Sorcerer/Master Sorcerer

By user4574, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

DotDG says that a Psyker who gains the Sorcerer and Master Sorcerer Talents increase their Psy Rating by 1 for each. I know this takes them to an effective Psy Rating 8, but does the increase in Psy Rating let them take more powers as per psy ratings 1-6?

I would say yes, sorcerers gain more spells too

Agree, from Psy Rating 4, 5 and 6, you get the same, no reason why it should be different with 7 or 8.

But one thing that I never thought of before I read the Psy Rating talents again before this post, when you take Psy Rating 4 or higher and choose to take a new discipline instead of more powers in a discipline you already have, do you not gain any minor powers when doing so? (I don't want to hijack this thread so if a major discussion occurs I'll just make a new one.)

You gain minor powers at each Psy Rating, even if you choose a new discipline to take powers from instead

user4574 said:

You gain minor powers at each Psy Rating, even if you choose a new discipline to take powers from instead

But do you gain minor powers when you take Psy Rating 5? The book says you get minor powers in the description of every Psy Rating talent except Psy Rating 5...

I've never noticed that until now...I'll be treating that as a typo in the game I run, as it seems odd to not get any minor powers for that one Psy Rating. If a couple were like that, I'd treat it as written, but it does seem odd that only one of them doesn't let a psyker take minor powers

I think that was errata'd

Nope, the only Psy Rating that was errataed was PR2

Jan Solo said:

But do you gain minor powers when you take Psy Rating 5? The book says you get minor powers in the description of every Psy Rating talent except Psy Rating 5...

Nope, and in my opinion that is a good think.

Get a look at the sheer number of minor powers a psyker with with Willpower 36 (career start) and later Willpower 41 (totally achievable before Psy Rank 2) would have "harvested" before he would have reached Psy Rating 5. And remember, a psyker would be able to reach Willpower 51 before achieving Rank 4!

If Psy Rating 5 would allow for another heep of "minor powers", the text could as well be changed into "knows any minor power in the core rulebook" gran_risa.gif

So, the psykers keep a little "indiviual" in their minor powers. And I appriciate it.

Gregorius21778 said:

Nope, and in my opinion that is a good think.

Get a look at the sheer number of minor powers a psyker with with Willpower 36 (career start) and later Willpower 41 (totally achievable before Psy Rank 2) would have "harvested" before he would have reached Psy Rating 5. And remember, a psyker would be able to reach Willpower 51 before achieving Rank 4!

If Psy Rating 5 would allow for another heep of "minor powers", the text could as well be changed into "knows any minor power in the core rulebook" gran_risa.gif

So, the psykers keep a little "indiviual" in their minor powers. And I appriciate it.

Actually, you would most likely not have all minor powers in the core rulebook. With the Willpower advancement you suggested, that Psyker would have the following number of minor powers: 2 (Psy Rating 1); 4 (Psy Rating 2); 6 (Psy Rating 3); 9 (Psy Rating 4); 12 (Psy Rating 5). 12 out of 32 minor powers. And if you went with the Scholar career path you can acquire an additional 22 minor powers for the cost of 2200 XP, but you would only need 17 of those since you'll be able to buy Psy Rating 6, landing you on 15 out of 32 without having bought minor powers separately. If on the other hand you chose the Savant career path you cannot acquire Psy Rating 6 and can only buy 16 additional minor powers for the cost of 1600 XP, giving you a total of 28 out of 32 minor powers.

Not gaining any minor powers from Psy Rating 5 would only slightly lower the end result above; a Scholar would still be able to get all minor powers and a Savant could get 25 out of 32. And given the text in the begining of the Psy Rating 6 talent: " You have reached perhaps the greatest human potential with psychic powers and few can compare with your mastery ", I don' know if knowing all minor powers is really an impossible feat for such a person.

Oh, and don't forget that raising your Willpower from 36 to 41 before byuing Psy Rating 2 does absolutely nothing since the errata:

The Psy Rating 2 talent on page 120 should grant a character a number of Minor Psychic Powers equal to one-half his Willpower Bonus (round up). (p. 2)