Just finished Scenario 1

By Twilight, in Arkham Horror League

Thanks for the scenario, it was a lot of fun. I think we got kind of lucky. We had a team of 4 and managed to close the 8th gate with one slot left on the doom track. Overall, it was a real challenge. The extra toughness and horror check made even cultists and maniacs a challenge to kill. The theme was great too. The story was a fun tie in to the scenario...

Initially I played Amanda Sharpe, Even though she wasn't in the background story, I always wanted to try her out. Like a good little student, she immediately went looking for money. She got a job at the newspaper, and decided to head back to campus and hunt around for clues. She ran into one of the stranger professors who had her hold this strange item... and all of the sudden... she's Jenny Barnes.

I've never done the character swap before, but I was already having second thoughts about not having Jenny in the game despite her role in the story. If only we could have found a way to pull Joe Diamond into the game as well...

Twilight said:

Thanks for the scenario, it was a lot of fun. I think we got kind of lucky. We had a team of 4 and managed to close the 8th gate with one slot left on the doom track. Overall, it was a real challenge. The extra toughness and horror check made even cultists and maniacs a challenge to kill. The theme was great too. The story was a fun tie in to the scenario...

Initially I played Amanda Sharpe, Even though she wasn't in the background story, I always wanted to try her out. Like a good little student, she immediately went looking for money. She got a job at the newspaper, and decided to head back to campus and hunt around for clues. She ran into one of the stranger professors who had her hold this strange item... and all of the sudden... she's Jenny Barnes.

I've never done the character swap before, but I was already having second thoughts about not having Jenny in the game despite her role in the story. If only we could have found a way to pull Joe Diamond into the game as well...

::Grin:: I'm going to play a team of four, but I'm not telling you which characters I'm picking. I would, if there were still private messages, but there aren't so, sorry ;')

Surprisingly, this was one of our quicker games. We finished in just under 2 hours with our 4 characters. I don't know if that's because without the ability to seal a gate, the doom track fills really rapidly, or if we were just really lucky in our draws and clever in our strategy. I really liked this one. Last league was good, too, but this seemed so rapid paced fresh - I wonder if I really just got tired of my characters by scenario 10 last time.....

SylvanEve said:

Surprisingly, this was one of our quicker games. We finished in just under 2 hours with our 4 characters. I don't know if that's because without the ability to seal a gate, the doom track fills really rapidly, or if we were just really lucky in our draws and clever in our strategy. I really liked this one. Last league was good, too, but this seemed so rapid paced fresh - I wonder if I really just got tired of my characters by scenario 10 last time.....

Were you playing for score though? If you were playing competitively, the game might've stretched out a bit longer (and it would have been considerably more tense).

This may be why we have not reported our score yet. We're thinking of giving a 2 character game a whirl, or even replaying to maximize score this weekend with 4 characters. We also had a rumor that required us to spend a couple of gate trophies...

I think the doom track kind of limits the score somewhat. If there are fewer ways to keep that doom track from creeping higher, there is less time to waste monster hunting and trying to pump up the points. On the positive side, because we were racing the doom track on this one, we never exceeded our monster limit and the terror track never increased. It was a really different game for us.

On Thursday, we ended with one of our higher scores, but were in the dead set middle of the first league, so I don't know how competitive we truly are. We generally win by sealing gates, not killing the AO. Eh. I play because it's fun. It was nice to come in in the middle last league, because we did NOT play to maximize score - we just wanted to get through the scenarios. For some reason, the game mechanics are just complex enough and the game writers are entertaining enough that I am intrigued by the game every time we play. It's fun to play these new scenarios.

SylvanEve said:

This may be why we have not reported our score yet. We're thinking of giving a 2 character game a whirl, or even replaying to maximize score this weekend with 4 characters. We also had a rumor that required us to spend a couple of gate trophies...

I think the doom track kind of limits the score somewhat. If there are fewer ways to keep that doom track from creeping higher, there is less time to waste monster hunting and trying to pump up the points. On the positive side, because we were racing the doom track on this one, we never exceeded our monster limit and the terror track never increased. It was a really different game for us.

On Thursday, we ended with one of our higher scores, but were in the dead set middle of the first league, so I don't know how competitive we truly are. We generally win by sealing gates, not killing the AO. Eh. I play because it's fun. It was nice to come in in the middle last league, because we did NOT play to maximize score - we just wanted to get through the scenarios. For some reason, the game mechanics are just complex enough and the game writers are entertaining enough that I am intrigued by the game every time we play. It's fun to play these new scenarios.

Playing for score in the previous league was dreadful, it was almost as if it were designed to make the game as boring as possible. I think these scenarios are being designed better though (at least the first one is). And I think the changing investigators idea is brilliant also.

So let me throw down the gauntlet. We finished scenario 1 with the terror track at 0. Is that pretty common for this scenario, or do the people of Arkham just really like us, and feel better when we are in town?

Twilight said:

So let me throw down the gauntlet. We finished scenario 1 with the terror track at 0. Is that pretty common for this scenario, or do the people of Arkham just really like us, and feel better when we are in town?

Shouldn't be too rare, as long as you don't draw Family Found Butchered :'D Well, it's nice and late here, just the right time for me to give thsi scenario a shot :'D

Avi_dreader said:

Shouldn't be too rare, as long as you don't draw Family Found Butchered :'D Well, it's nice and late here, just the right time for me to give thsi scenario a shot :'D

That's what happened to us too. Oh, and we also finished the scenario with one doom token slot to spare, due to drawing Stars are Right on the penultimate turn (and geting two doom tokens during one mythos phase)

Avi_dreader said:

Twilight said:

Heh heh.. heh.

I think that was the first headline we drew. Our Terror Track went to 10 in a 2-player version of this scenario.

This scenario was fun, but not nearly as epic as our horrific loss last night during an 8-player Kingsport and selected card expansion game... where ALL THE SCIENTISTS were murdered brutally, and the scientist killed herself doing science, or our second "nauseating" mode game with 6 players (and the same expansions) where Lily Chen ended up the Asian Space Cop of Destiny! (she had both the police cruiser, AND the White ship)... Thankfully we won that one by closing enough gates. It was my first time EVER playing Windsor Horror where we won! (And I have played the game a lot in the last year.) So I was very pleased when we won the scenario today in a 2-player game. I'm also quite excited to submit our full report and our humble score.

Asian Space Cop of Destiny. Nice :')

It's true, though! We were laughing that we turned the horror game into an anime, and then afterwards because Lily had the White Ship, she took us all back to my Dream House in the Dreamlands (since I was playing the Dreamer) to have a party celebrating the sealing of the great evil. XD Yeah, we put all the markers on the Dreamlands in the end, even though there was no need.

Pyromaniacal said:

our second "nauseating" mode game with 6 players (and the same expansions) where Lily Chen ended up the Asian Space Cop of Destiny! (she had both the police cruiser, AND the White ship)...

Oh, did I forget to mention that Lily started with the Elephant Gun and kept it throughout the entire game? Also, early in the game another investigator received the "enchant weapon" spell. We were planning on giving that to Lily for her Elephant Gun. Sadly, the two never met up before the trading of items and spells became banned by the Mythos. So she was a martial artist with an Elephant Gun. Yes, the monks trained her in MANY disciplines INDEED. *nods*