Tauros Rapid strike vehicle

By boooh, in Only War Beta

Tauros
Type : Wheeled vehicle
Tactical speed: 18m
max speed: 130 kph
cruising speed : 70 kph ( depends on terrain)
structual integrity: 15
Manoeuvrability: +10
size: Hulking
Armour: Front 20 Side 20 Rear 20
Vehicle traits: open topped, wheeled vehicle, rugged
crew: 1 driver, 1 gunner, 1 passagier (due to open toped the crew can fire their own weapons while inside the Tauros)
carriyng capacity: 250kg supply´s (normal variant) 500kg (venator variant)
Weapons:
Pintle mounted: (choose one)

Heavy Flamer (30m; S/-/-; 1d10+5 E; Pen 4; Clip 20;Reload 2 Full; Flame, Spray)
Heavy Stubber (100m; -/-/8 1d10+4 I; Pen3; Clip 100; Reload 2 Full)
Grenade launcher (60m; S/-/-; special; Clip 12; Reload 2 Full)

Venator variant
Turret mounted
Lascannon ( 300m; S/-/-; 5d10+10 E; Pen 10; Clip 30; Reload 2 Full; Proven[3])
Multi-laser ( 150m; -/-/5; 2d10+10 E; Pen 2 Clip 100; Reload 2 Full; Reliable, Twin linked)
M34 Autocannon ( 300m; S/3/-; 3d10+8 I; Pen 6; Clip 40; Reload 2 Full; Reliable)

Special Rules: The Tauros posses a highly efficient galvanic motor
Clip size of mounted Las Weapons may be ignored
No Logistic Roll is necessary to obtain Fuel as long as the base of opperations has a sufficent power supply

Any thoughts about this ? (good , improvable, total crap ^^)

I was thinking about it with the reconnaissance, drop troopsand light regiment in mind

Looking at the model, the Armor seems way too high, and it should give almost no protection to the crew. Slight cover at best.

I don't know if I would go more than 8 for armor, 10 for the Venator. In this range you are in Power Armor territory, even this seems on the high side to me.

It's an air drop vehicle, it needs to be as light as possible.

taurosa5.jpg

I also need to add, the idea of a flamer mounted directly above the driver, with no protection for him, is just colossally stupid design.

I was basicly working with the infos I got from the Lexicanum and the Imperial Armour 8

yup its not the most intelligent idea to use heavy flamer but in the Imperial Armour 8 they are equiped with Heavy Flamers so i added it.

The amour Rating would be Argueable but even the scout bike from Rouge Trader Into the Storm gets such an high armour as

Front 16, sinde and rear 12

but it would be reasonble to drop it to 8 - 10

additional I was thinking of giving the Tauros some sort of silent running enginge so that to catch one with hearing you would have to make an Challenging Awareness test

Perhaps lower the armour to 12 or 15, but get the maneuvrability up, as it is a recon vehicle, fast and light; perhaps even a roll cage, so it it loose contorl andf llip,s you can still flip it on its wheels by hand and keep going.

Haven't seen the TT rules for this thing, but how different is it from an Ork Warbuggy armour wise? I don't see why it should be so significantly less. Also, lack of passenger armour does not equal the vehicle having less armour. That is what open topped is for.

I'd increase the size to Enormous (the same size as an Ork Warbuggy/Sentinel Walker), increase Manoeuvrability to +15, and increase Structural Integrity to 20.

Basically, it has slightly less armour and SI than an Ork Warbuggy, but it more manoeuvrable instead, as well as being able to carry an extra passenger (I'd possibly increase it to 2 extra passengers, as they can perch either side of the driver) and some gear.

boooh said:

Tauros
structual integrity: 15
Manoeuvrability: +10
size: Hulking
Armour: Front 20 Side 20 Rear 20
Vehicle traits: open topped, wheeled vehicle, rugged
crew: 1 driver, 1 gunner, 1 passagier (due to open toped the crew can fire their own weapons while inside the Tauros)
Weapons:

Heavy Flamer (30m; S/-/-; 1d10+5 E; Pen 4; Clip 20;Reload 2 Full; Flame, Spray)
Heavy Stubber (100m; -/-/8 1d10+4 I; Pen3; Clip 100; Reload 2 Full)
Grenade launcher (60m; S/-/-; special; Clip 12; Reload 2 Full)

