Canon Regiment Stats Don't Add Up

By Frankie, in Proofreading Changes

For example,

How do Kriegers get +2WP?

How do Janissaries get +2WS?

Some of these stats are pulled out of a hat since the regiment creation rules wouldn't let you recreate these statlines.

Not to mention canon conflicts. Famed line infantry regiment the Mordian Iron Guard not starting with a Lasgun (individually) but a Leman Russ (Squad level) instead :| I'm willing to accept that there are Mordian Armoured Regt's, but surely the first thing that springs to mind when they think of Mordians is a line of dress uniformed men holding lasguns, much like the Praetorians.

If the desire is there to include an example Armoured Regt, there are plenty of other choices. A quick look on lexicanum indicates a number of available options.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Imperial_Guard_Regiments

Durandal7 said:

Not to mention canon conflicts. Famed line infantry regiment the Mordian Iron Guard not starting with a Lasgun (individually) but a Leman Russ (Squad level) instead :| I'm willing to accept that there are Mordian Armoured Regt's, but surely the first thing that springs to mind when they think of Mordians is a line of dress uniformed men holding lasguns, much like the Praetorians.

Right…

The famed regiment rules seem to be suffering quite badly from legacy material syndrome, and not all of the changes made in the rest of the Regiment Creation chapter seem to have made it into those write-ups properly. I've been putting together amended/updated write-ups for them based on the current version of the Regiment Creation Rules for the last few hours (since I got home from work), which I'll submit to The Powers That Be fairly soon. Some of the feedback I'm submitting discusses material that hasn't been published, and as I'm still under NDA, that means I can't post it on the forums for everyone.

It is worth considering that the individual Famed Regiments are not generic entries - the Cadian rules don't represent all Cadian regiments, but rather a specific Cadian regiment (the 99th Mechanised Infantry, to be exact). Because much of the background material from Only War is absent from the Beta, there are a few paragraphs of text explaining about these specific regiments which aren't in the Beta, so I can understand the confusion.

The specific regiments detailed in the Famed Regiments section are as follows:

The Cadian 99th Mechanised Infantry

The Catachan 18th Light Infantry

The Krieg 616th Siege Infantry

The 13th Elysian Drop Troops

The 1322nd Maccabean Janissaries

The Mordian 12th Armoured Regiment

The Tallarn 11th Desert Raiders (Light Infantry)

The 55th Vostroyan Firstborn

I did, in my original rough notes, have alternative Tallarn and Mordian write-ups (with a Mordians Line Infantry regiment and a Tallarn Armoured or Recon regiment - Mordian and Tallarn both produce numerous vehicle regiments alongside their infantry, as do most heavily-militarised worlds).

Strictly-speaking, however, there should be nothing special about the Famed Regiments rules-wise (with two exceptions, which I'll get to) - they should all be examples of what can be created using the Regiment Creation Rules. The Tallarn and the Krieg receive a slightly different set of homeworld traits than they would ordinarily (Tallarn are a variant of Death Worlders, Krieg are a variant of Penitent), but those don't impact how many points everything costs or influence their characteristics, skills, talents, equipment or aptitudes.

I apologize to you two gentlemen (H.B.M.C. & N0-1_H3r3), my inability to read titles sensibly led me to an embarrassing episode of unjustified righteous indignation. **** silly, sorry gents.