Test Regiments (Post your own and comment)

By Santiago, in Only War Beta

The 404th Mechanised Firefoxes - "More than meets the eye!"

Homeworld: Chrome (Fortress World, 3 points)

Commanding Officer: Captain Steve Gates (Fixed, 1 point)

Doctrine: Mechanised Infantry (3 points)

Training Doctrine: Iron Discipline (3 points)

Special Equipment: Augmetics (2 points)

Favoured Heavy Weapon: Missile Launcher
Favoured Special Weapon: Meltagun

Additional Equipment:
Best Quality Guard Flak Armour (10 points)
Auspex (10 points)
Micro beads (8 points)
Munitorium Manual (3 points)

NOTES: Our GM accepted a bribe in the creation of this regiment. If you note, we have spent one extra point of supply than is allowed. Given that the Munitorium Manual is of debatable value, it was determined to not be "too" unbalancing. Also, the Homeworld received a modification, where Common Lore (War) was turned into Common Lore (Tech), to represent that Chrome is partly given to the Ad Mech, and is responsible for a great deal of production as well as tithing to the Imperial Guard.

This regiment is more or less a joke, and is filled with various computer/technology references. The iconic "404, file not found" error is the designation. Firefox and Chrome are references to the browsers. Steve Gates is a combination of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Heck, my Commissar I'm playing is named Dijkstra in respect to one of the greater minds of computer science. The slogan was jokingly thrown across the table ("Man machine, power extreme" was thrown around as well, but apparently nobody watched Centurions when they were a kid).

Let me try this…

31st Harakoni Warhawks „Helldivers“

Hive World (3), Choleric Commander (2), Drop Troops (3), Close Order Drill (2), Augmentics(2)

The Harakoni Warhawks are an Imperial Guard Drop troop regiment from the planet Harakon. With their complete lack of fear towards heights and almost unhealthy addiction to adrenalin, the 31st "Helldivers" are widely renowned as almost unmatched drop troops, deploying fast while delivering astoundingly powerful damage within seconds of impact. Harkon has a vey low gravity threshold, enabling the planetary hives to be built much higher than those of other worlds. The generations-old adaptation to adverse gravity levels leaves the Harakoni Warhawks‎ predisposed to excel at grav-chute drops from orbit. This style of combat also increases the Warhawks use of Stormtroopers and smaller unit tactics than standard line troopers.

Characteristic Modifiers: +3 Agility, +3 Perception

Starting Skills: Common Lore (Imperium), Deceive, Operate (Aeronautica)

Starting Talents: Catfall, Combat Formation or Double Team, Rapid Reaction, Heighted Senses (Hearing) or Paranoia or Unremarkable

Starting Wounds: Hive world characters reduce their starting Wounds by 1

Accustomed to Crowds: No Agility penalty for Running or Charging through crowds.

Hivebound: -10 penalty to Survival Tests when outside of urban area.

Augmentics: +10 on Logistic Tests to obtain cybernetics.

Standard Kit: Bullpup Lasgun (Main Weapon), 4 Charge Packs, Combat Knife, 2 Frag Grenades, 2 Smoke Grenades, Light Carpace Armour, Respirator, Grav-Chute, Black Uniform, Rucksack, Poor Weather Gear, Basic Tool Set,Mess Kit, Water Canteen, Blanket, Sleeping Bag, Rechargable Lamp Pack, Grooming Kit, Dog Tags, Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, Combat Sustenance Rations (2 weeks)

Favoured Weapons: Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter

Note: I was quite confined in creation by 12 pts limit otherwise I would use Die-Hards and Well-Provisioned which would be more according to lore of particular regiment instead of Close Order Drill and Augmentics. I think Hive World point cost of 3 is a bit too high considering Hive Worlder advantages which aren't something special.

