Overheating plasma and ammunition stocks in vehicles

By Avrelivs, in Game Mechanics

It seems the Overheat rule still applies to vehicles- if this is intentional, then which side does the Overheating weapon 'hit''? I'm presuming the rear (since the insides of a tank aren't heavily armoured), but I'm waiting for an official reply, especially since I hope it's a typo- after all, tanks and vehicles don't overheat on the tabletop.

And second, how many spare 'clips' does a tank have? Because the Demolisher's set to run out after only 2 shots, while the the regular Russ can go on for 12. Now I know my TT Demolisher's shot a lot more than twice in a game (thing must have more kills than the rest of my army), so I was wondering if vehicles had spare ammo stocks- if not, I suggest that stocks of standard shells be given to Armoured Regiments.

EDIT: Not exactly on-topic, but does anyone have any suggestions to make a LR Executioner? I'm thinking of simply switching the regular Plasma Cannon to have a -/3/- ROF, but if you guys have any better ideas, I'm open.

IIRC a Battle Cannon equipped Leman Russ carries 40 shells for its weapon, A Leman Russ Vanquisher carries 28 shells, and A Leman Russ Demolisher carries 25 shells for it's cannon.

Leman Russ of all types typically carry 600 rounds per heavy bolter.

The Plasma Destroyer of a Leman Russ Executioner is a good deal stronger than a standard Heavy Plasma Cannon (Heavy 3 vs Heavy 1 in tabletop).

I'd say increase base damage by 1d10, increase base penetration to 14 or 16, Blast quality to a base of 3, and I'd have it double the positive effects of Maximal. That should make it into a good tank hunter without overshadowing anything else, and still keep the effectiveness of the Maximal setting for the great alpha strike potential.

GalagaGalaxian said:

IIRC a Battle Cannon equipped Leman Russ carries 40 shells for its weapon, A Leman Russ Vanquisher carries 28 shells, and A Leman Russ Demolisher carries 25 shells for it's cannon.

Leman Russ of all types typically carry 600 rounds per heavy bolter.

Gotcha- is there any official source for this? I don't have the Imperial Armour books outside the first 2, and if it's one of them I don't remember seeing them (mind you. it's been a long while since I opened them up).

MorioMortis said:

I'd say increase base damage by 1d10, increase base penetration to 14 or 16, Blast quality to a base of 3, and I'd have it double the positive effects of Maximal. That should make it into a good tank hunter without overshadowing anything else, and still keep the effectiveness of the Maximal setting for the great alpha strike potential.

Wouldn't that make it too good a tank hunter, though? I'd agree on the extra damage and blast radius, but double maximal and AP 14 is a bit much for an S7 AP2 weapon, wouldn't you say?

It's in IA Vol:1 Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy in the Leman Russ Battle Tank entry. 40 rounds main weapon, unlimited (for lascannon) or 600 rounds (for heavy bolter) secondary.

Plasma weapon cooling on vehicles is far better constructed, there being more space. So overheating of non-super heavy (or even inclusive of) shouldn't be an issue on vehicles.

The Demolisher having 2 round magazine and the Battle Cannon having 12 rounds, has already been brought up in the armoury proof reading section (IIRC) because, frankly, that's absolute nonsense.

Avrelivs said:

Wouldn't that make it too good a tank hunter, though? I'd agree on the extra damage and blast radius, but double maximal and AP 14 is a bit much for an S7 AP2 weapon, wouldn't you say?

It might be a bit much, but we aren't trying to reflect the tabletop as much as make it an effective tank killing weapon; it needs to do comparable damage to the other Leman Russ guns and still be keep the Maximal ability relevant. Still, the AP might be better at around 10-12, but you want it capable of hurting a Leman Russ' front armor, and probably also a Demolisher's, so you need a minimum of potentially 50 points of damage.

And, as far as I remember, plasma weapons on vehicles do not normally overheat, but they do need to recharge/cooling period after a maximal power shot, even up to the titan scale weapons.

MorioMortis said:

Avrelivs said:

Still, the AP might be better at around 10-12, but you want it capable of hurting a Leman Russ' front armor, and probably also a Demolisher's, so you need a minimum of potentially 50 points of damage.

I don't know; I'd like to stay faithful to the tabletop- I'm pretty okay with the main cannon being unable to penetrate a Russ's frontal armour.