Bolt Revolver?

By Cymbel, in Dark Heresy House Rules

A PC I play only uses "western" guns (Revolver, Lever/Pump/Bolt Action, Gatling (hand cranked), etc.). Some of the players chide me about what will I do when the others upgrade to bolt weapons (Side question: I am using a revolver with some tranter stats (larger caliber handcannon round) as my main sidearm, what else for SP CAN I go to? Besides more expensive ammo, which seems the endgame for me), which led to some of them joking my PC should use a "Bolt Revolver" I laughed it off, but I am a bit curious, what would a Bolt Revolver look like statwise?

Nowadays, a massive 'handcannon" in 500 S&W can only hold 5 rounds without being insanely huge(r than it already is), but bolt rounds are MUCH bigger. So how many rounds could it hold realistically? Too many and the cylinder becomes too large and unable to wear it or even hold it for long periods (like the actual biggest revolver in the world, which isn't practical in ANY sense, let alone to be used in combat.

And if a Bolt Revolver isn't possible, is there any way to make a western style Boltgun/pistol? I can probably reach endgame without needing one really, but the option could be nice, plus, Bolt Pistol.

Hi Cybmel,

if "practical" or "not to cumbersome" is something you worry about, forget about an Revolver Bolter.

Otherwise, Luddit made some house rule stuff
http://www.scribd.com/doc/66312597/Bolters-v2-2

Houserule yay! gran_risa.gif

Stats for a 3 cylinder Bolt Pistol I just made up.

Class:Pistol Range: 30m RoF: S/0/0 Dam: 1d10+5X Pen: 4 Clip: 3 Rld: 2Full Special: Reliable Wt: 2.5kg Cost: 350 Avil: V. Rare

Of course, you could always ask your GM that if you paid for a GQ weapon, that says it doesn't have a clip in it's description, could a lever action be integrated into it.

Example: In the description of the Angelus Bolt Carbine, page 109, IH, the description states that it has an internal magazine of 3, and is considered an illegal weapon. So, no reason why another modification can't be added to it for a price. Say, lever action mod.

Also the Nomad Hunting Rifle, pg 116 IH, is a very famous weapon. I'm sure there are allot of nobles, Rogue Traders, high ranking Imperial dignitaries, etc. that request certain modifications to their weapons. Who's to say no one ever requested it to be lever action at some point in time?

I mean heck, for a BQ weapon, I would install a lever just for looks. Does it do anything? Nope, but that shiny gold lever sure does look nice on my BQ chromed Melta-gun with a wooden colored butt stock. corazon.gif

Thanks for the two statlines, both look good, 4 shots is probably the best way to do it though. And a lever action Angelus could be cool, gotta look in that route. Speaking about BQ weapons, if/when we ascend, I plan to get a BQ vanaheim as my "free" weapon and let it pump as well as the full auto/semi-auto modes. Sadly a Nomad is too rare to be grabbed, but my PC WILL commission a lever action one eventually

Also a friend of mine gave me this

Class: Pistol (Bolt)
Range: 40m
ROF: S/-/-
Damage: 1d10+5 X
Pen: 4
Magazine: 5
Reload: 2Full
Special: Reliable, Accurate, Tearing
Wt: 3.5kg
Cost: 400
Availability: Very Rare

Cumbersome: While the Bolt revolver may be fired with one hand without penalty, it may not gain the benefits of aiming unless two hands are used to aim it

To give a sense of scale for what such a revolver may look like…here's a pic of a revolver we recovered from a weapon cache in Bosnia. The **** thing is bore'd for 12 ga.

582780_3566080307612_227405592_n.jpg

Cymbel said:

Thanks for the two statlines, both look good, 4 shots is probably the best way to do it though. And a lever action Angelus could be cool, gotta look in that route. Speaking about BQ weapons, if/when we ascend, I plan to get a BQ vanaheim as my "free" weapon and let it pump as well as the full auto/semi-auto modes. Sadly a Nomad is too rare to be grabbed, but my PC WILL commission a lever action one eventually

Also a friend of mine gave me this

Range: 40m
Special: Reliable, Accurate, Tearing
Cost: 400
Availability: Very Rare

Cumbersome: While the Bolt revolver may be fired with one hand without penalty, it may not gain the benefits of aiming unless two hands are used to aim it

I'd suggest something like this:

Ranger-pattern Bolt Revolver
Range: 30m
Special: Reliable, Tearing
Cost: 200
Availability: Rare

While the bolt pistol is a feared and respected sidearm across the Imperium, it is a temperamental weapon, prone to jamming if cared for improperly. While this normally is not a problem for military organizations such as the Imperial Guard or Adepta Sororitas or the well-connected such as rich noblemen, it is an especially dangerous problem for the Adeptus Arbites or other law enforcers, whose long-range patrols or undercover assignments may leave them without adequate supplies. Weapon jams at a critical moment are responsible for the deaths of many Arbitrators across the Calixis Sector. In an attempt to remedy this problem, the Westingkrup Fane has designed a bolt weapon based on one of the most ancient and time-tested designs in human history: the revolver.

