$20 Price tag

By Brother Praetus, in General Discussion

Hello,

I am a little leery of the $20 price tag on the BETA copy of the book. Is there going to be a discount given to participants on the final product when it becomes available in PDF?

-=Brother Praetus=-

I share this gentleman's concerns. I was extremely fired up when I saw the open beta advert! But with a $20 tag?

That's no open beta I recognize!

Unless there is some benefit to dropping $20, for a beta no less, then I shall stay clear. Which is a great shame as I'm extremely keen on 40k, have all the other 40k RPG's and have been an active(ish) member of the DW community and provided player and gm aids free of charge and in my own time.

An open beta is a great notion, regardless. Mayhap the spelling shall improve at release gran_risa.gif

-Durandal

That makes three of us, so far. Why on earth would I fork over $20 for an incomplete and possibly flawed version of the core rules? Will this follow with a $20 discount on a future purchase of the completed core rulebook? Or better yet, a free upgrade to the completed core rulebook (as compensation for playtesting and providing feedback to FFG)? I love DH and DW, but I am not hard core enough to dive in blind for $20.

I troll'd too.

If your goal is to get as much feedback as possible, make the beta free. Like every other beta.

If your goal is to make pre-sales, be clearer about the fact that we will get a $20 credit (minimum) towards the final book.

If your goal is to charge people for a beta, then you are sadly misguided.

Hello all,

We understand your concerns regarding the cost of the Only War beta, and would like to clarify a few important points:

• The Only War beta is a complete, 256-page playable version of Only War ; the only difference is that it omits certain art pieces and background “flavor” that will be present in the final version. This product has already undergone extensive development, playtesting, and refinement, and we have no doubt that it’s ready to provide hours of enjoyment.
  • Of course, you should also bear in mind that Only War beta test participants have an opportunity to experience the game months before they otherwise would.
  • Finally, as an added benefit, anyone who downloads the Only War beta from drivethrurpg.com or rpgnow.com will receive a $20 discount on the pdf version of the Only War Core Rulebook when it becomes available in the fall. Simply download the beta, and when the electronic version of the full rulebook goes live in a few months, you’ll receive the necessary coupon code for use on drivethrurpg.com or rpgnow.com.

As always, thanks for your support!

Sounds fair to me, off to buy my copy. I'm sure it's great work as always, love your 40k series!

Durandal7 said:

An open beta is a great notion, regardless. Mayhap the spelling shall improve at release gran_risa.gif

-Durandal

You must have missed the part where they said to not try to proofread every paragraph. I guess that's what their paid proofreaders are for! gui%C3%B1o.gif

ffgMark said:

• Finally, as an added benefit, anyone who downloads the Only War beta from drivethrurpg.com or rpgnow.com will receive a $20 discount on the pdf version of the Only War Core Rulebook when it becomes available in the fall. Simply download the beta, and when the electronic version of the full rulebook goes live in a few months, you’ll receive the necessary coupon code for use on drivethrurpg.com or rpgnow.com.

Good news! You really should have made this point much more clearly on the download page over at drivethrurpg.com in order to avoid these very questions.

Naaaaaaah. Count me out.

drive thru rpg often dose bundle deals where you purchase the hard copy and a pdf copy at a reduced price on the pdf, if this 20$ off was also applicable to that bundle deal it would be a very nice bonus, given the book+pdf is often around 20-25$ more than just the book it would get you the pdf for more or less free with purchase of the hard copy through drive thru rpg.

Bearcat89 said:

Why on earth would I fork over $20 for an incomplete and possibly flawed version of the core rules?

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Alpha Chaos:

Not to try and read every paragraph? Well that explains much! I chuckled to myself when I saw Asdrubael Vect's name spelt Asdrubael Vest in Black Crusade! (Page 344, Column 2, Paragraph 1, Line 5)

ffgMark said:

This is exactly the response I was hoping. Now to grab it up, read through it so I am at least familiar with any changes, and then see if I might convince one of my non-40K groups to give it a try.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Durandal7 said:

Alpha Chaos:

Not to try and read every paragraph? Well that explains much! I chuckled to myself when I saw Asdrubael Vect's name spelt Asdrubael Vest in Black Crusade! (Page 344, Column 2, Paragraph 1, Line 5)

His clothing is so evil, it is referred to as a seperate entity! You don't want to see the stats for Asdrubael Boxer-briefs ! Scary.

