Skills and Talents

By greybort, in Game Mechanics

I just purchased your beta testing and overall I love what you have done. It has the feel of an old World War 2 film with a small group of soldiers trying to survive the hostile galaxy. The characters are diverse, and I can already see possible advancements in the form of Commissar Lord, Psyker Lord, or Capt. You have really made Only War different from the other 40K titles, which is a good thing as I was worried it would be Deathwatch lite. The one quibble I have is with character advancement. It seems overly complicated, and more in line with Black Crusade with no linear advancement tables. One of the big enjoyments that my group and I have had, starting with Dark Heresy, has been the sometimes hard choices based on what skills/traits the players wanted, and the (limited) amount of experience they had to spend. In fact, this was the big reason we dropped Black Crusade! I would think that, like the Space Marines, Imperial Guard would be very regimented in what advances soldiers could choose from, based on their specialty.

Heck no. I much prefer what Only War did. I hate linear classes/advancements.

Frankie said:

Heck no. I much prefer what Only War did. I hate linear classes/advancements.

Personally, I have enjoyed both the linear progression of the earlier 40K games and the more free-formed method first introduced within Black Crusade . However, there is, in a way, more book keeping required of both players and GMs with the free form advancements. This does not appear to be as much an issue in Only War , as aptitudes appear set.

-=Brother Praetus=-