Venator variant
Turret mounted
Multi-laser ( 150m; -/-/5; 2d10+10 E; Pen 2 Clip 100; Reload 2 Full; Reliable, Twin linked)
M34 Autocannon ( 300m; S/3/-; 3d10+8 I; Pen 6; Clip 40; Reload 2 Full; Reliable)

No Logistic Roll is necessary to obtain Fuel as long as the base of opperations has a sufficent power supply

Any thoughts about this ? (good , improvable, total crap ^^)

Been meaning to do stats for a Personnel Carrier version of the Venator. Figuring there are times once the drop troops are down and don't have free access to Valkyries and need to move infantry quickly. Also for those Guard regiments that follow a Light Motorized or Light Cavalry (Mechanized) doctrine.

As an aside, always been uncomfortable with the Heavy Flamer option. Think, an open-frame combat vehicle that relies on speed for survival with a Flamer? Don't fire forward when moving. The AGL (or Heavy Bolter or Heavy Stubber) always seemed more appropriate options.

Oh, and your Grenade Launcher needs to be Burst and Auto-fire with a clip size around 30+ as it is the Guard version of the US Mk. 19 Automatic Grenade Launcher or the German H&K GMG which are "grenade machine guns".

Ok, next version

Tauros
structual integrity: 20
Manoeuvrability: +15
size: enormous
Armour: Front 12 Side 12 Rear 12
Vehicle traits: open topped, wheeled vehicle, rugged, enhanced motive systems
crew: 1 driver, 1 gunner, 1 passagier
Weapons:
Heavy Bolter ( 150m; -/-/6; 1d10+8 X; Pen 5; Clip 60; Reload Full)
Heavy Stubber (100m; -/-/8; 1d10+4 I; Pen3; Clip 100; Reload 2 Full)
Grenade launcher (60m; S/3/-; special; Clip 30; Reload 2 Full)

Venator variant
Hunter-Killer Missile (350m; S-/-; 3d10+6 X; Pen 7; Clip 2; Reload 2 Full; Blast [5])
May not be loaded with special amunition, reload only when vehicle stands still, only front facing firing arc.

Turret mounted choose one
M34 Autocannon ( 300m; S/3/-; 3d10+8 I; Pen 6; Clip 50; Reload 2 Full; Reliable)

A recent introduced version of the venator frame build as a carrier uses the pintle mounted weapon from the normal version but increases the passagier capacity by 2

Silent engine: To spot a tauros with hearing one has to make a challenging (+0) Awareness test.
Passagiers may fire their own weapons from inside the vehicle, due to the small space inside they may only fire in limited directions
co driver : front, right
other passenger: only left or right

I've done some rules the Tauros. I would link them if these forums would work. I'll try again later.

MILLANDSON said:

I'd increase the size to Enormous (the same size as an Ork Warbuggy/Sentinel Walker)

Isn't a Sentinel Hulking rather than enormous

Braddoc said:

MILLANDSON said:

I'd increase the size to Enormous (the same size as an Ork Warbuggy/Sentinel Walker)

Isn't a Sentinel Hulking rather than enormous

Hmm…. the rules say Hulking, but the size trait section uses the Sentinel to describe the Enormous size…

Either way, I'd say the Tauros is the same size, roughly, as an Ork Warbuggy, and those do use the Enormous size.

Boooh, I'd bump your carrier version of the Venator up to 6 or 8. That keeps it comparable to current long wheel base Long Range Patrol Vehicles seen today with SOF forces like Australian SAS. This lets one or two carry a full squad (one if the driver and TC bail out to fight as infantry once on site).

MorganKeyes said:

Boooh, I'd bump your carrier version of the Venator up to 6 or 8. That keeps it comparable to current long wheel base Long Range Patrol Vehicles seen today with SOF forces like Australian SAS. This lets one or two carry a full squad (one if the driver and TC bail out to fight as infantry once on site).

The one I wrote up carries four. They Tauros isn't a very big vehicle.

I´d rather not push the passanger capacity too much, because then there would be no place to mount the weapon what was my main purpose to make this build.

It would be better to let the squad have two tauros than one big variant, to transpost more man you could choose the chimera with enough space for all.

I build this one based on the imerial armoury for use with the hunter killer, recon and droop troop regiment as a light vehicle not as a mass troop carrier, so you could add to the reconnaissance and hunter killer entry: "or two tauros (or variant) per squad"

boooh said:

I´d rather not push the passanger capacity too much, because then there would be no place to mount the weapon what was my main purpose to make this build.

