What sort of art direction will this game take?

By JerusalemJones, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

So far, all the artwork that we've seen has been similar to that in Android, that is comic book style (for lack of a better name, I'm not an art student). I wonder if all the artwork for this game is going to continue in this style, or if we might see some of the more realistic artwork that games like A Game Of Thrones has been using over the last few years. Would we even want to see a mix of styles from what FFG has previously presented in both Android and Infiltration. I have seen some cyberpunk/space related artwork that Tiziano has done for other games, and I'd like to see him do artwork for Netrunner as well…but at the same time the art direction can be a big part of the game. I wonder if anyone else has any opinions on the art for this game?

I'd have preferred realistic, but now that the decision is made I think FFG would be well advised to stick with consistency.

The artwork reminds me of that of Gonzalo "GENZOMAN" Arias. He's done work for Legend of the Five Rings , UFS , and other games. He has a very lively, manga-influenced art style that I appreciate.

My vote would be for them to choose a style and stick to it. I would have liked to see something a bit more realistic. I love the artwork for LOTR. It's too bad that I have no interest in playing that game. WH:I has varying styles of artwork. Some is very good and then there are others that just make you laugh and wonder 'what the hell were they thinking'. I think a consistent style is the way to go.

Doc9 said:

My vote would be for them to choose a style and stick to it. I would have liked to see something a bit more realistic. I love the artwork for LOTR. It's too bad that I have no interest in playing that game. WH:I has varying styles of artwork. Some is very good and then there are others that just make you laugh and wonder 'what the hell were they thinking'. I think a consistent style is the way to go.

Much of the artwork of W:I is recycled Games Workshop artwork, at least with the earlier sets. I remember talking with Nate French when this game was first coming out and he told me as much. That is the primary reason there is so much variety in styles. LotR has quite a bit of variety as well, but there is still an overriding them that makes it work.

JerusalemJones said:

I have seen some cyberpunk/space related artwork that Tiziano has done for other games, and I'd like to see him do artwork for Netrunner as well…

He is pretty brilliant. I hope to see some departure from the usual art direction seen in FFG games. The old "Lots of fire in the background" blurry, cheap, cop out. The Nexus Ops cover for example.

What they have previewed so far looks great though.