Legions Archetipe

By Lucius Valerius, in Black Crusade House Rules

With the preview of the Thousand Sons Sorcerer from Tome of Fate we now have an idea of how Legion members looks stat wise compared to general Chaos Marines from the core rule. I was wondering if anyone tried to come up with the archetypes for other legions since it will be a long time coming before we have official rules for the others.

Edit: Or for loyalist chapter for that matter…

I could See World Eater Berserkers, Emperor's Children Noise Marines, and Iron Warriors Warsmiths being archtypes. I could possibly see Plague marine and Raptors, but those seem easier to replicate.

As Unholy_Ravager some of the Legions will probably have fairly simple archetypes and most notably the Cult-Legions. But if I would write it up I would do it something like this to symbolize their most iconic members and themes, some of these are homemade when there wasn't anything really fitting:

Black Legion - Ravager (focused on fighting in general as well as leadership and tactics)

Word Bearers - Dark Apostle (focused on Fel and such based skills and talents)

Iron Warriors - Warsmith (same stuff as a heretek already does, more or less)

Alpha Legion - Infiltrator (all manner of stealthy stuff)

Night Lords - Night Horror (Intimidation and special talents for psychological warfare)

World Eaters - Berzerker (melee for the win)

Emperor's Children - Noise Marine (focused on Ag and a wide range of different skills and talents)

Thousand Sons - Sorcerer (already done)

Death Guard - Plague Marine (focused on T and with some very special talents)

Gurkhal said:

As Unholy_Ravager some of the Legions will probably have fairly simple archetypes and most notably the Cult-Legions. But if I would write it up I would do it something like this to symbolize their most iconic members and themes, some of these are homemade when there wasn't anything really fitting:

Black Legion - Ravager (focused on fighting in general as well as leadership and tactics)

Word Bearers - Dark Apostle (focused on Fel and such based skills and talents)

Iron Warriors - Warsmith (same stuff as a heretek already does, more or less)

Alpha Legion - Infiltrator (all manner of stealthy stuff)

Night Lords - Night Horror (Intimidation and special talents for psychological warfare)

World Eaters - Berzerker (melee for the win)

Emperor's Children - Noise Marine (focused on Ag and a wide range of different skills and talents)

Thousand Sons - Sorcerer (already done)

Death Guard - Plague Marine (focused on T and with some very special talents)

The Dark Apostle and Plague Marine sound incredible.

I can see the Warsmith or the Plague Marine, but what does a Dark Apostle have that can't be done with the current Champion archetype?

Same could be said for thousand sons and somehow we ave an "upgraded" sorcerer. Which is kinds sad. And if you look at this guy www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/black-crusade/collectors-edition/bc_preview.pdf who is supposted to also be from the thousand sons, it becomes strange.
They really need to work on some new special abilities for the legions or they won't be distinguishable at all.

I really hate the TSS archetype from Tome of Fate. It's nothing more than "CSM Sorcerer, but better", and it doesn't address the real unique ability of the Thousand Sons - the fact that they don't mutate.

Mutations can play preety big part in BC, meaby that's why lack of those wasn't put into this archeotype, but it could be done diffrently. Meaby instead of mutations you can get some new abilities (for example get UW+2 at 30cp instaed of the beggining of the game). Then similar system could be used on some other archeotypes (obliterators?)

But it seems that ffg doesn't want to make any changes to their system, where anyone can be anything (already not true because only hereteks can get some cybernetics). The idea of classlessness is a good one but if there were some things restricted for chosen archeotypes, it could make the game more unique.

I really like the "classless" approach of BC (quote-unquote because it's not entirely freeform, but I think it does a good job of compromising between creating distinct characters fit for specific roles and letting you customize your build however you like).

I really don't like the idea of future supplements wasting space on turning every distinct TT miniature into it's own Archetype. Especially if it involves power creep, as is the case with the TS Sorcerer. And even more if it ***** existing fluff for the sake of making it compatible with the game's assumptions - either it's fine to have non-mutating sorcerers in BC, or you don't introduce a Thousand Sons as a distinct playable option.

It's not like it was impossible to represent the Rubric in the rules without changing the focus of the game. There are many Mutations and Gifts that don't alter one's physical form, all it took was devise a special rule that let TS choose from these to the exclusion of the rest, either as an absolute effect, or as an increased chance of not mutating physically (say, an extra reroll if you landed on a result where you cannot choose any mutation that wouldn't alter your form, or roll Willpower to jump to the nearest one that fits the bill).

I've started work on a Night Lord pdf that will give how I think they act.

I've posted it on this forum.

I must say that I like your Night Lords more than I like TSS. It is a step in good direction.

ShadowRay said:

I must say that I like your Night Lords more than I like TSS. It is a step in good direction.

Many Thanks.

EDITED

Please remove

Can anyone explain whether the Thousand Sons preview archetype is meant for play from game start or is it some kind of "advanced" career? It just seems… better?

Kajata said:

Can anyone explain whether the Thousand Sons preview archetype is meant for play from game start or is it some kind of "advanced" career? It just seems… better?

Advanced. There is one more CSM advanced career and 2 Human Careers to accompany it. They're listed as starting well above the normal start point.

Has anyone heard when the tome for Nurgle comes out?