More close combat questions…..

By player1367098, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

I've been searching for this question, but haven't found and answer. When a unit is attacked with close combat and rolls for their close combat, does that count as their activation and are done for that round?

No, they haven't activated so they still get to go. Units that have activated and are attacked still get to fight back.

Let me ask another question with the same theme… I couldn't find a thread with it, but probably it has already been asked.

When a unit attacks another with sustained attack and close range weapons, both close range attacks (from both units involved) are simultaneous and happens after casualties from other weapons occur. What I can't find is if the attacking unit is using sustained attack, thus being able to reroll fails once, the defending unit is also considered using sustained?

Thanks in advance!

No, the attacking unit uses its sustained attack to reroll its Close Combat attack, but the defending unit just rolls normally.

Loophole Master said:

No, the attacking unit uses its sustained attack to reroll its Close Combat attack, but the defending unit just rolls normally.

Thanks LM! That helps a lot. Where did you find that precious piece of information?

Probably in the rulebook. But either way, it's just logic. If you make a Sustained Attack, you're not granting your opponent the power of "Sustained Retaliation".

Loophole Master said:

Probably in the rulebook. But either way, it's just logic. If you make a Sustained Attack, you're not granting your opponent the power of "Sustained Retaliation".

There is a logic in it, yes, but it could easily be different by game design if the creators wanted the close combat to be equally damaging. And it isn`t in the rulebook, at least I didn`t find it, neither in the first Core nor in the Revised. Or in the FAQ.

Anyway, thank you for the elucidation.

I suppose it isn't mentioned in the rule book because the rules state that a sustained attack uses both of a unit's actions, and only the activated unit can use two actions. In fact, the unit retaliating in Close Combat doesn't even use or get an action, it just retaliates.

So does an enemy who has a cc attack like knife, knife/grenade, get to retaliate every time Rhino attacks with his( 2) fist attacks? It seems like they could, but I want to be sure. Thanks

I always thought that Rhino would use both of his close combat weapons in ONE close combat attack, so the target would only get to retaliate once. The situation would be different if Rhino attacked two different targets with his two weapons, in this case, both targets would be allowed to retaliate. I hope I got that rule right.

Yep, you're all right.