Carrying Gear, how?

By Frankie, in Game Mechanics

I dont't see backpacks listed.

In the Universal Kit, there's a Rucksack or Sling Bag, but no description of what it is?

a catch all name for a bag, I'm sure defrent regements from defrent worlds and all that have there own kind of "bags" lol.

Point is, there's no description in this book for what a rucksack is mechanically.

There's also no weapon/gear storage (as in, the item itself from other books), which would kinda be vital so you can take a clip from your helmet or waist pouch over going into your backpack.

Frankie said:

Point is, there's no description in this book for what a rucksack is mechanically.

There's also no weapon/gear storage (as in, the item itself from other books), which would kinda be vital so you can take a clip from your helmet or waist pouch over going into your backpack.

I think you mean there is no combat webbing or backpack items like in the other lines. If it is so, than I agree that their inclusion could be useful, although it always stuck me as self-evident; you don't really need an item to tell you that you can carry stuff or have ammo pouches, it's pretty much assumed. Even the mechanics of the items are mostly superfluous, as unless you are carrying rocks (or maybe explosives), logic dictates that you'll probably run out of space before getting to something like 50 kg in a backpack (the standard BC one), much less 70 in a best quality one (the combat webbing is even more ridiculous, as the standard one would let you carry something like 45 M16 mags, or 20 AK47 ones).

I think just listing a few types of rucksacks etc --one might list a backpack, others might list a webbing similar to w/g storage, while yet another might simply have it be a bag carried over the shoulder that's tied to the person somehow-- would be grand. Giving people ideas for variation is always good.

My ideas?

Slings for Basic weapons.

Backpacks of various types, plus a handbag.

Waist/vest pouches.

Holsters.

Strings you tie around say, a helmet.

But that's maybe too indepth.

Backpack and weapon/gear storage is all thats really needed, and the perfect abstractions. Things you can't possibly take out and Ready as a half action vs things you're just storing.

But do you need written rules for those, or is it simply assumed that even a Catachan jungle fighter running through the jungle with only his pants on is going to have some way to store a decent amount ammo (aka, more than you'd think you'd ever need) and his knife (and maybe some food) for when he's not actively being eaten by the planet?

As for the cosmetics of the items, I can see the use of giving some ideas to the players, but I find one of. the fun aspects of making characters is coming up with those small details, like the fact your guy always carries an extra mag under his helmet, or that he puts his grenades on his back because he fears they'll get shot and explode on him. There is no inherent mechanical advantage to those under most situations, so there is no real need for them to be stated out options.

"Weapon/Gear Storage" could represent that mag under your helmet, or the chocolate bar in your pouch. It's abstract enough you know it's placed somewhere within easy reach, so it can vary by regiment or individual.

Backpack/Rucksack would meanwhile be anything you can't readily take out.

I don't know, having it not being defined at all just gives it a feel of being like everything is stored in hammer space, or Readied whenever it's convenient.

I don't think the game describes the guardsmen's underpants, but presumably they're still wearing some. Either the items have stats (for example combat webbing giving a rough description of just how much stuff fits into attached pouches and the rucksack detailing how much additional time is spent taking stuff out of it) or they're rather useless and should just be added to a clothing entry.

Difference is, a guardsman wearing an underwear, shirts or pants ultimately doesn't matter. :P

The amount of gear you can feasibly carry and how fast you can take it out is another matter, though.

And thats what the lift and carry table at the Playing the Game section of the book is for.

Beyond that, use common sense with the amount of weapons you can carry. And standard kit is a believable amount of ammo.

The game isn't so simulationist that you should inform your GM "Alright, I use a half action to grab the charge pack I have stowed in the 3rd pouch on my right hip…"

I agree, I never said it should be anything like that.

"Weapon/Gear Storage" is something that existed in other books, and it worked out fine. Same with Ruck/Backpack.

Well, it was usually just items that enabled you to carry x amount of weight (often entirely arbitrary amounts of weight that don't take into account the person actually doing the carrying).

Yeah, I think it's fine.

I think another issue is the Carry/Lift/Pull charts.

SB+TB of 2 each means you likely won't be able to carry your starting equipment. SB+TB+2 is the quick fix I'm using, rather than making my own chart.

Well, the average is actually 3 each, but the point still stands that it could be a few points higher without being too ridiculous.