Chapter VI: Armoury

By ffgMark, in Proofreading Changes

vogue69 said:

page 135 to 136, the tripod bipod. What good does it do? It says I can mount it on a basic weapon. I guess a bipod on a basic weapon like a sniper rifle gives a bonus to ballistic tests? of halfs called shots?

From the book itself:

A weapon braced on a bipod has a 90-degree fire arc, while one on a tripod has a 180-degree arc.

So unless you have Bulging Biceps or Auto-Stabilized you'll have a reduce arc of fire while braced.

The table of contents has two headlines called "Imperial Guard Vehicles", one for the vehicle rules in general (page 151) and one for the specific vehicles (page 155). It may be helpful to rename one of them.

I hope this is new and nobody found it, but the smoke grenade in the Table 6-10: Grenades, Missiles, and Rounds has the sepecial entry Smoke, but lacks any value in parenthesis, which according to the weapon special quality Smoke on page 124 should have, to know the radius of the smoke screen it should create on impact. The same applies to blind grenade, blind round and smoke round.

Quick Update

Sights

Both a preysence sight and photo sight are Very rare. Even though preysence is considerably better than a photo sight as it ALSO removes penalties for being at night, but gives a +20 bonus aswell. Now, photo contacts in DH core are scarce which they should be here.

Also it doesnt say these 'sights' incorporate the benefit of telescopic sights. Which i think is the intention of this entry over, say, prehsence goggles or visors etc. Which could just as easily be combined with a telescopic sight, but as it stands these can not and are overpriced and redundant. Even with the extra scope ability i would expect them to be only Rare, as, say, a bolt pistol.

Shotguns

'Shotgun' has never had much love. And this state of affairs is going to continue. Unless, you give it the option to fire both barrels at the same time. Making it 'storm'. As it was stated in the first DH and that was before the first storm and twin linked rules it has been neglected.

Swords

Are these really only common?

The grapnel and harness both cost 5pts on requisition. Thats common rarity i think.

However the harness gives you +30 to climb and the grapnel just lets you ascend automatically.

I suggest possibly dropping the harness to plentifull, and allowing it to help you ascend aswell. Even though a grapnel could do that automatically also.

Shadow Walker said:

Tanks are either enormous size or in case of Baneblade massive but Table 5-6 Size from Traits chapter give size 6 - enormous to Sentinels and size 7 - massive to battle tanks. So tell me please which one is correct (altough I think that Table 5-6 Size makes more sense).

I was about to say the same thing… the sizes seem all out of whack.

There is no entry for the Black Blood/Autosanguine implant, yet in the Talents chapter there is the Prosanguine Talent, which lists the Autosanguine Implant in it's requirements.

No krak rounds under 'grenades, missiles & rounds' section.

So what does a mortar do when it wants to destroy a bunker? Wait for a missile launcher to be brought up? I think krak rounds might exist in the imperium.

I've never seen mortar krak rounds in the fluff before - I believe mortars in the Imperium are used purely for anti-personnel and pinning.

All Melta Weapons have Penetration 12 and the Melta Quality which doubles their Pen to 24 on short range.
The Melta Bomb on page 146 only has Pen 12 that is never doubled. I'm assuming this is a mistake and it should be pen 24 instead (which would make it more usefull as an anti tank weapon which it is supposed to be.)

Page 127, the Heavy Stubber write-up. "…the heavy stubber is can used hand-held…" Major typo.

Is the heavy flamer really supposed to only do d10+5 Pen4? I'd expect it to be more powerful and I wondered if this might be a typo.

On page 146 in the Stummer entry it reads: "…A character carrying an active stummer gains a +30 bonus to Silent Move Tests…"

But in Only War there is like in Black Crusade only the skill Stealth so it should be changed to Stealth instead of Silent Move.

I am not sure, if it was already mentioned, but the force weapons should have the values of a best quality mono upgraded low-tech weapon of the same kind and only receive the quality Force as added bonus. But the Force Staff on page 132 in the Table 6-12: Melee Weapons lacks the Balanced quality of the normal staff and also the +1 bonus damage from the best quality that the Force Sword has.

Luther Engelsnot said:

I am not sure, if it was already mentioned, but the force weapons should have the values of a best quality mono upgraded low-tech weapon of the same kind and only receive the quality Force as added bonus. But the Force Staff on page 132 in the Table 6-12: Melee Weapons lacks the Balanced quality of the normal staff and also the +1 bonus damage from the best quality that the Force Sword has.