The Ranger-pattern bolt pistol is a massive revolver chambered to fire .75 caliber bolt shells. Its blocky, solid adamantium frame is far from beautiful, but it is capable of withstanding tremendous punishment, both from adverse weather and the fierce recoil of the bolt rounds. While its rate of fire is lesser than a conventional bolt pistol, it is far more durable and will fire under even the most hostile of conditions. While some elements of the Adeptus Mechanicus have frowned on what they view as a cheapening of the holy bolter, the Adeptus Arbites is much more accepting of the Ranger-pattern, with many Arbitrators trading in their automatic bolt pistols for the solid, reliable revolver.

That's pretty awesome, how many shells does it hold?

Also Gittmasha, that is pretty cool, just not sure whether 4 or 5 shells would be best for the IMMENSE CALIBER

That real world garage-build? 6. But it's a beast. Somewhere I got an obligatory "John Woo-shot" with a sawed-off double barrel 12ga as well. Ah, good times.

I could sure imagine it would be!

Appoligies, as not meaning to make this a "look at me!" thing. Just figured this pic helped to provide another view and sense of scale for the concept of a Bolt Revolver.

599281_3566878327562_405158014_n.jpg

Oh no! It is pretty awesome to get a good solid picture like that of what it would look like, plus, it is cool to see. If you have more pics like that, it would be great to see them in a gallery. And looking at the other pic you posted, 4-5 bolt rounds seems the most logical without too much bulk.

Cymbel said:

Oh no! It is pretty awesome to get a good solid picture like that of what it would look like, plus, it is cool to see. If you have more pics like that, it would be great to see them in a gallery. And looking at the other pic you posted, 4-5 bolt rounds seems the most logical without too much bulk.

Of course "too much bulk" would be a relative term for such a weapon. Is in "I at least don't need to carry it in a patrol sling or weapon carriage". Just the odd comment involving inquires if that's a macro cannon or you're just happy.

Ha, not that bad I hope, Bolt Weapons have a manageable recoil for the size, from the two state firing (First to launch, second is ignition)

And Morgan, yeah, but you want to actually carry it somewhat. And the compensation jokes would get worse than they already are. (Who thought an Arbites Gal with a massive handcannon would elicit such)

Cymbel said:

Ha, not that bad I hope, Bolt Weapons have a manageable recoil for the size, from the two state firing (First to launch, second is ignition)

And Morgan, yeah, but you want to actually carry it somewhat. And the compensation jokes would get worse than they already are. (Who thought an Arbites Gal with a massive handcannon would elicit such)

But of course, just saying that's gotta be a massive and possibly annoying holster. Least in comparison to a drop-leg for something like a .40 or .45.

If that shotgun revolver can hold six shots, then five shots should be fine for the bolt revolver. It's as much as the Hand Cannon holds, and .75 cal bolt shells are only slightly wider than 12-gauge shells. Besides, there are bolt pistols that have 6-round mags (Sacristan, Mauler) but the Mauler is Reliable, faster to reload, and counts as Best craftsmanship for the person it's tailored for, and the Sacristan does more raw damage. The Ranger-pattern is supposed to be the cheap(er), rugged alternative, at the cost of reload speed and rate of fire. So don't miss.

Why not a 4 shot Sacristan Round revolver? You of all people know my PC wants the highest practical Firepower

Cymbel said:

Why not a 4 shot Sacristan Round revolver? You of all people know my PC wants the highest practical Firepower

"Practical" is not a word I would use to describe your PC.

4 rounds doesn't seem worth it at all, and Sacristan rounds probably are no wider than standard bolt shells. Even Astartes bolts are still .75 caliber. So, I guess you could make it 250 Thrones like the standard bolt pistol, with +1 damage and Reliable, the tradeoff being a slower reload, no semi-auto, and 3 fewer rounds per reload. Seems reasonable?

