Has anyone received Lost Rites yet?

By ssjevot, in CoC General Discussion

My prediction is that we'll see some upswing in the use of Conspiracies, at least in casual play if not at the top - both from better Conspiracies and more cards that enhance them like Amaranth.

amaranth.png

Will it be enough that older Conspiracy cards start showing up? I don't know. I suspect that with some more Conspiracy-supporting cards we'd find that the existing ones work well enough to include once we get over our predisposed notion not to use them.

Previous Conspiracy formats were generally of two types: "If you win this story, then [something happens]", or "All your characters committed to this story gain [icon or ability]". The problem with the first format, of course, was that you weren't guaranteed to win the story. The payout for putting it into play was too far off and too uncertain to make it worthwhile. The problem with the second type is that it really only benefited one strategy: flooding. Hence, they just didn't have a place in a lot of decks.

I think with the latest expansion packs, FFG has figured out a Conspiracy format that works. Other Conspiracies that saw use tended to be those with an immediate and dramatic game effect, or which completely upended the icon struggles: specifically, Perambulans and (less frequently) Unorthodox Tactics. But the recent expansion saw two cards that completely change the story struggle, and hence are much more tempting to include. As such, I do think we will see both more Conspiracies and more ways to use them.

Also, another ST character with a Conspiracy related ability is good news; it may mean we will get a ST Conspiracy card yet.

Runix said:

"All your characters committed to this story gain [icon or ability]". The problem … is that it really only benefited one strategy: flooding. Hence, they just didn't have a place in a lot of decks.

I think the key issue here was ruling that "your" referred to all players rather than just the player who played the Conspiracy card. This meant that whatever benefits it gave were shared equally and the person who spent the effort in deck space and resources to play the card wasn't rewarded enough for it. The side with more characters benefitted more, but if you weren't confident that you'd ALWAYS be that side you wouldn't take it.

You did get the benefit of first crack at it, and not playing it until you could capitalize on that for an early story lead, but this wasn't quite enough. If the owner got some bonuses and the other player didn't I think you'd have seen these type of Conspiracies used much more often.

Here's another prediction, I think we will see stories that not all characters can commit to. These criteria may be based on icons, skill, or particular traits/keywords. ie - Can't commit with skill less than 2, Monsters can't commit, etc…

Very possible, and could make for interesting gameplay.

That relates to the issue of what makes Perambulans so powerful: it radically changes, not just the icon struggle and the outcome of the story, but the rest of the game, as weaker characters could not commit to other stories. I think that was problematic enough that we won't see another exactly like it, but we may see some variations, as you mentioned, on who can be committed to the Conspiracy story (only), or under what conditions.

For conditions, "cannot commit alone" would be a likely one I think, as there are already cards that provide a similar effect. Alternately, "can only commit one character" might be interesting too.

Runix said:

As for Jenica Capra, I think that has to be a mistake, as otherwise you could cycle through your entire deck, pick out all the attachments, and know exactly what order your cards will be in. I have to think that that will be errata'd to "(Limit once per turn.)" in very short order.

Damon confirmed that was a printer's error and will be corrected in the next FAQ. Should be once per turn.

I don't know if this was ever resolved, but I have received Lost Rites. It was at my LFGS on Tuesday. I have posted a pdf spoiler of it at Boardgamegeek. I also email it out to those who want it (though I know most just use the deckbuilder, which is a nice program.)

FET wording discussion made us ignore the real problematic card

Combing the Archives

Type: Conspiracy Faction: Miskatonic University

Cost: 0

Struggles: AAII

If you win this conspiracy, put into play under your control all Tome support cards in each player's discard pile.

This one is praety clear on what it does, protects nerds by having no T and C and adds one more I that helps them.

Any ideas on how to play against it? Looks like a card that might be more dreadful than infamous Khopesh :D

Combing the Archives seems pretty strong indeed. When the Miskatonic-faction-box is coming out, I'll try a nerd rush-deck with it happy.gif

For countering it: Either stalling cards, I like Dark Quagmire (especially its drawing), it will slow your opponent down, and it's not so easy to get rid of it. And it is useful against all deck types, except milling decks. Problem is, when your opponent gets out Combing the Archives and Open for Inspection. So you need to have Get it Off! in your hand, too. Or Dreams in Limbo, this is very helpful in that situation.

Or you go for direct wounding/destruction… Shotgun, Shotgun Blast, the Khopesh (if you can set it up fast enough). Lightning Gun and Sleep of Reason add lots of T/C struggle, which should hurt the Miskatonic deck if you play a combat or terror-focused deck anyway.

The so called 'infamous' Kopesh turned out to be infamously less dreadful than many 'players' prophesied so if you mean the impact of 'Combing the Archives' on the meta will be largely overblown on the forums then in that respect I agree with the comparison.

.Zephyr. said:

FET wording discussion made us ignore the real problematic card

Combing the Archives

Type: Conspiracy Faction: Miskatonic University

Cost: 0

Struggles: AAII

If you win this conspiracy, put into play under your control all Tome support cards in each player's discard pile.

This one is praety clear on what it does, protects nerds by having no T and C and adds one more I that helps them.

Any ideas on how to play against it? Looks like a card that might be more dreadful than infamous Khopesh :D

.Zephyr. said:

If it really is the secret dreaded tech that dominates your meta, then play a Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris (or the counter to "The horror that walks in darkness": "Foiled!" if you are more worried about those big mean tomes) against it.

Instant non-issue.

Notice how Negotium comes up a lot when discussing meta? Its because its good against rush, and then some.

Notice how Combing the archives doesnt come up in discussions (other than your own) as a problem card? Because cards such as Negotium, which are good, give the big fat middle finger to that nerd conspiracy.

Now the real question is, which is the real troubling card?

9 out of 10 doctors will agree it isnt combing the archives.

It may indeed be all that you fear it is in the future, but concerning the card pool we do have or know about right now, describing the paranoia surrounding combing the archives as histrionic, is an understatement.

There are plenty of cards and characters that add or change struggles at story cards, so I don't think Combing the Archives is a major threat at all.

I was thinking about Parallel universe and effects like Ravager from the deep, Dynamite. So there are quite a few options. Hmm maybe it wont be that problematic as i thought.

I still thing in more casual format with small card pool it might be "I win" card, but there are some cards like that and you can decide not to play with it in your group.

Hmm we'll see.

midnight rendevous is an answer. no investigation struggles at attached story. woop-la.

COCLCG said:

midnight rendevous is an answer. no investigation struggles at attached story. woop-la.

My Serpents/Insanity deck has many answers with Sleep of Reason, Guardian Beast, and a card from this very set, The King in Yellow Folio.

Has anyone in the UK found a copy of this yet? I received Unspeakable Pages from my usual supplier but no one seems to have Lost Rites in stock or available? Did I miss the boat or has there been some sort of weird supply issue?