an ode to insanity

By COCLCG, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

one last deck for a while. i simply had to create this one before i have a breather.

absolutely no idea if its practical at all, won't until i get to playtest it, and there are numerous cards ( around 17 types!! ) waiting in the wings to try and refine it to possibly become playable. mainly hastur with a small 10 card cthulhu contingency and 6 neutrals ( at 52 cards so needs a shave ). definately in first prototype form.

i give you……. an ode to insanity.

Granny orne x 2
Dangerous inmate x 3
Deranged diva x 3
Victoria glasser x 2
Wandering inmate x 2
Messenger from beyond x 2
Old man of the woods x 3
Nightstalker x 3
Erich zann x 2
Keeper of dreams x 2

The rays of dawn x 2
Arkham asylum x 2
Monophobia x 2
Primal fear x 3
Called by azazoth x 2
Sleep of reason x 3
The sirens of hell x 3
Final note x 3
Scotophobia x 2
Horrifying daydreams x 3
Whisper in the wind x 3

only 10 cards of 3 cost. 42 of 2 and below. if it works it will be because it drives the competition insane / destroys them at stories through event / ability terror icon and willpower removal, hopefully leaving them undefended, but would probably have to achieve this very early. can't wait to test this one, refine to define the balance needed between insanity and insanity destruction ( extras of each aplenty ), and hopefully make a deck of it!! already as i read through the list it feels as though it needs a better ratio of willpower to terror icon removals.

will probably also have to tone it down a bit and include some initial delaying tactics like seventy steps / palpable unhappiness / called to the sea.

( also made before new asylum packs )

I've actually played a bunch of insanity decks like this. One thing I've found is it can be tough driving people insane even with a bunch of icon removal. After numerous testing, the best thing IMO is still the big guy, Hastur.

The deck I had would use broken space, broken time to get Hastur out ASAP. Once he is out, it's much easier to dive everyone crazy. Plus it saves you a bunch of card slots from all the other icon removal stuff you have.

haha.

actually hastur was one of the cards in the waiting list, joined by power drain for lord jeffrey farrington. still risky though. if the opponent can get rid of him then you're screwed ( the fact he's not invulnerable blows hard ).

most the icon / willpower removals are events in story so cannot be prepared for, whereas hastur can be pre-planned for was another factor. of course will be trying it out with him also.

this deck actually started out as a yog / hastur deck with lots of control and sentinel hill sending them back to hand after control returns to opponent, along with things in the ground and insanity destruction / restoring. kinda mutated over the course of yesterday when i built it. was actually thinking pre - sleep i might swing back to Yog ( yay ) and drop cthulhu ( boo ) to keep my 'never used a cthulhu deck' integrity, add a bit of control as well and use a gift of knowledge for that pesky 5th success, and hearing your difficulties i will probably swing back to that initial idea.

super effort on the reply and great minds must think alike!! its excellent when people give you things to think about and let you know what they've found to be most effective in their decks…….

( see what happens when you post your ideas people!! sometimes someone can say 'yep, tried it, hard to do' and i've saved myself a whole bunch of time )

speaking of Hastur, WTF is with that?? he has got to be the most suckiest ancient one WITH A FACTION NAMED AFTER HIM!!

crap icons

crap toughness

and every other ancient one has a way of early playing within their own faction, but noooooo, not Hastur ( and i refuse to pay creedence to demented phrenologist ).

***************DOUBLE POST****************

Hehe, see I actually like Hastur (Lord of Carcosa variant). Yes he isn't invulnerable, but if you get him out and hit a Lost in the Madness it's been a game winner for me with this deck.

Sure it isn't a top tier deck, but it's very thematic and fun. The core cards were:

• Hastur, Lord of Carcosa
  • Broken Space, Broken Time
  • Lost in the Madness

I used Cthulhu off faction, but I think Shub would work also.

oh, don't get me wrong. huge fan of the Hastur-meister and the theme of insanity. i just think he got short-changed when they made the MAJOR ancient ones. but i do suppose his ability is bitchin'.

definately going with Yog / Hastur. having a LOT of fun with this one.

sentinel hill / single phase control cards

things from the ground / insanity destruction and restoring

and my new favourite i can't wait to try, which i call the 'kelpie cross':

hound of tindalos / blind submission = characters of up to 6 skill switching sides, then unattach the hound !! ( i think thats how it works).

COCLCG said:

one last deck for a while. i simply had to create this one before i have a breather.

absolutely no idea if its practical at all, won't until i get to playtest it, and there are numerous cards ( around 17 types!! ) waiting in the wings to try and refine it to possibly become playable. mainly hastur with a small 10 card cthulhu contingency and 6 neutrals ( at 52 cards so needs a shave ). definately in first prototype form.

i give you……. an ode to insanity.

Granny orne x 2
Dangerous inmate x 3
Deranged diva x 3
Victoria glasser x 2
Wandering inmate x 2
Messenger from beyond x 2
Old man of the woods x 3
Nightstalker x 3
Erich zann x 2
Keeper of dreams x 2

The rays of dawn x 2
Arkham asylum x 2
Monophobia x 2
Primal fear x 3
Called by azazoth x 2
Sleep of reason x 3
The sirens of hell x 3
Final note x 3
Scotophobia x 2
Horrifying daydreams x 3
Whisper in the wind x 3

only 10 cards of 3 cost. 42 of 2 and below. if it works it will be because it drives the competition insane / destroys them at stories through event / ability terror icon and willpower removal, hopefully leaving them undefended, but would probably have to achieve this very early. can't wait to test this one, refine to define the balance needed between insanity and insanity destruction ( extras of each aplenty ), and hopefully make a deck of it!! already as i read through the list it feels as though it needs a better ratio of willpower to terror icon removals.

will probably also have to tone it down a bit and include some initial delaying tactics like seventy steps / palpable unhappiness / called to the sea.

( also made before new asylum packs )

I have never wanted to try out the Lunatics because of the sacrifice of board position, without playing MU as the support faction for Dr. Carson. I have been trying to build something similar, but I want to throw in all the icon manipulation stuff: 3x Messenger from Beyond, 3x Scotophobia, 3x scalpel; because you have to be able to remove terror icons or this deck will fail miserably against any monster deck… although Rays of Dawn is interesting and very effective. Willpower is tough, but I throw in Keeper of Dreams, but that usually does hand destruction instead, so I like Monophobia, but the deck still seems light on Cthulhu. I like the idea of Lord of Carcosa Hastur with Broken Space for willpower control instead of weak cthulhu support. Don't like Erich Zann either…if there's a character you want to target for insanity, use an event. He seems subpar to me. I'd rather have some Victoria's Protege to bounce Victoria back to hand. I also like Hastur's take-control effects. That's kept me in a game on a couple of occasions. Scythian Eye FTW.

This may be a little clunky, but Victoria's Loft to blast with Granny Orne, instead of the sirens and final notes. But to do that, you couldn't run lunatics… :P