Also note, there appears to be little reason to acquire a force staff beyond fluff reasons. It provides no bonus over the extra +1 damage that the sword deals.

Correction: Weights

My group upon completing our first few missions discovered something that has not been mentioned before that I have seen. below are just a few examples (forum will not allow posting of a table so I saved am only posting a sample.)

Frag Missile 0.5kg before 4kg after
Krak Missile 0.5kg before 4kg after
Minefield Round 1kg before 2kg after Increase damage/effect
Photon Flash Round 1kg before 1.5kg after Increase damage/effect

For a point of comparison. The Krak missile which is roughly analogous to the FGM-77 Dragon anti-tank missile (as well as many others,) has a range that is similar than the Dragon. But the dragon masses in higher at 10.9-12.2 kg (Variant depending.)
Mortar rounds and Frag missiles need an increased damage or effect bonus as there is little reason to use them vs other weapons (damage too close to hand grenades.) Even grenade launcher grenades are more effective than hand grenades in the real world.

Just my groups thoughts on the matter.

Pappystein

PS under the current mass for missiles I have a player running around with 16 missiles in his and his Comrad/Squadmate packs. In his words "I can carry 20 lbs of missiles by myself!"

Stormtrooper Carapace has no description in the text. From pg. 143 in Dark Heresy Ascension on Cadian-Pattern "Kasrkin" Storm Trooper Carapace :

"The Departmento Munitorum in the Calixis Sector has long adopted the Cadian pattern carapace armor for its Storm Trooper units, feeling that a design used by one of the Imperium's most vital fortress worlds has an implicit recommendation. Storm Troopers are elite and versatile troopers, and their armor must be equally versatile.

"Kasrkin" carapace is designed to be worn as a complete suit. It has an integral auspex unit with wrist display and attachments for a grav chute. The carapace helmet is equipped with a rebreather, photo-visor, encrypted micro-bead, and a clip attachment on the side of the helmet for either a lamp pack or a vid-recorder. These systems are powered by a small charge pack (equivalent in cost and size to a lasgun charge pack) that must be replaced after a week of continuous use."

The Primitive quality of page 123: "Crude and basic in design, these kinds of weapons, while still deadly, are less effective against modern armour. When
rolling for Damage with these weapons, any dice roll greater than the number in parentheses (X) counts as that number."

This fluff implies that the rules text should be "When rolling for Damage with these weapons against a target wearing armour that is not primitive, any dice roll greater than the number in parentheses (X) counts as that number."

Otherwise you have hide armour being just as effective as stormtrooper carapace, or primitive weapons being less effective againt armour of rambo.

According to weekly updates the Shotgun (Pump-Action) has had its damage reduced to 1d10+3 and its clip increased to 12; yet both the regular Shotgun and Combat Shotgun have not been addressed for reduced damage, and the Shotgun ; presumably intended to represent double-barreled varieties, still retains its clip of 8.

The damage for shotguns does not need to be adjusted; 1d10+4 has been typical of generic models since Dark Heresy was first launched. However, the so-called "clip" sizes do need some attention. Suggestions follow:

• Shotgun (double-barrel?) - Clip Size: 2
  • Shotgun (pump-action) - Clip Size: 12 is feasible; such a design would likely utilize a side-by-side tubular magazine.
  • Combat Shotgun - Clip Size: 18; fine as it is.

Just some thoughts.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Smoke weapons should have a value assigned to them, the Smoke Grenade and Round do not.

I'm also missing the indirect and barrage fire rules for vehicles, they are mentioned in the text and on the chart on page 186 but nowhere else…

p. 125 (and p. 155ff)

Just a minor detail, but the heavy stubber has a clip of 75. With a ROF of -/-/8 that's silly. 72 or 80 (preferbly) would make sense, 75 does not.

Musclewizard said:

vogue69 said:

page 135 to 136, the tripod bipod. What good does it do? It says I can mount it on a basic weapon. I guess a bipod on a basic weapon like a sniper rifle gives a bonus to ballistic tests? of halfs called shots?

From the book itself:

A weapon braced on a bipod has a 90-degree fire arc, while one on a tripod has a 180-degree arc.

So unless you have Bulging Biceps or Auto-Stabilized you'll have a reduce arc of fire while braced.

then either delete the "basic weapon" from the upgradable weapons or explain what bracing does if done with a basic weapon.

p.151 Vechicle Types: when you say that there will be no rules for aircraft/spacecraft why waste book space mentioning it?

Page 114

First Paragraph

Last Sentence

Last Word

misssions should be missions