Question about the "scouting" rule

By pturb, in Fortress America

Just to clarify my understanding of this rule…

The helicopter "jumps" into a declared territory, just like the old MB edition.

The helicopter is now allowed to move into any adjacent unoccupied enemy territory (but not a city territory) without having to declare anything.

Is this correct?

The scouting helicopter would need to establish a supply line to the the final territory the unit entered IF my understanding of the rule is correct.

This leads to another rather obvious question… the attacker retains control of the territory the helicopter "jumped" into even if he area is left vacant at the end of the scouting move, right?

Thank you.

pturb said:

Just to clarify my understanding of this rule…

The helicopter "jumps" into a declared territory, just like the old MB edition.

The helicopter is now allowed to move into any adjacent unoccupied enemy territory (but not a city territory) without having to declare anything.

Is this correct?

The scouting helicopter would need to establish a supply line to the the final territory the unit entered IF my understanding of the rule is correct.

This leads to another rather obvious question… the attacker retains control of the territory the helicopter "jumped" into even if he area is left vacant at the end of the scouting move, right?

Thank you.

Not quite right. The 'jumping' is the only moving the scouting helicopter can do on its turn. You're moving into an unoccupied, declared enemy territory 2 spaces away to take control of it- no battling or further movement (so you wouldn't be leaving the territory vacant). Any territory you scout must be 'declared' beforehand.

Thank you for the comment.

AND at the end of the turn you still have to have a supply line, so you can't just "scout" behind the enemy with in that same turn creating a supply back to an invasion zone.

Scouting combined with attacking the in-between enemy territory can be a powerful way to increase movement (for example, for the Western Invader).

You can place a Helicopter, Infantry and Mobile unit in a territory. The Helicopter scouts an area 2 places away while the mobile and infantry attack the adjacent territory. In the movement phase after combat, the mobile and infantry move into the adjacent territory and establish the supply line the helicopter needs. Next turn, you can repeat the whole thing and you will end up capturing two territories deep every turn. Those north-central cities can be threatened this way.