It would be better to let the squad have two tauros than one big variant, to transpost more man you could choose the chimera with enough space for all.

I build this one based on the imerial armoury for use with the hunter killer, recon and droop troop regiment as a light vehicle not as a mass troop carrier, so you could add to the reconnaissance and hunter killer entry: "or two tauros (or variant) per squad"

When you referenced a "Carrier" version, I thought you were referring to "personnel carrier". My own thoughts were on a Tauros Venator that exchanges the heavy weapons and uses the freed up space in the rear for troop capacity. Now, why such a version? Well there are a number of Light Infantry type forces that don't keep Chimeras in their inventories, but have a need to move troops by means other then LPCs (Leather Personnel Carriers; ie boots). Drop troop regiments are a prime example. They're not going to have unlimited and endless access to Valkyries, but will need to move rapid.

As far as a Venator not being big enough to carry a squad element, here's a real world example of a similar vehicle:

lrpv_afg9_big.jpg

This is an Australian SASR's Perentie Long Range Patrol Vehicle. Rather Venator'esque, neh? Rear bed capacity is about what you'd find with the Personnel Carrier versions of the HMMWV, which is six (and eight in a pinch). And thus the notion I had of a Venator-PC variant for those regiments set up as Light Motorized or Air-Mech Strike.

Sounds reasonable, so what about this version

you could choose either

Tauros normal version (with higher manoeuvrability maybe (+20)

Tauros venator with either Hunter killer equipment or transport ( either heavy weapon equipment or crew of 5 and normal version weaponry )

or Tauros Carrier (with passanger capability of 8 but no mounted weaponry on ballancing purpose)

passengers my fire their own weapons in directed firing arcs (right or left and co-driver front and right)

boooh said:

you could choose either

Tauros venator with either Hunter killer equipment or transport ( either heavy weapon equipment or crew of 5 and normal version weaponry )

or Tauros Carrier (with passanger capability of 8 but no mounted weaponry on ballancing purpose)

passengers my fire their own weapons in directed firing arcs (right or left and co-driver front and right)

Pretty good.

A compromise on the carrier? It possess one or more pintel or ring mounts to use a squad's heavy or support weapon(s) not to exceed,…a heavy bolter or heavy stubber? (with that thought, the Guard could REALLY use a SAW or GPMG version of the lasgun…)

MorganKeyes said:

boooh said:

you could choose either

Pretty good.

A compromise on the carrier? It possess one or more pintel or ring mounts to use a squad's heavy or support weapon(s) not to exceed,…a heavy bolter or heavy stubber? (with that thought, the Guard could REALLY use a SAW or GPMG version of the lasgun…)

They already have one, it's called a Multi-Laser.

DJSunhammer said:

MorganKeyes said:

boooh said:

you could choose either

Pretty good.

They already have one, it's called a Multi-Laser.

If infantry could carry it, you'd be on track. But they can't. As far as fluff goes, you only see the Multi-Laser on AFVs and aircraft.

What I'm talking about is the Guard lasgun-equivilent to the M249 SAW, RPK-74, M240 GPMG, etc. Something that is carried by the squad for fire support, and doesn't stretch suspension of disbelief as having them easily haul weapons that stat-wise no different for main armament found on some AFVs,…or that use ammo that runs contrary to Guard doctrine of simplifying resupply and logistics (ie., Bolt shells…for instance).

There was transport pattern Tauros in novel Hammer and Anvil used by Adepta Sororitas, I can´t recall it´s name but its transport capacity was 2 drivers + 5 passangers

Might wanna use this?

Medium Stubber: Basic, 100m, S/-/10, 1d10+3I, Pen 2, 50/100, 1/2Full; 8kg; Average
-Note: -5 & -15 on Semi/Full Auto when not braced. Counts as Basic when given Suspensors. Uses Box Clips & Belt Clips.

This fills a nice niche of a SAW when your party lacks a Heavy Gunner

Frankie said:

Might wanna use this?

Medium Stubber: Basic, 100m, S/-/10, 1d10+3I, Pen 2, 50/100, 1/2Full; 8kg; Average
-Note: -5 & -15 on Semi/Full Auto when not braced. Counts as Basic when given Suspensors. Uses Box Clips & Belt Clips.

This fills a nice niche of a SAW when your party lacks a Heavy Gunner

Just me, but'd be even better if a SAW based on the lasgun for commonality.

But nice stats still!