Soul Power and 'your next attack'

By vermillian2, in UFS Rules Q & A

So I use Soul Power, and then I go to play an attack. I fail to play that attack (but my turn doesn't end. thank you BRT). I play an attack.

Does Soul Power get applied that that second attack. Note: I NEVER PLAYED the first one.

What is the definition of 'my next attack'. :)

I would assume that the attack was never played and so Soul power wouldnt be applied to the attack that failed.

In other words it would be applied to the first attack that was succesful

An attack isn't considered played until it's successful. So as long as Soul Power says "next attack played" then if you played an attack and failed due to BRT and played another one the second one would get the bonus.

JDub said:

An attack isn't considered played until it's successful. So as long as Soul Power says "next attack played" then if you played an attack and failed due to BRT and played another one the second one would get the bonus.

*Stamp* For JDUB

stamp under those conditions, but it does not say your next attack played.

It says "your next attack..." with no reference to play. Sorry. I thought I'd mentioned that.

So, unstamp, rerule, or are we still good?

An Attack is a Form.

To play an attack as a form usually requires you to "play" the attack. (Noting exceptions like Big Cyclone and Material Advantage)

Until you've passed the check and played all costs... yadda yadda.

So no, no change to the stamp.

I believe you and support this, but I just want you to be clear on the text of Soul Power

"Your opponent may not block your next attack this turn with a card that shares a resource symbol with the chosen one"

No mention of 'form' or anything... So if 'your next attack' is implyin 'play' and not 'attempt to play' or something of that nature... then we're good.

Antigoth said:

An Attack is a Form.

To play an attack as a form usually requires you to "play" the attack. (Noting exceptions like Big Cyclone and Material Advantage)

Incorrect. An Attack is a type of card. You may, however, play an Attack as a Form. Just like a Foundation is not a form but you may play a Foundation as a Form.

Secondly I want to point out that if you block with an Attack card durring your opponents turn, Soul Powers ability will be used up and essentialy wasted. This is because Soul Power does not specify 'the next attack you play on your turn' simply 'your next attack' and at that point your next attack was a block.

BlindProphet said:

Antigoth said:

An Attack is a Form.

Incorrect. An Attack is a type of card. You may, however, play an Attack as a Form. Just like a Foundation is not a form but you may play a Foundation as a Form.

Secondly I want to point out that if you block with an Attack card durring your opponents turn, Soul Powers ability will be used up and essentialy wasted. This is because Soul Power does not specify 'the next attack you play on your turn' simply 'your next attack' and at that point your next attack was a block.

It says "this turn".

www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/SF04/scans/SF04_089_144.jpg

Well... if you Soul Power and somehow get attacked before playing your next attack? ... um... playing something else, checking a 6, and opponent plays that one action card that lets them attack you after a 6 is checked?

anyhow... Still not entirely sure if the question has been asnwered due to Soul Power lacking the "played" words.

Right since Soul Power does not say "next attack played", then the failed attack would be the one effected by it. So your next attack will not have any blocking restricions on it unless you give it some.

Well, the ruling on You Will Not Escape vs. BRT as I recall it was if you're forced to fail the attack, you still satisfied YWNE's restriction, so the game knows you tried to play an attack.

I'd say since Soul Power lacks the word "play", if you try to play an attack and fail it, you will effectively lose Soul Power's effect.

yeah that IS what we were thinking, just wanted to get some consensus on this. Thanks for the reminde of the YWNE ruling! dur. I shoulda remembered that bit.

Just so there's no confusion, I bow to Tag on this one.

The difference with YWNE and SP is that YWNE states that you must "attempt" yadda yadda. the attempt to play an attack, whether it passes or fails, will satisfy it.

SP states your next attack. if the card isn't played, it's not anything that can receive a bonus or change.

i agree with Antigoth's original stamp here - SP affects the next attack to be played.

By soul power is he refering to soul music and the power that it gives you?