6.

Zinger5656 said:

It seems to me that all charge does is give an extra 6 inches if you did not previously move or use fast. Otherwise ordinary gorillas or (Markus) with fast, move 12, then attack. Add charge and you get an extra 6.

Which is huge! You now have a 21" threat range with a melee attack. Allies best is 15" only.

* Edit to add…

Apes murder infantry. Heavy Laser Grenadiers destroy tanks. A fantastic tactic is to use both! Send Markus & Squad on 18" move behind Walker. Walker reacts by either shooting (turreted weapons) in hopes of killing enough Apes to survive attack on unarmored rear or (more likely) turns to face Apes. Apes still attack, and still likely kill any lights, heavily damage Mediums, lightly damage heavies. Now activate HLGs, sustained fire in now back arc, or move into back arc and fire, dealing a death blow on anything barring horrible rolls.

Forcing your opponent to turn their Heavy Walker without turreted weapons to the rear is Phenominal! Even if you don't kill it, you just used 48 AP to take 85-95 AP out of the game for two turns. That's a very useful example of Charge as the rule is written.

Dust Warfare requires and rewards players for utilizing unit teamwork strategies. It's why I love this game.

You are right. I got an email back from ff, and despite my whining, I am wrong. The charge can be reacted to as a move action. While disappointed, I will do my best to do what you say. I still love the game.