Resistance: Psychic Powers

By Nameless2all, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Had a player ask me this and I took it at the "KISS" value, but still, figured I'd ask it here.

With the Talent Resistance: Psychic Powers does it work on all powers that require a test to resist, or only the powers that the target gets to test Willpower to resist, and also does it allow a +10 test to Dodge because it does state " avoid" in the description.

Maybe my player was reading to much into it which caused me to doubt myself now. Tear :*(

From reading the talent description I'm going to have to say, yes "Resistance: Psychic Powers" does grant you the +10% to any value to resist any psychic power, including a dodge test as well. Now off the top of my head I can't think of what you can dodge from psychic powers, can you dodge Force Bolt and Force Barrage?

The only power I noticed that states it automatically hits is Divine Shot. I took this as all other powers that are tangible can be dodged, or even parried like Psychic Blade because all that one states is that "it" can't be used to parry (yes, to the argument of my players they obviously didn't like this concept). Am I wrong here? Are all the powers automatic hits after you roll Willpower?

The rules in DH were never clear on this, as can be seen from the many threads discussing this. Ross Watson did chime in at some point, saying that yeas, you can in fact dodge SOME Psychic Powers, IF that power was something that could be seen, and IF your GM said OK.

In Black Crusade this has been clarified, and there you CAN dodge those powers that are classified as a Bolt (with variants Psychic Barrages, Psychic Storms, and Psychic Blasts). It is then listed in the powers description if that power is categorized as such or not.

Nathan "N0-1_H3r3" Dowdell made an unofficial supplement where he converted all the original DH powers to the BC rules, and these include the classifications which tell you if they're dodgeable or not.

Personally I see "Resistance - Psychic Powers" as a mental thing rather than a physical/mystical ability. I would therefore not allow a bonus to dodge, but yes to Int for example as well as WP obviously. But I can see the argument both ways.

If i was running my game i would allow it. As it stands now however my GM thinks its to powerful and im not complaining(im the psyker in the party). As it stands however the ability to spend a fate point to ignore the effect is SUPER powerful.