Mortessan Scytewind Regiment

“I know not what they will do to the enemy but by the God-Emperor they terrify me!” – Lord Luther Kronus on the Mortessan Scythewind Regiment

Death World (3), Maverick Commander (2), Light Infantry(2), Hardened Fighters(2), Scavengers(3)

Troopers of Mortessan Scythewind Regiment excell in melee combat. Their culture is one of hunters where youngster has to slay some dangerous predator with his hunting axe as a rite of initiation into manhood. They are widely known around Calixis sector as the most ill-disciplined Imperial Guard Regiment but their fearlesness and martial prowes keep them in high regard among local Imperial commanders. Their primary specialities are scouting, infiltration and guerilla warfare in which they can compete toe to toe with the best regiments such as Catachan Jungle Fighters and Tanith First and Only. Besides their irregular approach to soldiering they are notorious about their treatment of POW's and civilians alike where they eagerly indulge into plunder, ****, torture, mass executions and all other kind of attrocities. Some Imperial commanders find this characteristics very useful as tool of counter-insurgency and control on recently conquered areas. Because of planet small population regiment cannot be reraised but is rather continously replenished by fresh conscripts while they keep as many of active veterans as possible. Among their ranks Regiment maintainsa full company of hardened veterans. This expirienced soldiers are considered to be elite and they serve in role of combat instructors or special forces capable of performing daring raids and surgical strikes deep behind enemy lines.

Characteristic Modifiers: +2 Weapon Skill, Strength +3, Agility +3

Starting Skills: Navigate (Surface), Survival

Starting Talents: Lightning Reflexses or Light Sleeper or Resistance (Poisons), Resistance (Fear), Sprint, Street Fighting

Wary of Outsiders: Mortessan Tribesman tend to be slow to put their faith in anyone other then themselves and their comrades and they chafe at the expectations and structures of the more civilised society. They suffer -10 penalty on all Interaction Skill Tests made in formal surroundings and similarly impose a -10 penalty on any Interaction Skill Tests made by non-Mortessans. This penalties can be waived at GM's discretion, if the Mortessans are dealing with those who have earned their trust.

Scavengers: The regiment may choose to gain +10 bonus on any Logistics Test. However, on any test where this bonus is used, if any doubles are rolled (22, 33, 44, etc) weather the test was a success or a failure, then the scavenging and stealing have drawn unwanted attention from higher authorities within the Imperial Guard or the Departmento Munitorum.

Wounds: Characters from this regiment start with +2 starting Wounds

Standard Kit: Lasgun (Main Weapon), 4 Charge Packs, Best Craftsmanship Axe, Combat Knife, 2 Frag Grenades, 2 Smoke Grenades, Flak Jacket, Flak Helmet, Black Uniform, Field Sack, Hostile Weather Gear, Basic Tool Set, Mess Kit, Water Canteen, Blanket, Sleeping Bag, Rechargable Lamp Pack, Grooming Kit, Dog Tags, Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, Combat Sustenance Rations (2 weeks)

Favoured Weapons: Flamer, Heavy Bolter

Note: This are the guys from Dark Heresy Inquisitor's Handbook page 62.

Dulahan said:

Copied from a writeup I did elsewhere, and not written up the same way due to thinking it deserves feedback and critiquing…

But since it's going to be done. And proof. A possible way to do Gaunt's Ghosts - the Tanith First and Only

Stuff

This is what I went with for the Tanith First and Only:

Tanith First and Only

Homeworld - Imperial World:
+3 Willpower, +3 Perception
Common Lore (Imperial Creed), Common Lore (Imperium), Linguistics (High Gothic)
Blessed Ignorance, Kill the Mutant

Commanding Officer - Maverick
Resistance (Fear)

Regiment Type - Light Infantry
+3 Agility, -3 Toughness
Navigate (Surface)
Sprint

Training - Sharpshooters
Ballistic Skill Aptitude
Deadeye Shot

Special Equipment - Chameleoline

Favoured Weapons - Longlas, Missile Launcher

Additional Standard Equipment:
Replace Lascarbine with M36 Lasgun (5)
Add one Favoured Basic Weapon to squad (10)
Improve Knife from Common to Best Craftsmanship (10)
Grapnel (5)

