Character Sheet Design

By Rhoaran, in Proofreading Changes

I'm not sure if there would be a better place to post this but I have a few comments regarding the character sheets.

1) Why have the characteristic blocks twice. It seems completely unnecessary.

2) To allow for easier copying / printing as well as visual clarity, use a predominantly white background. Borders are fine and even appreciated, but the grey wash uses a lot of toner and makes pencil difficult to see.

3) I might suggest the creation of another sheet to record the rules and information for player-made regiments. It would have lines for the major regimental options (homeworld, commander, type, training, special equipment, kit changes). Also, include areas to record backstory / fluff; perhaps a couple lines follow the options mentioned above where the party or GM can elaborate on that specific feature.

In all I wanted to say that Only War crystalizes the concept that drew me into playing Imperial Guard on the tabletop. It provides the first person perspective on the 40k universe that people can empathize with. It wouldn't be the same if it was a space marine's perspective because of the insulation provided by the armor / superhuman qualities. Great work. I look forward to playing and I wish I could move to Minnesota to work with you all.

Rhoaran said:

I'm not sure if there would be a better place to post this but I have a few comments regarding the character sheets.

1) Why have the characteristic blocks twice. It seems completely unnecessary.

2) To allow for easier copying / printing as well as visual clarity, use a predominantly white background. Borders are fine and even appreciated, but the grey wash uses a lot of toner and makes pencil difficult to see.

3) I might suggest the creation of another sheet to record the rules and information for player-made regiments. It would have lines for the major regimental options (homeworld, commander, type, training, special equipment, kit changes). Also, include areas to record backstory / fluff; perhaps a couple lines follow the options mentioned above where the party or GM can elaborate on that specific feature.

In all I wanted to say that Only War crystalizes the concept that drew me into playing Imperial Guard on the tabletop. It provides the first person perspective on the 40k universe that people can empathize with. It wouldn't be the same if it was a space marine's perspective because of the insulation provided by the armor / superhuman qualities. Great work. I look forward to playing and I wish I could move to Minnesota to work with you all.

1)

The characteristic block is there twice so you don't have to switch between sides (if you print double sided) or to the other sheet so you can look at what you need.

Since this is a d100 roll below system every test works with the characteristics and it's therefor supremely important.

2)

Yes. A printer friendly character sheet is needed.

3)
I fully agree. Some more sheet for specialized tasks would be nice. Also one without the Psychic Powers block and one that is made for Psykers specifically with more space for Powers.

Agreed on every point, also the Equipment section need some extra space.

A place to list aptitudes would be handy as well.

I noticed something, only a small thing, but it is, non-the-less, a thing:

There's nowhere on the sheet to track the squad's logistics rating as it increases.

Also agree with printer friendly sheets (but want to keep the flavor as much as possible), and the additional sheet for extra stuff. For Deathwatch i always use the back of the squad mode/solo mode sheet as a "sheet of many things" and i think Only War could benefit from this aswell.