The end is near! FFG to halt TH Development!

By Miah999, in Tannhauser

Indeed… sad news sad.gif

This is very bad, indeed. But one could see it coming. It never sold well, right?

Katsuyori said:

This is very bad, indeed. But one could see it coming. It never sold well, right?

I just SCORED about 13 unit expansions the other week for under $60 total. I knew then the end was near.

Ruined my day, that's for sure.

It's really sad, what else could you say. But at least we are getting another two characters to add to our collection. And you have to give FFG a plus because they informed us way ahead instead of just remaining silent or vaguely hinting at new product to come. Still, it's very sad.

Well, sonuvacrap. Here's hoping that I can get my hands on the two figure expansions I'm missing so far and the two new upcoming ones before this goes out of print.

If FFG keeps the license I'd still love to see them produce an RPG in the Tannhauser universe.

I'll take an RPG or a LCG, but I think the TH universe is the problem here, it's pretty obscure and doen't have a personality like Paolo Purente behind it.

But that said as much as I like the TH universe, what I think we all like is the gameplay, the Pathfinding system, and all the customizable character abilities.

So, I think I'd like to see a game set in the Dust Universe using the same game play mechanics as TH, maybe FFG could even make a game that uses all the currently available Dust Tactics figures. Of course the Path circles would need to be bigger as the DT bases are 30mm not 25mm, and they fully obscure the circles on the current maps.

But this all pretty much a mute point as Paolo has full control of Dust, FFG mearly distributes it, the don't have too much control over it, but they could still perhaps license the art ect.

I'd be all over a Dust-based game using the Pathfinder rules. I'd actually like to see FFG apply the Pathfinder rule set to a lot of their licenses. I'd love to see them do something with the Star Wars license using the Pathfinder rules even though it would be finacially stupid with the glut of SW minis out there, the Dust universe using Pathfinder would be fun, A Song of Ice and Fire would be a hoot as well and with the different houses it's seemingly tailor made for the Tannhauser rule set, something in the Twilight Imperium universe would also be fun.

It is sad news indeed…I've been playing the game since the wonky first edition. But thankfully, there's been a host of material, I'm still exploring all the possible combinations with all of the expansions! I hope the community sticks around, I remember some great conversions and custom units…and I can't see why we wouldn't be able to keep it going with our own material. Here's to hoping that Tannhauser under FFG is just down, and not out for the count….

Maybe its we the fans should ban togather make new material play test it then turn to the developers and go here now make a Tannhauser Kick starter so yeah it goes down this year but maybe next year we can bring it back to life. Also kick starter would shine light on to the game. We just need to find out how much money it we would need to make FFG breath new life

So many more map ideas and places Factions like Europe and China what are they doing so I dont think its an end if us the fans dont want it to end,.

Miah999 said:

I'll take an RPG or a LCG, but I think the TH universe is the problem here, it's pretty obscure and doen't have a personality like Paolo Purente behind it.

But that said as much as I like the TH universe, what I think we all like is the gameplay, the Pathfinding system, and all the customizable character abilities.

So, I think I'd like to see a game set in the Dust Universe using the same game play mechanics as TH, maybe FFG could even make a game that uses all the currently available Dust Tactics figures. Of course the Path circles would need to be bigger as the DT bases are 30mm not 25mm, and they fully obscure the circles on the current maps.

But this all pretty much a mute point as Paolo has full control of Dust, FFG mearly distributes it, the don't have too much control over it, but they could still perhaps license the art ect.

+1

I would enthusiastically back a Tannhauser Kickstarter. Boyfriend and I are huge fans; he owns every single expansion and built a custom box to house all of them with the main game. We're waiting for one of our distributors to get us a demo copy so we can start doing regular Tannhauser nights at our store.

wouldnt get anywhere with kickstart, i dont think enough people would back it plus it takes ages to release anything now, we would be waiting years for a minture!…love the game and all but it dont surprise me its gettting stopped.

If FFG has the Tannhauser mechanics, a Dust-version could be done…

There's now 8 axis heroes and 8 allies heroes released… could make a good starter set.

FFG already licensed Dust to do Dust Warfare, they could do it again for Dusthauser.

Few weeks ago Paolo Parente stated on the Dust Tactics Officials Fans Facebook group that there`s no way Dust Studio would pick up TH franchise, as one of the authors of the game back in the days just stole the idea of alternate WWII timeline from Paolo when they were working together for Rackham. It is a personal grudge.