Standard Kit:
Universal Kit
Best Craftsmanship Knife
One M36 Lasgun + Four charge packs
Flak Jacket + Flak Helmet
2 Frag Grenades
2 Smoke Grenades
Grapnel
Chameleoline Cloaks

I thought that, whilst they did have some good shots in the Regiment, they weren't all good shots, but they were all fairly perceptive, hence the +3 Perception. I decided to go for Longlas as their Favoured Basic Weapon, because it is their iconic weapon, and then went with Missile Launcher for the Favoured Heavy Weapon, as they use a lot of 'tread fethers' in the Regiment. The rest of the picks were pretty self-explanatory.

I then gave them their lasguns, gave them a Longlas per squad (since they do seem to have a sniper per squad/unit), and boosted their knife so it would be the iconic Tanith straight-silver.

I think it fits them pretty well, to be honest!

The unit we're using for the playtest - a bit of a Rogue Trader Era classic:

The Big One

bigone.jpg

The Imperial Guard comprises the finest soldiers from the million worlds of the Imperium, and it contains countless regiments of distinction, with ancient and glorious histories.Call them the devils, the ghosts, the kasrkin, or any of countless other names, the Guard is filled with elite units, masters of their particular style of warfare, trusted by Inquisitors and Warmasters alike to succeed in the most critical of missions.

The 'Big One' is most definitely not one of those regiments.

First Penal Legion, Imperial Army, to give it its proper title, certainly has an ancient history – pre-dating even the Astartes Legions – but as a unit that's been a dumping ground for the scum of the Imperium for over ten millennia, it's anything but glorious…

Homeworld - Penal Colony

Commanding Officer - Maverick

Drop Troops

Scavengers

Close Order Drill

Stats: Ag +6, T+3, Fel-3, W+1

Skills: Operate (Aeronautica)

Talents: Catfall, Street Fighting, Resistance (Fear), Double Team

Traits: Larcenous, Scum and Villainy, Scavengers

Standard Issue Equipment: Lascarbine, 4 charge packs, guard flak armour, respirator, grav-chute, 2 frag, 2 smoke, 4 weeks rations, grapnel, micro-bead

Preferred Heavy Weapon: Heavy Flamer

Preferred Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

Grubisha said:

31st Harakoni Warhawks „Helldivers“

Hive World (3), Choleric Commander (2), Drop Troops (3), Close Order Drill (2), Augmentics(2)

Wow wow,

You cant make something as awesome as that and not include the aptitudes. (shock, there are none)

Also, i dont think they would use the bullpup las. They arnt depicted using it. They use a carbine of some kind.

The 'hive bound' seems very out of place for guys who hunt "vaperwyrms" using gravchutes below their hive. If i could, id change it to survival.

Ok, the only thing i can change is that maybe they dont need Choloric AND Close order drill. Rapid reaction is similar to Combat formation. Although double team is more awesome.

Alternativly:
Hive World (3), Fixed Commander (1), Drop Troops (3), Close Order Drill (doubleteam) (2), Demolitions (3)

Or

Hive World (3), Choleric Commander (2), Drop Troops (3), Fieldcraft (4)
Atleast you get an aptitude out of it and it negates hivebound. And that aptitude helps with rapid reaction.

As for gear:

Add an additional item of Rare availability to standard kit (Light Carapace, Rare) 15

Add a chrono to standard kit 2

Replace Lascarbine (Main Weapon) with M36 Lasgun (Main Weapon) 5

Add an additional item of Average availability to standard kit (Compact xl/2 Average) 8

M36'short' Basic 50m S/3/- 1d10+2 0 30 Full Reliable 2kg Common

This way you get one extra shot. A bit expensive but interesting.

