Sub Report - - - - What a Thrill-Ride!

By VonEpp, in Red November

Played first two games at Euro Quest 2008 here in Maryland.

I've been eyeing this game since I saw it on FFG's "up coming" games. I like the theme of co-operative gaming and the humor involved in such a dire situation...such as a sinking sub filled with gnomes. I saw a freshly stock Red October game at a local "Brick-n-Motar" store's table and snatched it up. It gathered a small

gran_risa.gif The first game started out with multiple fires and flooded compartments. Then there was a series of gnome mishaps with missile countdowns and a myriad of other pending disasters. We (players) ran around the sinking sub chewing gum to plug holes and drinking lots of liquor to quell the fires. Something just amiss here...alcohol and fire partido_risa.gif . Then our gnomes started to pass out and the not-so-drunk gnomes had to bail them out, literally. Of course, there must have been a commie amongst us...key doors seemed to become locked for no reason at all.

Then...when all hell broken loose on this rust-bucket, a Kraken, a very large underwater MONSTER appeared from the depths of the sea. What the . . . . . ! We realized we were in deep kimshee now. We picked a not-so-drunk-or-he-would-totally-screw-this-up gnome to dawn a wetsuit to hunt down this Kraken. We armed him with a "Sea Hunt" styled spear gun. He just looked at us like we were the idiots. We just smiled and pushed him outside into the dark deep blue...and gave him a bottle of GROG to fortify his will to survive....or to ease the pain before his demise. Muhahahahaha! We then closed the hatch behind him and quickly ran to the porthole to watch the action.

Wow…he speared it on the first try…luck for us! We all cheered and drank GROG. As we started to sing some far offish and out of tune gnome victory song…we hear a crack! Cr*P! We forgot to mine the ship and we sank…and died right there.

To the horror of our fellow and remaining surviving gnome outside…he watched as his dear sub sank. Voyage to the bottom of the sea. He had a slight twinkle in his eye demonio.gif but that quickly faded as he was told that he was 10 seconds too deep to survive. Blub blub blub!

We all died on the first game. A total thrill ride indeed.

gran_risa.gif The second game started as the first…disaster after disaster. No Kraken this time. He must have been busy bullying some other gnomish sub.

This time, we all were cheering as all but one made it to the coveted “0” time spot! The last gnome made his way to the “0” mark and drew the last card. We were celebrating and drinking GROG! As we surfaced and started to open our hatch on this rust-bucket, the last card indicated a reactor warm-up. sorpresa.gif C**P! We burned up inside this rust-bucket and died. The gnomish surface fleet watched as we sank below the waves….blub blub blub again!

preocupado.gif ***Sigh***

Again…another thrill-ride. A great game of fun and sorrow…

but hey, we have GR lengua.gif G!

VonEpp

Great Sub Report! I really hope this game gets some more attention by gamers out there cause I think it is worthy of being on everyones gaming shelf. And I think this report could really inspire folks to atleast give it a try and enjoy it.

I got this one in my last game order. I'm eager to give it a whirl - my wife is a fan of co-op games. I may have to sell her on the theme a bit, but so long as it's fun, she should have fun.

Thanks for the very nicely written report. I had to laugh out loud in my office.

Dark.

Received my copy of the game last week, and first launched RN over the weekend.

The first two games were unmitigated disasters (from a survival point of view), but were hilarious to play.

On the opening round of the third game, I think the sub would have actually rolled over as every gnome on board raced to supply room to stock up. Once everyone got their intial stash of tools and grog, we pretty much abandoned the front half of the sub to fires and flooding, and concentrated on keeping the engine room, the reactor, and oxygen pump rooms free (with the occasional foray to the front to stop a missle launch).

Somehow we survived.

Nice Report! I agree tat this should help those deciding to get it or not. You give a good description on different ways it can play out. All the games I have played of RN, you pretty much start out in disaster and end up scrambling to fix things for the rest of the game. Its a game that is action all the way!

Omigosh, this sounds like so much fun! Unfortunately, I'm banned from purchasing any games until after Christmas, so I'm hoping there's space for a submarine under the tree.

This game sounds really good, yet another I may have to pick up!

Agreed with above poster. I have been looking for a co-op game that runs under 2 hrs.

Seems like a really fun game wich i'll probably pick up after christmas if its available...