Question about Hellblades

By Fenrisnorth, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

DJSunhammer said:

I don't see why not.

I can see a *couple* of reasons why not (although they aren't necessarily good reasons). Firstly by strict RAW they aren't on the list, and therefore aren't compatible (although this doesn't make a massive amount of sense since Daemon and Force weapons are all fine), secondly the Hellblade is pretty darned good, so you might deliberately want to avoid terminator-armour-plus-hellblades as a combination.

bogi_khaosa said:

Chastity said:

Which will do you no good at all against a Horde, and if the Horde is fighting alongside a more powerful enemy, then by the time you've "charged up" by slaughtering the Horde the more powerful enemy is probably either dead or killing you.

This… doesn't make sense. You fight the Horde, get your + 50 damage, then run over and slice the tank in half that your other party members are fighting.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. A warp weapon reaper autocannon or heavy bolter with incendiaries of Tzeentch can destroy tanks in one salvo anyway.

If you are charging up a hellblade by killing either the helpless slaves you dragged along (and make no mistake, this has to be done WHILE THE FIGHT IS GOING ON!!! as its measured per-encounter), or attacking a horde first, you are giving time for the tank to pound away on you (and few people, even Khornate CSM, can "tank" a tank focus firing on them). You are wasting several rounds.

On top of this, you must still zoom over and attack said tank. Not sure about ranges in 40k, but IRL, tanks can shoot you from miles away. You have a sword. A death sword that kills in one hit, after you have spent several rounds charging it up. Against a tank that can kill you from miles away. Good luck!

This is not broken, this is not a bug, this is a feature.

A classic trope about cultists and chaos followers is that if you patiently let them perform their EVILLL sacrifices, you are a dumbass who is about to die horribly.

"Perhaps my sarcasm was not detected. I would think that the occurrences of an individual that is NOT aligned with Khorne, using a Hellblade, would be exceptionally rare. I know that if I was GM'ing, and a Tzeentchian aligned character tried to pick one up, I would have Khorne reward his audacity with an especially foul gift. The Ruinous Powers are neither blind, nor forgiving of trespasses. This is Black Crusade."

Yes, this is Black Crusade, a game in which the dickery of the Chaos Gods is thankfully mainly limited to certain intervals of Corruption, rituals, and psychic powers. The integrity and value of the game is massively harmed if the GM just has the Chaos Gods randomly screw over the PCs. Even Lost & Damned and Slaves to Darkness is nothing like that, as unforgiving as those games were.
The chance that your character may have his face erased or his skin melted off, or that your psyker has a 1 in 20 chance of being permanently, irrevocably destroyed if you push, are good examples of the caprice of the chaos gods, and they are all the capriciousness they need. They don't need to have to deal with a petty GM randomly invoking houserules to make being a player less fun.

Exercise some self control and fairness as a GM. The PCs are all most likely going to wind up as Chaos Spawn by the rules, they don't need you making houserules to screw them over.

Deinos said:

Yes, this is Black Crusade, a game in which the dickery of the Chaos Gods is thankfully mainly limited to certain intervals of Corruption, rituals, and psychic powers. The integrity and value of the game is massively harmed if the GM just has the Chaos Gods randomly screw over the PCs. Even Lost & Damned and Slaves to Darkness is nothing like that, as unforgiving as those games were.
The chance that your character may have his face erased or his skin melted off, or that your psyker has a 1 in 20 chance of being permanently, irrevocably destroyed if you push, are good examples of the caprice of the chaos gods, and they are all the capriciousness they need. They don't need to have to deal with a petty GM randomly invoking houserules to make being a player less fun.

Exercise some self control and fairness as a GM. The PCs are all most likely going to wind up as Chaos Spawn by the rules, they don't need you making houserules to screw them over.

I don't see how it is "dickish" to politely warn a Slaaneshi warrior that it would not be a good idea to attempt to wield a Hellblade and tempt the wrath of Khorne. I would expect the PC to use some insight, perhaps come up with something more cunning, like attempt to corrupt the blade or use it as a platform for a Daemon weapon. That kind of ingenuity and opportunity of character would be rewarded.

If you think a GM requiring some foresight and roleplay out of his PC's is petty and uncontrolled, let me just say I am glad I don't have you in my group.