Has anyone received Lost Rites yet?

By ssjevot, in CoC General Discussion

I noticed Amazon and others have it up, and I'm definitely getting it for the The King in Yellow Folio, but I was wondering if anyone could post a list of the news cards.

I'm still seeing it listed as PreOrder on Miniature Market, but other places do seem to have it.

Anyway, haven't seen it here. This afternoon I'll call the local store and see if they have an estimated date yet when they'll have it in.

FFG EC usually has the new AP in stock on the Tuesday of the week of "Now shipping" update.

If no one else has posted it by Thursday night, I'll post a spoiler at Cardgame DB .

I normally wait until each cycle is complete before I buy their respective packs, but this cycle has been pretty exciting so I have been breaking that habit.

Called the local store, they're expecting to get it either Tuesday or Wednesday next week - but probably Wednesday.

If nobody's posted by the time I get it I'll put up spoilers too.

Also, anyone know if Lost Rites going to be legal for Gencon? If not, what is the cutoff? I would think that ~6 weeks is sufficient time to allow it but FFG may not see it that way.

My understanding is 30 days.

OK, good. 30 days would include Lost Rites, but not The Unspeakable Pages which comes out shortly before the con.

So now I'm even more anxious to get my hands on this pack and start designing my deck. I've got a couple candidates, but a really interesting card could easily sway me towards one or another or even something new.

Hellfury said:

Wow some great cards in there. More serpents for my serpents deck (awesome!). Lot of cards that take advantage of and make Tome decks more viable. I think my favorite card though is Abhorrent Spore. A free attachment to protect you from those annoying character destruction cards. Everyone's favorite Ancient One gets a second chance.

Also does anyone else find it weird how many Elder Things we have, but they aren't their own subtype? I also missed the part where Abhorrent Spore cannot be played on an Ancient One, which makes it a little less powerful, but still a great card.

Thanks for the spoilers! I'm digging the new Hastur tome, might have to rebuild my insanity deck!

Does the agency relic hunter not have the limitation of once a turn or a cost to activate the action? Else you can look up all your agency support cards in one turn. Would be great with all those nice attachements and mister Price.

I also really like the hastur attachment. Always had some ideas of an insanity deck but never actually made one. Now its maybe time to do so.

Abhorrent spore is also nice in combination when playing cthulhu / shub. Just put terror of the tides in play for 3. Give it Khopesh and abhorrent and after blowing away three characters you have a fresh Terror with 5 toughness. Then its waiting for drawing Khopesh again. It does take three cards, but when playing Cthulhu its most often an auto-include Terror/Khopesh.

Thanks for the spoiler.

Wow, looks like a great expansion. FFG has really stepped it up with this recent cycle.

What I particularly like is how well the cards work together -and how well they work against prevailing strategies. Looking at a card like Professor Zeus, it's very clear he's designed to help keep Tomes in play, and specifically against the very prevalent character destruction and character removal. And he's able to retrieve Tomes after they get hit by support removal. Very nice card all around.

As Darkman noted, Abhorrent Spore is potentially very powerful, and can do a lot to keep a Khopesh wielder and/or a critical character alive. Thankfully, it's Shub Steadfast, so it won't be an in-every-deck card like Snow Graves.

And as Darkman also noted, Hastur has seen some very powerful boosts in recent expansions. Particularly given its ability to remove Terror icons and Willpower with various card effects, it is now the undisputed master of the Terror struggle. Will be interesting to see if Hastur is able to put together some serious insanity decks that will work even against big monster decks.

A tiny bit disappointed not to see any Silver Twilight Conspiracy cards, though. Maybe next pack . . .

ssjevot said:

Also does anyone else find it weird how many Elder Things we have, but they aren't their own subtype?

Yeah, that is a bit odd. Also, does it seem to anyone else like most of the Elder Thing cards are kind of subpar? Other than Constricting, I can't recall the last time I've seen anyone use one of them. Makes me want to try an Elder Thing themed deck now :) The new Feral Elder Thing seems to be an exception though, I'm really excited to try him out. We were just talking the other day about how hand-discarding cards like Byakhee Attack were a possible counter against Glimpse of the Void and heyho - here's another brand new hand discarding card that works every turn.

Runix said:

Wow, looks like a great expansion. FFG has really stepped it up with this recent cycle.

What I particularly like is how well the cards work together -and how well they work against prevailing strategies. Looking at a card like Professor Zeus, it's very clear he's designed to help keep Tomes in play, and specifically against the very prevalent character destruction and character removal. And he's able to retrieve Tomes after they get hit by support removal. Very nice card all around.

Agreed, this is a really cool pack and the whole Revelations cycle has gone above and beyond in quality. It makes me excited to see what's going to be in the remaining packs and what they have planned for the next set.

Runix said:

As Darkman noted, Abhorrent Spore is potentially very powerful, and can do a lot to keep a Khopesh wielder and/or a critical character alive. Thankfully, it's Shub Steadfast, so it won't be an in-every-deck card like Snow Graves.

I have mixed feelings about this card precisely BECAUSE it works so well with Khopesh, and Shub was already a favored faction to pair up with the Khopesh anyway. We'll have to see how it works out, but I hope this doesn't trigger a new wave of Khopesh + Spore decks.

dboeren said:

I have mixed feelings about this card precisely BECAUSE it works so well with Khopesh, and Shub was already a favored faction to pair up with the Khopesh anyway. We'll have to see how it works out, but I hope this doesn't trigger a new wave of Khopesh + Spore decks.

