3 evenings: My painted set!

By SolennelBern, in Mansions of Madness

Hey all! After 3 evenings of painting, here is my painted set!

So, after opening the box and looking at the minis, I got possessed with the urge to paint everything ASAP. So here they are, after 3 full evenings of painting.

-First I primed all the minis with Army Painter "Uniform Grey" primer except for the Zombies I used "Army Green" from the same company.
-Then I decided to use as much of the base color as possible to quicken the painting process. For some minis it was a great idea and for others (Zombies and Cultists) the end result isn't that good. But from a distance everything look good and better than the plain grey.
-I applied my base colors on everything.
-I applied some washes on everything. The washes I used are from Citadel paints: Badab Black, Devlan Mud, Griphonne Sepia and Drakenhof Nightshade.
-Then a quick drybrush using mostly, from Citadel: Bleached Bone, Fortress Grey, Scorpion Green, Catachan Green, Vermin Brown, Ultramarine Blue and Hawk Turquoise depending on the mini.
-Ended putting some minor details like belt buckle with Dwarven Bronze.

So, here they are:

SHOGGOTHS

jgmmc9.jpg

CHTHONIANS AND MANIACS

34znh1x.jpg

HOUNDS OF TINDALOS AND MI-GOS

156s375.jpg

ZOMBIES AND WITCHES

z80x.jpg

CULTISTS AND CULT LEADERS

xlfp11.jpg

THE INVESTIGATORS

244s2nc.jpg

Except for the Cultists and Zombies, the rest i'm satisfied with.

I wanted to paint them quickly, that's what happens :P

Hope you like them!

Bought FA during lunch and painted it this evening! I'm done with painting for a bit now :P

2u5uyo1.jpg

Really cool, they look great! Thanks for sharing them. happy.gif

These were done quickly? Except for the zombies, which aren't horrible, this is some of the best mini painting that I've seen! Also, I think the cultists look fine, but maybe the colors could be more sinister?

GrimJester said:

These were done quickly? Except for the zombies, which aren't horrible, this is some of the best mini painting that I've seen! Also, I think the cultists look fine, but maybe the colors could be more sinister?

Yeah you're right about the Cultists but I was so lazy that I wanted to use as much of the grey primer as possible lol…

But hey, they're still as annoying as the non painted version :P

Oh wow! They are great, and especially impressive due to the speed that they were done in - I am doing well to paint one middling model in three evenings, never mind dozens of wonderful ones!

Bravo, bravo indeed!

David.

I'm also going to paint my miniatures (I'm used to it from games such as Warhammer). Yours are pretty cool. Love the investigators, shoggoths and maniacs. Maybe I would have picked black for the cultists main color but that's a matter of taste. The Hounds of Tindalos and Migos, in my opinion, could have had a little more work into it.

Great job!!!!!

Toturi said:

I'm also going to paint my miniatures (I'm used to it from games such as Warhammer). Yours are pretty cool. Love the investigators, shoggoths and maniacs. Maybe I would have picked black for the cultists main color but that's a matter of taste. The Hounds of Tindalos and Migos, in my opinion, could have had a little more work into it.

Great job!!!!!

You're right but all I wanted was a quick paint job and use as much as the base colors. For the Cultists I should have used black, you're right on that!!

I did the same with my Dust Tactics minis, used as much as the base color I could and work from there. Result on the table is pretty cool!

Really impressive work here. I wish I had the talent to do such a great job on my own. I don't forsee them ever being anything other than grey…lol.

Rackzul said:

Really impressive work here. I wish I had the talent to do such a great job on my own. I don't forsee them ever being anything other than grey…lol.

Doesn't remove anything from the game though so you're good to go! Just add some eye candy :P

Thanks for the comment, appreciated :)

would you ever consider charging for painting other peoples' sets?

Polyhedron said:

would you ever consider charging for painting other peoples' sets?

I would, but living in Quebec, the shipping cost would be somewhat high for a complete MoM set…I could check if you're interested…

Yes, am curious cost, shipping, etc.

I'm still interested if you are.

EM me at [email protected]

Nice Works !! I love your investigators and maniac. Though, I prefer the cult leaders should stand out more by adding more detail on their robes or something.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Great job! Gave me insipration to do the same.

Rackzul said:

Same with me preocupado.gif I wish I could paint that well llorando.gif

Tonyfr said:

Great job! Gave me insipration to do the same.

Was the same here for me too. Excelent work and gave me inspiration and the reference of good work.

Wow guys, thanks a lot!

Nothing that ink can't do ;)

A small question from a complete layman in painting.
How do you make shadows? With thin layers of black ink diluted? Or do you use a darker shade of the paint itself that you are using on the clothing?
I'm using matte acrylic paint. Here in Brazil is difficult to find the spray primer, then had to spend a Shoggoth in three layers before painting. I'll finish with varnish to protect the paint.
Any other tips for a complete beginner?
*Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language sonreir

rubenflh said:

A small question from a complete layman in painting.
How do you make shadows? With thin layers of black ink diluted? Or do you use a darker shade of the paint itself that you are using on the clothing?
I'm using matte acrylic paint. Here in Brazil is difficult to find the spray primer, then had to spend a Shoggoth in three layers before painting. I'll finish with varnish to protect the paint.
Any other tips for a complete beginner?
*Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language sonreir

Your english is great, don't worry!

For the shading I use Washes from the Citadel paints. It comes in many shades but black and dark brown will be enough for everything. I mostly use Devlan Mud (name changed recently in new edition of Citadel paints).

When I paint and want to do a quick but cool job (like my MoM minis) I go like this:

- Apply the base colors on the models. One great trick is the Army Painter color primers. They are great for base colors and apply quickly. But if you don't have access to theres products, simply choose the base colors for the models and apply them. For instance, the Shoggoths. First I primed them army green and painted the other parts I wanted like the white toe nails and bright green eyes on the body.

- Then I applied a Dark brown wash all over the miniature. You simply have to use a larger brush, dip it in the wash and apply it on the mini while making sure the wash get in all the cracks and creases.

- When it's dry, I dry brush for some highlights (dry brush = put paint on a used brush and wipe the brush on a tissue until there's only little paint remaining). For the Shoggoths I dry brushed the body with the same bright green I used for the eyes. This way you add some "lighting" effect on the mini.

- I finish with some details like applying another layer of bright green on the upper parts of the eyes.

My turn to apologize for the probably not too clear explanation on how I paint my models. It's really hard to explain…but I hope it was clear enough to give you an idea.

Post some pics when you've done some models!