Looking at all this, does this mean that Only War will not be available for purchase at GenCon this year?

Alpha Chaos 13 said:

Durandal7 said:

Alpha Chaos:

His clothing is so evil, it is referred to as a seperate entity! You don't want to see the stats for Asdrubael Boxer-briefs ! Scary.

Good grief! I shudder to think what evil his Boxer-briefs are capable of!

TheDarkeldar said:

Looking at all this, does this mean that Only War will not be available for purchase at GenCon this year?

General conjecture is that it won't be available at GenCon. I think that it will be since they are looking toward doing a fall release.

Armand23 said:

General conjecture is that it won't be available at GenCon. I think that it will be since they are looking toward doing a fall release.

Yeah, I got spoiled with the last 3 core books being available at GenCon that I waited at the door closest to the FFG area, so I could dash in and pick them up as soon as the exhibitor hall opened. Doesn't seem to be much need to be in a hurry this year.

TheDarkeldar said:

Armand23 said:

Yeah, I got spoiled with the last 3 core books being available at GenCon that I waited at the door closest to the FFG area, so I could dash in and pick them up as soon as the exhibitor hall opened. Doesn't seem to be much need to be in a hurry this year.

To be fair, last year they had enough copies of Black Crusade to last the whole Con. I know they still had them on Saturday at least…

But yeah, since the Beta ends the week -after- Gen Con. I imagine it isn't coming.

Just chalk me up as another person who is a bit bummed this discount won't be able to be applied to a Hard Copy, because I don't really like PDFs, books are much easier to reference most of the time in gaming due to an instinctive knowledge of where to open to. So while I paid for the Beta to 'get' the game for now, I likely just spent an extra 20 bucks on it… though I suppose since I have this it'll be easy enough to wait for Amazon to get it and I'll still come out ahead of if I got it from Gen Con at full price.

You could always give the beta code you get [got?] to a friend. And it's funny, I prefer PDFs for exactly the same reason you prefer books. It is just faster to jot a few of the important page numbers down on a notepad and type them into your viewer.

In the days up to a game session I often find I need to look up stuff in the books, and having the books as PDF gives me the option to do so when I am not home. But when you sit at the table and the gaming is going strong you need the hard cover books or it doesn't feel right. gran_risa.gif

Get a tablet, case-mod it a little and tell yourself you're looking at a dataslate? lengua.gif

Cifer said:

Get a tablet, case-mod it a little and tell yourself you're looking at a dataslate? lengua.gif

Perform the Rite of Access to Unlock.

• Place the tip of your primary digit, auto-quill or other sanctioned interface appendage in contact with the Rune of Unlocking. Immediately prior to and during this, quietly recite the third verse of the 8th Invocation of Sanctioned Usage. As a commonplace device employed by the uninitiated, Low Gothic derivation 341b is an acceptable alternative to the original binaric form of the Invocation, though the binaric is regarded as a more expedient form.
  • Remaining in contact with the Rune of Unlocking, slide the tip of the interface appendage in a straight line towards the newly-revealed Sigil of Completion. The time of traverse should be precisely that of segment 81 of the Litany of Timing, which should be quietly recited (in original binaric, or using Low Gothic derivation 12c) to guarantee that sufficient time passes.
  • Withdraw interface appendage from the surface of the blessed device. The machine's spirit has now been appeased, and it will function in a normally-sanctioned manner. Should the Rite of Access fail, repeat exactly. Should the Rite of Access fail thrice, report the device to a sanctioned technomat or lay-technician, who will attempt the rituals necessary to aid and appease the distressed device's spirit. Should this fail, the device may require reconsecration by an Initiated Priest of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Sad to say, even with money off in the future, twenty bucks is a tad too much right now. Hopefully I'll be in a better situation come the release, but until then I have Eleventh Hour. I took a swing at play testing that, but it's obviously a light version of the rules so i also used the Dark heresy rulebook. It wasn't a bad experience over all, but I'm still checking out the beta posts as they come through looking for fixes to some issues we raised .