Night of the living . . . elves?

By Budgernaut, in Rune Age

Tonight was the Latari Elves' night and I'll detail how it went below.

Early after getting the game, I figured out how to beat the Resurgence of the Dragon Lords scenario with Waiqar the Undying, and not too long after, did it with the Daqan Lords as well. Last night I decided to do it with the Uthuk Y'llan since everyone says they're so easy. They were. I guess I had missed the part about drawing a card with the Flesh Ripper. I was just wounding the Berserker without the card draw. Anyway, I had tried from time to time to win with the Latari Elves but to no avail. Tonight I decided to try again since they were my last faction to beat it.

Thanks to a tip from BoardGameGeek, I realized how useful the Storm Sorceress can be. It's great attack boost for getting cities and strongholds in the early game, and then you destroy them when you don't need them by using their special ability which allows you to buy more neutral cards or gold than you would normally while also thinning your deck. The first game I tried to get the Pegasus Rider so I could add some card draw, but my deck got too unwieldy as I added too many neutral cards and gold. I lost. In the second game I focused on getting the Demons and keeping my deck slim. I didn't buy just because I could. So I finally pulled off a win.

Next, I moved on to the Runewars scenario. I play this one solo often by just controlling all four factions. It's kind of dodgy because there's really no way to not be biased in the order I play cards when I'm looking at both hands, but I try to mitigate that by not looking at the hands of factions when they draw up to 5 cards at the end of the next turn. That makes it so I can't calculate if I'll win before attacking.

In this game, I dealt play order with Daqan Lords, then Latari Elves, then Uthuk Y'llan, and finally Waiqar the Undying. During the first round, each faction got one stronghold except Waiqar the Undying, who grabbed all 3. Soon he had 7 influence and 2 dragons. At that point, the other players started to consider him a real threat. The Uthuk Y'llan tried to attack him but encountered tough resistance. Then Waiqar bought a third dragon and had to reshuffle his discard pile to draw up to 5 cards. At this point, the Daqan Lords realized that attacking Waiqar before his discard pile filled with Reanimates might be the only way to take him down. Each of the players before Waiqar attacked him and the Uthuk Y'llan finished off the Betrayer.

With Waiqar gone, the new threat was the Uthuk Y'llan, who had some of each unit. But by this point in the game, everyone was running low on gold, having destroyed gold cards for various reasons. The least damaged faction was the Latari Elves because Waiqar never saw them as a threat and didn't attack them. They only had 4 damage while the other two had about 9. The Daqan Lords decided to take on the Uthuk Y'llan, but didn't realize he had no nights left, just Bowmen and Footmen. The Uthuk player kept holding him off. Meanwhile, The Latari Elves were also trying to take down the Uthuk Y'llan, using Manticores and Darnati Warriors to kill the stronger Uthuk foes. Suddenly, the Daqan Lords became a real threat, their deck becoming so slim that they drawing 8 Footmen and 2 Bowmen on nearly every turn. Meanwhile, the other faction's neutral and 5-cost cards were all destroyed and they had but 2 gold remaining. At this point, the Latari Elves stopped fighting and started focusing on acquiring resources because the Uthuk Y'llan and Daqan Lords were so close to defeat that they were madly attacking each other and both too afraid to loose units to the Darnati Warriors.

Unfortunately, the Daqan Lords dealt their death blow to the Uthuk Y'llan which meant the Latari Elves were next and all they had been able to do was capture some cities, purchase another Manticore, and acquire a 3-gold card. It was certain doom for the Latari Elves. But the next encounter card was Wrath of the Wizard's Council, allowing the player with the most influence to deal 3 damage to a home realm of his choice. Because the Latari Elves had focused on gathering more influence in the last round, they had an edge over the Daqan Lords and delivered the crushing blow to the race of men, bringing peace to Terrinoth.

My favorite part was that the Latari Elves are always referred to as masters of influence and in this case their influence is what decided the war. It was very thematic.

That was a good story. Thanks for sharing.

I have similar opinion about elves, They must build up to works nicely, but many times other players and races attacks more agressive demons, undead and humans, what gives elves enough time to prepare for war and win.