I don't think so, at least not at the tournament level. I suspect that most tournament decks by now have a lot of direct character removal and a lot of support removal, so either way they should be able to deal with it. I suppose I can see Khopesh-wielding Guardian Shoggoths with an attached Spore wreaking havoc in casual play, though.

True about tournament play, but casual play is important as well because it's the way that we grow the game community. Anything that would leave new players with a sour taste is something I want to keep an eye on.

It's still a great set though and I can't wait to pick it up. Wednesday feels so far away right now…

Darkman said:

Does the agency relic hunter not have the limitation of once a turn or a cost to activate the action?

None listed on the card, unlike Danni Devine.

Anyone else wonder how long the effect of the O.E.S. Ring lasts for? I can only assume it lasts until the character is either removed from played or driven insane or the attachment is removed from play.

Regarding the O.E.S. Ring, I just looked that up - as stated in the FAQ, Official Rules Clarifications 1.7, effects last until the end of the phase unless otherwise specified, excepting "put into play", "remove from play", and "take control" effects. Most of the cards that are similar specify "until the end of the phase", so that would make sense. I suspect they intended to include that clarification, but forgot, but it's not the end of the world, as it's in the FAQ. I am not a lawyer, but I do occasionally play one on the internet. cool.gif

As for Jenica Capra, I think that has to be a mistake, as otherwise you could cycle through your entire deck, pick out all the attachments, and know exactly what order your cards will be in. I have to think that that will be errata'd to "(Limit once per turn.)" in very short order.

ssjevot said:

Also does anyone else find it weird how many Elder Things we have, but they aren't their own subtype?

Not as weird as the fact that there are two Silver Twilight characters who aren't Silver Twilight, or that the Serpent from Yoth isn't a Serpent!

Fence is interesting. All those relic's getting snagged instead of being shuffled back into the deck… kind of awesome. Just need to find a way to keep it from getting iced or stolen the turn it comes out…

Agreed, Fence is a very cool card and I'm glad Syndicate got something like that. Lookout is pretty good too.

OES Ring - it would be much better to state the duration explicitly on the card. Still, another interesting card though.

Jenica seems like an obvious mistake, otherwise you can effectively draw all your support cards and stack your entire deck. Every turn. Needs to be once per turn limited.

Serpents got some high quality loving this pack with two great cards.

Maureen is a really cool idea! I can see her copying all sorts of thing and being so cheap is awesome, even if her ability is expensive.

Notice that the Library of Ebla allows you to give a Tome to an enemy character (only the original holder must be friendly). Gotta look for poison books now.

I don't know why, but I really love Feral Elder Thing, he just seems like crazy fun to me. I think he'd go well with Prism of Many Views.

dboeren said:

I don't know why, but I really love Feral Elder Thing, he just seems like crazy fun to me. I think he'd go well with Prism of Many Views.

It is almost an auto include in my mono Yog mill deck.

I want my own cards in my discard pile in order to more easily play them through recursion, I want all of my opponent's cards in their discard pile for the alternate win condition. Win Win. Easily takes the place of Pawn Broker in my deck.

Hellfury said:

dboeren said:

I want my own cards in my discard pile in order to more easily play them through recursion, I want all of my opponent's cards in their discard pile for the alternate win condition. Win Win. Easily takes the place of Pawn Broker in my deck.

But you are discarding his hand not his deck! You do let him draw one more card which means faster burning his deck but I think thats not really the way you want your discard deck to work, letting your opponent draw more cards.

However, it does work nice with the hastur support card "Carcosa".

Runix said:

dboeren said:

I don't think so, at least not at the tournament level. I suspect that most tournament decks by now have a lot of direct character removal and a lot of support removal, so either way they should be able to deal with it. I suppose I can see Khopesh-wielding Guardian Shoggoths with an attached Spore wreaking havoc in casual play, though.

I was planning on using the Spore to defend against Khopesh, but you're right that it will just make Khopesh decks even better. I feel they should just unrestrict Khopesh and errata it so that you have to exhaust Khopesh to use its ability. Still a great card, no longer broken. I'll probably still use the Spore in my Mi-Go deck to try to protect my important Mi-Go, but I won't be surprised if I see it show up in Khopesh decks.

Hellfury said:

dboeren said:

Well, it turns out it is not as good as I had originally thought it would work.

Feral Elder Thing
Card Type: Character
Cost: 3
Skill: 3
2 Terror Icons, 1 Combat Icon
Subtype: Monster, Independent
At the beginning of your turn, each player chooses and discards 2 cards from his hand, if able. Then, each player draws 1 card.

Each player must have at least 2 cards in their hand in order for the effect to work.

So if either player has less than 2 cards in their hand, then neither player chooses 2 cards, discards them then draws 1.

This one kind of boggled me, but when I was playing Steve Horvath tonight Event Center, Damon hung out for awhile and explained it as such.

Still a great card, but not quite as great as I had originally understood it since your opponent can foil it by having less than 2 cards in hand..

Darkman said:

Hellfury said:

But you are discarding his hand not his deck! You do let him draw one more card which means faster burning his deck but I think thats not really the way you want your discard deck to work, letting your opponent draw more cards.

Worked fine for me playing against a Yog mill deck tonight.

The reason why I want card in my discard pile is that the discard pile becomes an extension of my "hand". With cards like the newest Yog Sothoth, and other recursion cards, having cards in my discard pile is a goal.

So yes, it is in fact the way I want my discard deck to work.