New GM, New Group

By Superchunk, in WFRP Gamemasters

Hello all,

I've been on these boards for a while now and am looking for some suggestions on a good scenario for my new Warhammer group. We won't be starting until my 4E game wraps up, which should be in about 1 month or so.

My players have selected the following characters so far:

Ogre Maneater

Human Thug

Human Dilettante (possibly Boatman or Navigator, he hasn't picked yet)

They have not worked out any background info yet but I am anticipating a decent background from each character answering the 10 questions in the Player's Guide as a minimum.

That all being said, what would you say is a good scenario to start the group on? I have no qualms about taking older edition adventures and converting them, but for the first adventure I'd want something that shows the group that this ain't D&D.

I was floating some ideas around running the Eye for an Eye default adventure, or possibly Witch's Song from WFRP3. But I'm also liking the Paths of the Damned adventures from WFRP2 but placed in the timeline prior to the Storm of Chaos. Terror in Talabheim also looks excellent but I'm thinking it may be too much for Rank 1 characters.

Any other suggestions?

I think with that combat-heavy of a group, I'd start them with Day Late, Shilling Short.

With any group, LOTS of skill checks help diversify their understanding of the game. Don't screw them over with non-strength based checks, but make it a point to have them do lots of social things.

What separates this game from D&D is not the combat..it's the tone that scenarios are investigative and any combat should be avoided. In a lopsided-towards-combat-strength group, you've got more of a challenge than in a more diversified group.

Anyways, after DLSS scenario, I'd go right to The Gathering Storm. It is again combat heavy, but gives the GM a chance to throw in some extra skill checks.

Best of luck,

jh

Gathering Storm does give good value for money and requires less GM work to handle and improve than Edge of Night.

It can be made more investigative if you take the option suggested of using an alternate less obvious villain and draw out the murder mystery part more etc.

I think it can be fairly simple to do this by adding a couple extra prominent NPC's. Rather than just one wizard in town, how about a couple? I really played up the effect of suspicious townsfolk who are not free from sin themselves.

With an Ogre, a Thug and a dilletante (or boatman or dockhand), there is potential to beef up the encounters more as well. My group walked all over the combat encounters (and I don't even let PCs start with a 5 characteristic)..of course this was before the correction on Rapid shot and Dual weapon cards, and I think that had a significant effect. Our group had more trouble trying to cross the river into Stromdorf and with the Reik Eels than they did with the B.M's or later stuff.

..so, in essence, add a couple more NPC's that interact with the PCs in suspicious ways.

..and really play up the marshwater drink (the one with the eel in the bottom..the one that the locals make the out of towners drink and then laugh about).

jh