Weapon training for Heavies and SP weapons in general

By Varn, in Game Mechanics

Since when has 40K ever been realistic or even reasonable? The tanks are designed terribly, they have anti-tank cavelry, cities that are MILES high, don't forget eh 8ft tall super soldiers with automatic rocket launchers and totally impractical armor, they have giant walking cathedrals (not to mention spaceships), see any sort of inovation as heresy and give no **** about wasting huge amounts of resources. I really don't care that the lasgun is "clearly superior", I want my troops armed with slug guns, if not for stat reasons, then for purely thematic ones. The fluff clearly supports this, so I see no reason for it not be an option.

Well this discussion is at least partially null and void right now since the Week 2 Update allowed (nearly?) every Speciality to grab SP whenever the get Las instead.

HOLY FLAMING HERETICS!

The new starting feats and gear for Heavies it basically word for word exactly what I wrote. Not trying to say I'm feeling rather smug right now, but **** I' feeling pretty smug right now. It's good to see that the devs pay attention to their players. GG everyone who though things needed changing.

Nice feeling, isn't it. :) Good job.

Now, if we can just get them to do something about Comrades…

Oh don't worry, that's what my next thread is going to be about. It makes no sense that a trained soldier is no more useful than a headless one armed chicken. There are plenty of good orders to go with comrades, but the comrades themselves are next to useless for most classes.

Varn said:

That's far too limiting in my opinion. The Heavy should get a good base of WT talents that cover all basic Heavy weapons and their favored weapon. This allows them to kit out in a way that makes them useful in jsut about any situation using just baseline weapons. If they can only get one type of weapon perid, then it makes it even harder for them to branch out, especially with the current XP costs/aptitude system already being so expensive.

What? I dont think you read it properly.

The heavy is not going to get a:

>" talents that cover all basic Heavy weapons and their favored weapon."

They start with 2 talents and 1 weapon.

They arnt allowed to:

> "kit out in a way that makes them useful in jsut about any situation"

Because of weight and because imperial guard will never get to train in all weapon systems, unless they spend a large amount of XP. Especially because they will never encounter all weapon systems in one game.

>"especially with the current XP costs/aptitude system already being so expensive"

As far as i know WepSpec starts with the right aptitudes to buy any training. Thats included in the decription of the character. Or atleast, should allways be.