Dr Who and the cleared area

By Danayel, in Adventure: Against the Savages

In the initial description of the refinery the cleared area is described as…

"The jungle is cleared to a distance of 50 metres from the walls in all directions. " (Pg. 257)

But when the Big Mek orders the advance, and rides forth on his war Trakk…

"Once that happens, the vehicles drive the 200 metres forward to join in the fray."

It seems that the cleared area became some sort of tardis and grew to 4 times it's size. sorpresa.gif

200 metre bit is on Pg. 260

Actually I found my answer myself when writing another thread. I noticed that the Big Mek is lying in wait 200 meters away from the other side of the wall.

Which then raises another question. How do they shoot -anything- through 150 meters of Deathworld Jungle???

Even if he tries to shoot indirectly, he still has to deal with the Jungle canopy, and would be making a completely blind salvo of shots at the wall.

Wouldn't this be more than just a little likely to miss and hit the refinery (which the BM doesn't want to do) as the tanks are less than 100 meters beyond the wall?

Furthermore, how does he know if his men have made it into the base or not? I doubt he can see through 150 meters of Deathworld Jungle.

Then finally, he can't exactly race into battle through that jungle, even on a war trakk. It would take a good 10 to 15 minutes to drive anything 150 meters through jungle unless it was along a road or trail. (e.g. he was going for the front gate) .

Perhaps he and his men should sneak up to the tree line as the hellhound attacks and then fire their salvo and charge. Then have him race the 50 meters across the clearing.

Then finally, he can't exactly race into battle through that jungle, even on a war trakk. It would take a good 10 to 15 minutes to drive anything 150 meters through jungle unless it was along a road or trail. (e.g. he was going for the front gate) .

He's a Big Mek. He could simply walk into Mordor - or at least design a contraption that can. For reference, take the Jungle Cutter from Indiana Jones IV. (dammit, this was a beautiful and entirely freakish machine. Why can't I find any good pictures of it from the movie?)

I reasoned that there were some roadways or at least trails cut through the jungle and that the irks would charge straight ahead along the easiest path. One road leading to the facility made it easy for the PCs to set up an ambush for the assault force though. My group used all 6 kg of demo charges set over 100 meters from the main gate down the access road. They used the dead ork's weapons piled up next to a smoldering burn pile of the dead orks as bait. The demo charge took out everything in the first wave with 29 damage and righteous fury to boot.

Danayel said:

Perhaps he and his men should sneak up to the tree line as the hellhound attacks and then fire their salvo and charge. Then have him race the 50 meters across the clearing.

This is the most sensible solution given the adventure paramaters.

People might also want to consider reducing the size of the fort to say 100m a side just for practicality's sake (especially if the characters dont have micro-beads), and pushing the clear zone out to 100m to give the players an opportunity to miss a few times, because they will - when the orcs get to hand to hand, PCs start to die pretty quick.

One thing that you may have over estimated was the thickness of the trees, Sure it is a deathworld but that doesnt mean the jungle is some superdense death trap. true 150m is a fair distance in a jungle (even a sparsly populated one) but as benj02 said, there are sure to be small trails and paths around the compound, so it could be quite reasonable for the orks to see the compound from 200m out and in terms of advancing through the jungle, like Cifer said "he's a big mek" there is a large number of modifications that the mek would install so they could plow through the jungle, hell a deffrolla would make short work of most trees (earth trees anyway). Even still a big ram at the frount of the trukks would allow them to plow/bounce through the jungle trees towards the base. As a gm i allowed the trukks to reach the clearing just as about half of the squad where in place to meet the assult

I have never seen sparse jungle…

But it is just a game, if its an issue for your players then deal with it, but if everyone is ok with unimpressed movement through jungle then that will enable to put your focus where the players DO want more details.

Fantasy Adventure is an action RPG from Userjoy. In the game, players control an expanding team of heroes, fight against malicious monsters and bandits