Sacristan "Ranger-Pattern" Bolt Revolver

RoF: S/-/–

Damage: 1d10+6 X

Pen 4

Clip : 4

Reload: 2 Full

Special: Reliable/Tearing

Weight: 3.0 kg

Cost 400

Other: Requires a SB of 4 to use one handed, otherwise the user suffers a -10 to hit.

While the bolt pistol is a feared and respected sidearm across the Imperium, it is a temperamental weapon, prone to jamming if cared for improperly. While this normally is not a problem for military organizations such as the Imperial Guard or Adepta Sororitas or the well-connected such as rich noblemen, it is an especially dangerous problem for the Adeptus Arbites or other law enforcers, whose long-range patrols, undercover assignments or cross-system manhunts may leave them without adequate supplies or the convenience of an Adeptus Mechanicus blessing . Weapon jams at a critical moment are responsible for the deaths of many Arbitrators across the Calixis Sector. In an attempt to remedy this problem, the Westingkrup Fane has designed a bolt pistol based on one of the most ancient and time-tested designs in human history: the revolver.

The Ranger-pattern bolt pistol is a massive revolver based chambered to fire the Sacristan 'Magnum' .75 caliber bolt shells. Its blocky, solid adamantium frame emphasizes form over function, capable of withstanding tremendous punishment, both from adverse weather and the fierce recoil of the bolt rounds. While its rate of fire is lesser than a conventional bolt pistol, it is far more durable and will fire under even the most hostile of conditions. While some elements of the Adeptus Mechanicus have frowned on what they view as a Gunmetal Hive knock-off of the holy bolter, the Adeptus Arbites is much more accepting of the Ranger-pattern, with many Arbitrators trading in their automatic bolt pistols for the solid, reliable revolver.

Cymbel said:

Sacristan "Ranger-Pattern" Bolt Revolver

RoF: S/-/–

Pen 4

Clip : 4

Reload: 2 Full

Special: Reliable/Tearing

Weight: 3.0 kg

Cost 400

Other: Requires a SB of 4 to use one handed, otherwise the user suffers a -10 to hit.

While the bolt pistol is a feared and respected sidearm across the Imperium, it is a temperamental weapon, prone to jamming if cared for improperly. While this normally is not a problem for military organizations such as the Imperial Guard or Adepta Sororitas or the well-connected such as rich noblemen, it is an especially dangerous problem for the Adeptus Arbites or other law enforcers, whose long-range patrols, undercover assignments or cross-system manhunts may leave them without adequate supplies or the convenience of an Adeptus Mechanicus blessing . Weapon jams at a critical moment are responsible for the deaths of many Arbitrators across the Calixis Sector. In an attempt to remedy this problem, the Westingkrup Fane has designed a bolt pistol based on one of the most ancient and time-tested designs in human history: the revolver.

The Ranger-pattern bolt pistol is a massive revolver based chambered to fire the Sacristan 'Magnum' .75 caliber bolt shells. Its blocky, solid adamantium frame emphasizes form over function, capable of withstanding tremendous punishment, both from adverse weather and the fierce recoil of the bolt rounds. While its rate of fire is lesser than a conventional bolt pistol, it is far more durable and will fire under even the most hostile of conditions. While some elements of the Adeptus Mechanicus have frowned on what they view as a Gunmetal Hive knock-off of the holy bolter, the Adeptus Arbites is much more accepting of the Ranger-pattern, with many Arbitrators trading in their automatic bolt pistols for the solid, reliable revolver.

Wow, something that is both simultaneously more expensive than the Sacristan while still managing to be worse in every way. Do you see why your PC isn't practical?

Then change it! The point of this sub-forum is to fine tune and tweak

Edit: and **** I meant to say "Function over form" I derped bad

Sorry, did a double post

Ranger-pattern Bolt Magnum
Special: Reliable, Tearing
Cost: 250

Requires an SB of 4 to use one-handed, or the wielder suffers -10 to hit due to recoil.

Same cost as the generic bolt pistol, adds Reliable and +1 damage, but the downsides are smaller magazine size, slower reload, no semi-auto fire, and the recoil. Seems like a reasonable tradeoff.

Well, the sacristan does hold -2 rounds compared to all the other, so if a normal bolt revolver holds 5, it makes sense for this kind to hold 4 in my opinion. I would price it a little more, but you were right, 400 thrones was too much.

Boss Gitsmasha said:

Cost: 250

Cymbel said:

I would price it a little more, but you were right, 400 thrones was too much.

Cost: 251 gran_risa.gif