Alternativly:
Add a grapnel to standard kit 5 or Add a cliP,/ droP, harness to standard kit 5

A couple of attempts I created in another thread, reposted here for evaluation

41st Steel Legion

Homeworld: Armageddon (Hive World)

Modifiers: +3 Agility, +3 Fellowship

Skills: Common Lore (Imperium), Deceive, Operate (Surface)

Talents: Foresight, Rapid Reload, one of the following (Heightened Senses [hearing], Paranoia, Unremarkable)

Wounds: -1

Other Traits: Accustomed to Crowds, Hivebound

Favored Weapons: Missile Launcher, Meltagun

Kit: M36 Lasgun (main weapon) with melee attachment, 6 charge packs, Autopistol (sidearm), 2 clips, Knife, 3 Frag Grenades, 3 Krak Grenades, Guard Flak Armor, Respirator, Survival Suit, Micro-Bead, Uniform, Rucksack or Sling Bag, Basic Tool Set, Mess Kit, Sleep Bag, Lamp Pack, Grooming Kit, Cognomen Tags, Primer, 4 weeks rations, Chimera IFV (per squad)

Cost Spread: Hive World (3), Circumspect commander (2), Mechanized Infantry (3), Well Provisioned (3), 1 unspent regiment point

Notes: a highly generic Steel Legion unit, the only remarkable point is Well Provisioned. I choose it to simulate the industrial power of Armageddon.

37th Valhallan Polar Guard

Homeworld: Valhalla (civilized world)

Modifiers: +2 Weapon Skill, +3 Agility, +3 Willpower

Aptitudes: Agility

Skills: Common Lore (Imperial Creed), Common Lore (Imperium), Linguistics (High Gothic), Navigate (surface)

Talents: Hatred (Orks), Rapid Reaction, Streetfighting

Wounds: +0

Other Traits: Blessed Ignorance, Fieldcraft (mountains)

Favored Weapons: Heavy Flamer, Grenade Launcher

Kit: Lascarabine (main weapon), 4 charge packs, Laspistol (sidearm), 2 charge packs, Knife (mono upgrade), 2 frag grenades, 2 smoke grenades, Flak Jacket & Helmet, Survival Suit, Micro-Bead, Poor quality Preysense Googles, Grapnel, Uniform, Rucksack or Sling Bag, Basic Tool Set, Mess Kit, Sleep Bag, Lamp Pack, Grooming Kit, Cognomen Tags, Primer, 2 weeks rations

Cost Spread: Imperial World (1), Choleric Commander (2), Light Infantry (2), Hardened Fighters (2), Fieldcraft (4), 1 unspent regiment point

Notes: 1 unspent kit point; replaced Hatred (Mutants) with Hatred (Orks). Based on a old WD article by Gav Thorpe, the Polar Guard are an elite mountaneer unit from Valhalla, specialized in covert operations.

36th Roanian Gunners

"Another wave boys, brace those autocannons and have fun ! READY ? SHOOT THOSE BASTARDS, FIIIIIIIIIRE !!!" Sergeant Morgan Vail of the 36th Roania Gunners to his heavy weapon squad.

Roania is a fortress world known for the tough soldiers raised on its floor. Those Imperial guards are well organized, well equipped, and always bring some heavy fire power. They share a common love for loud guns and big explosion. The only thing they like more than the comforting recoil of a heavy weapon is yelling while shooting it. The downside of this is that this regiment is used to deal with "collateral damages", some missed shots may happen and their reckless nature make them take risks. To survive, the Roanian Gunners had to strengthen their bodies, they are used to take some blow. Because of their heavy weaponry, they have good relations with the Adeptus Mechanicus, providing them quite easily with implants or bionic replacements.

Even though their efficiency is know far beyond their sector, other imperial regiments may be quite worried to stand near when the 36th start to do their job, as suppressing fire could suppressed them as well as the enemy. This explain why imperial commanders keep the regiment isolated sometimes…

When it comes to vehicles, the roanians prefers heavy artillery, the open structure of the basilisk allow them to fully feel the recoil of the earthshaker cannon, and to directly see the damages they caused. Every regiment contain at least one artillery company.

