Results of the Munich Regional

By mischraum.de, in CoC Organized Play

Right now I have to tease you… since my vacation is over I can't give you all the information at once. It will be at this space soon. Everyone who was participating in the tournament is welcome to add to this thread.

Here comes an overview of the restricted cards that were used. We had 12 participants for our tournament.

5x Khopesh of the Abyss

2x Doppelgänger

1x Descendant of Eibon

1x Nyarlathotep

1x Diseased Sewer Rats

1x Initiate of Huang Hun

1x no restricted card

Here comes the top 4:

Munich Regional Champion: Paul Thorn (Dark Initiate)

Since the French guys started this I gave everyone the option to keep his deck secret after the tournament so that everyone has the same chances at the next tournament. Paul chose his deck to be kept secret.

It might be of some interest that Paul was only at Place 4 after the Swiss Rounds.

2nd Place: Javier Martin (dummiesday)

Javier had won against Paul in the Swiss Rounds but Paul took his revenge in the final nail biting match.

Javier played a combination of Silver Twilight Lodge and Shub. The main theme of his deck was support destruction and character bouncing I would say. His restricted card was the Initiate of Huang Hun

3rd Place: Francesco Zappon (Konx)

Francesco was 1st after the 4 Swiss Rounds being the only one with 4 wins.

He played a combination of Yog, Shub and Cthulhu. With Deep One Rising, Sacrificial Offering and Khopesh he had a fair amount of direct character wounding/destruction in his deck in addition to the indirect destruction of characters that his Yog cards offered. Francesco severely regretted the use of the Khopesh after the tournament, regards this card as crap and blames it for his only loss that day to Javier.

4th Place: Vincent de Wildt (Darkman)

Vincent played a combination of Cthulhu, Yog and Agency. His restricted card was also the Khopesh and in addition to character destruction with Sacrificial Offerings and Shotgun Blast he had also blanking tech with Called by Azathoth and Eliot Ness' Handcuffs.

Since I only made it to the 9th place there is a chance that I missed some important points of the top 4 decks, of course, with my limited knowledge and perception.

mischraum.de said:

3rd Place: Francesco Zappon (Konx)

Francesco was 1st after the 4 Swiss Rounds being the only one with 4 wins.

He played a combination of Yog, Shub and Cthulhu. With Deep One Rising, Sacrificial Offering and Khopesh he had a fair amount of direct character wounding/destruction in his deck in addition to the indirect destruction of characters that his Yog cards offered. Francesco severely regretted the use of the Khopesh after the tournament, regards this card as crap and blames it for his only loss that day to Javier.

Just to be precise :)

My only loss was against Paul, not Javier. I blame my loss mainly to the fact that Paul had a sligthly better deck and, more important, he played it in a very good way, without making any mistake. So, let's give credit to who really deserves it: he won because he was really the best player :)

Then, of course, I blame the stupid Kopesh and my idea of using it :P

Anyway, just as a preliminary info: I will write 2 articles. One about my deck, and one about the regional report. In the first one I will explain the how-why of the deck, in the second there will be the report and my comments about present and future metagame. I don't know yet if I will post them as forum posts or official FFG articles, but they will be available. It will take some time because I'm pretty busy at work right now!

Thanks again to Ulrich for the perfect organization and for being the perfect host (together with his girlfriend) :D

cheers

Francesco

I am surprised that nobody played Negotium. That card should win Khopesh but might lose to some rush decks (but Khopesh should beat almost any rush). I am hoping that there will be tournament "meta" in CoC soon.

In Jenkintown, we see a meta developing (see other topic in this directory). Khopesh beats most other decks. Glimpse/Stone beats Khopesh and most decks except can lose to rush sometimes.

Right now, we see Glimpse/Stone as the most likely to win in head-to-head at the moment.

Awesome, I'm interested in seeing your guys view of the meta. Right now like Professor said Glimpse of the Void is very hard/impossible to beat with a 'normal' deck we are seeing. If we don't meta against it you can't even commit characters to stories.

i may have said this before, but nothing a recursion power drain cant fix, and yog / hastur is very popular at the moment (i have a deck with power drain / speak to the dead / gathering at the stones in it and if your game relies on one card then give it up - it was a toss up between this and an anti khopesh shub / yog deck for my regional). dont see the problem. its cheaper as well. it was only played against 4 other decks, none equipped to handle it. i dont see it taking out a major tournament but i could be wrong as luck certainly plays a part. as for khopesh, its a doddle, with recursion support destructions and a couple of telepathic chthonians. it DOES seem to be all about recursion though so my 'meta' bet is on YOG!! (my first and always favourite) with the draw on the day being the decider. but then again this is about munich…..

P.S. i am in no way dissing the deck, in fact i think its a brilliant idea and applaud its creator, its just not all that and has no back up plan.

COCLCG said:

i may have said this before, but nothing a recursion power drain cant fix, and yog / hastur is very popular at the moment (i have a deck with power drain / speak to the dead / gathering at the stones in it and if your game relies on one card then give it up - it was a toss up between this and an anti khopesh shub / yog deck for my regional). dont see the problem. its cheaper as well. it was only played against 4 other decks, none equipped to handle it. i dont see it taking out a major tournament but i could be wrong as luck certainly plays a part. as for khopesh, its a doddle, with recursion support destructions and a couple of telepathic chthonians. it DOES seem to be all about recursion though so my 'meta' bet is on YOG!! (my first and always favourite) with the draw on the day being the decider. but then again this is about munich…..

P.S. i am in no way dissing the deck, in fact i think its a brilliant idea and applaud its creator, its just not all that and has no back up plan.

Right, I think that is the point, that the meta might be going to some odd recursion territory (that's why I said 'normal' decks, sorry if it wasn't clear). It'll be interesting to see what the Europe folks say!

i'll start a meta topic in the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum because i'm very interested in this too, and wonder what Tom's hastur / yog might reveal in the future. for now, back to you good folks in germany.

There wasn't any Glimpse of the Void deck at the tournament as far as I know.

I myself, played a deck which was playtested in two games, about 30 minutes before the start of the tournament. Originally I had another deck but I changed last minute. I do not believe my results would have been much better with the other deck though.

I did noticed that by lacking some serious playtesting the deck was far from being competitive against the better decks at the tournament.
But I did manage to beat Javier in the Swiss rounds and only loosing against Francesco in the first four matches. That made me second after four rounds. In the semi's I faced Javier again. As the first match was pretty tense, this semi final was not. I did a mulligan and came out worse then my initial hand and was only lucky to let the game last for some extra rounds because I drew all my 3 called to the sea. After playing my third one, there was no further escape and I lost badly. For third place I had to play against Francesco. This match was even shorter and just as during the swiss rounds I got blown away really easily.

My deck idea consisted of playing Khopesh on big characters with lots of toughness. For stalling in early rounds I used cards like Called to the sea, Sacrifical offerings, Dampen light, Shotgun Blast. To play those big characters a bit faster I used also 3 seekers of mysteries and twilight gate.

One of the combo's was to resource my James Logan and get it into play with twilight gate, attaching Khopesh for free and cleaning the board of my opponent. This worked a few times during swiss rounds, but in the later matches my draws were not that fortunate and I also came across some invulnerable characters which could not be destroyed by Khopesh. For this I had Eliot handcuffs and Call to azototh but I was stupid enough to resource those or just not lucky enough to draw them.

After playing 6 games I realised the deck was lacking some destruction and had some cards in it that could easily be left out (never played those, always resourced them). But in general I liked the deck and will go on further finetuning it.