Hi

just checking, did the original announcement state that FFG are still printing all existing products for tannhauser and will continue to do so for quite a while and that they are no longer producing new material and expansions

so there is no rush to buy up existing stock; it should be available for a while?

or have i mis read/ understood?

According to my sources they have more then a one year supply, and will probably reprint if it sells faster then that no guarentees though.

Played this for the first time at Gen Con this weekend. Kind of glad I didn't decide to sink a bunch of money into it!

Too bad, though, as I really like the game mechanics, and the setting is very interesting.

Sluggonics, if you liked the mechanics and the setting, there's no point in not getting into the game. Okay, there won't be any new expansions any more, but you'll have plenty of existing product to choose from - enough for years of new gaming experience if you'd ask me. There are a lot of games that are played for years or even decades without getting any expansions ever. And I have never heard anyone say: "I really like the mechanics of chess, but it's not worth getting into it because there won't be any new expansions!"

Okay, I admit it's not the best of examples, but my point is: If you liked the game, by all means buy and play it, it's great!

Late message but yes it is disappointing news. Although the last line of the article does hint they may not completely abandon ship. I just wonder if they refer to the game or the universe (like they did with Dust).

Hi

I just purchease the Novogrod expansion for £32.99 on Amazon when other retailers over here in the U.K are selling it for £47.99. Great bargain!

And an awesome expansion it is for that price.

Now my thoughts on the Tannhauser line is this- Go ahead buy it and play it its just an awesome game. the Two year hiatus they've announced is just a long term plan for the game. It wasn't so long ago that FFG announced that they were treating this line as a core line and would continue to support it till the sun dies. Or somethimg to that effect. I really think this planned freeze is to allow the gaming market to get rid of the existing Tannhauser products in order to wipe the slate clean ready for a New complete 2nd edition FFG only revamped game where all the products conform to thier own design brief.

Currently its a mess to get into because, -

you shell out for the main game but it comes with a revised rule book, or you had to buy it separately. many retailers probably still hold the older non-revised set still.

the much needed equipment cards are a separate expansion, but then some later expansions have them.

the crate counters' backs are non uniform between sets, and are replaced in a map pack, which itself is in error as it misses some of them out, some of the backs of the bonus tokens are wrong too

the health dials are poorly designed and should be integated with the stat card so that it can't come off and clearly identifies what the currebt health is

subtracting your stat from 10 is a clumsy add-on rule that while, getting FFG out of a fix, probably they would have liked to have redesigned the stat cards themselves, but was stuck due to the sets already released

the rule book has rules for expansions not in the base set , but when you but the expansions the rules in them are the old Toy company ones.

the pathe finder circles have similar hard to see colours and the spacing and adjacency is not brilliantly depicted

FFG loves this game which is why they have persevered with the old game and turned it into something better, and released new novels too. FFG need to halt this game for two years for to them bring it back in a much superior packaged 2nd edition deal.

to summarise the current Tannhauser is a 'revised' version of the game. the game needs a 2nd edition, and that not something they can simply release tomorrow.

be patient all and we shall be rewarded with more Tannhauser in 2 years

Second edition? Maybe. They actually might try new games with the path finding system now that I think of it.

Yeah, the Path Finding system would be great for the Star Wars franchise, same rule set even, switching the occult for the Force, Union for Rebels, Reich for Imperials etc.

the system would also be good for the Twilight Imperium setting or a Super hero setting [suppose Heroclix covers that] or even a Judge Dredd setting [ mongoose own the Dredd licence i think].

no given the accuisition of the Star Wars licence with FFG I think the PathFinder would fit really well with that.

A true second edition is what I expected from FFG when they first announced the revised rules. Sadly they went the less risky path of keeping the components the same and thus were also constrained by it.

My guess is that should they create a new edition for TH, it will be once the game itself is long out-of-print and will certainly bring more freshness to the game (new units, new format, new rules and of course new price). I also think that we'll get unpainted miniature with premium packs for those who want pre-painted ones.

But before that I really want FFG to try new game formats with the TH license; I really would appreciate a game offering a more broad aspect of the world maybe a risk-like game set within a specific theater of war (Europe first then Asia and Africa later), maybe a Cold War variation with locations and characters from the TH setting (4 factions to select from with alternate abilities) and of course more novels !