When the 36th Ronian Gunners are deployed they may be slow to get ready, but then, they tear apart the enemy with heavy weapon fire, drown their communication with insults, holy songs, or simply yells, and bury their bodies with heavy artillery.

-Fortress World -Siege infantry -Sanguine commander -Die hard -Augmetics

Homeworld: Roania (Fortress World)

Modifiers: +3 Ballistic skill +6 Toughness, -3 Intelligence

Skills: Common Lore (Imperium), Common Lore (War), Common Lore (Imperial Guard), Tech Use.

Talents: Hatred (Orks), Nerves of steel, Sprint, Die Hard.

Wounds: normal

Other Traits: Bred for war, Augmetics.

Favored Weapons: Flamer, Autocannon

Kit: M36 Lasgun (main weapon), 6 charge packs, Knife, 2 Frag Grenades, 2 Photon Flash Grenades, Good craftmanship Guard Flak Armor, Respirator, 4 empty sandbags, Entrenching tool, Micro-Bead, Uniform, Additional field uniform, Poor weather gear, Rucksack or Sling Bag, Basic Tool Set, Mess Kit, Sleep Bag, Lamp Pack, Grooming Kit, Cognomen Tags, Primer, 2 weeks rations, Chrono, Grapnel, Magnocular.

Note : My little custom regiment, I would play a heavy gunner with autocannon. By the way, sorry if I did some grammar mistakes I am not a native english speaker, I wish I could fine Only war players in my country T-T.

For my Commisar who was inspired by Lt Gruber from 'allo 'allo.

17th Imperial Auxilla

The Forge world of San Sargo lie in the Segmentum Pacificus, and gained fame one of the worlds where the forces of the Sabbat worlds crusade mustered before launching their long and bloody campaign. It's mighty manufactorums continued to supply vital armaments to the Adeptes Ministoruim in support of the Crusade for the entire duration. As the supply ships plied the warp back to the orbtial depots of San Sargo all too often they bore the remains of those guardsmen whose bodies had not been too desecrated by chaos to offer their final service in the corpse starch pits. Almost as often they also bore the orphans of those same guardsmen.

The Schola Progenium quickly formed an academy for these scions of the lost heros of the Imperial crusade, replenishing the ranks of the guards, storm troopers and comissars anew.

Reserve Col. Van Strom heads the 17 Imperial Auxilla, a training command for young Commisars that trains as Light Infantry. A pious man, he distrusts the influence of the Cult of the Omnissiah that pervades the forge world and makes sure his young charges are well versed in the Imperial Creed. Nonetheless the forgeworld leaves it's mark and the graduates of San Sargo are comfortable with the gifts of the Omnissiah and more often favored by the Cult Mechanicus with his gifts. The Auxilla is trained to be as tactically and operationally flexible as possible given the massive range of possible warzones his pupils may be assigned to when they board the supply ships carrying them to the front of the crusade.

Schola Progenium, Supine Commander, Light Infantry, Augmentics, Sharp Shooter

+3 Willpower, +3 WS or BS, +3 Agl, -3 Tou, +1 W

Common Lore Imperial Guard, Imperium, War, Imperial Creed, Ecclesiarchy

Navigate Surface

High Gothic

Air of Authority or Unshakable Faith, Deadeye Shot, Sprint

Ballistics Aptitude

Favored Weapons: Hotshot Lasgun and Plasma Cannon

One lascarbine and four charge packs, one set of Imperial Flak Armour, two frag grenades, two smoke grenades, One uniform, Poor weather gear,
One Knife, Rucksack, One set of basic tools, One mess kit and one water canteen, One blanket and one sleep bag, One rechargeable lamp pack
One grooming kit, One set of cognomen tags, One primer, One Grapnel and Line, One Clip Harness, Combat sustenance rations, two weeks' supply