Campaigns and other extras

By pelican, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

I've seen various discussions about which units are worth buying but not much about the campaigns, are they worth getting and what are people's thoughts on the tile set?

Well, there are three things to consider when contemplating a Campaign Expansion: the heroes, the scenarios, and the extras.

Cyclone:

- Heroes: Rosie and Manfred. Terribly useful heroes that see a lot of use. Rosie became exponentially valuable with the arrival of the heavy walkers, being able to fully recover them after taking 9 hits. Her bazooka paired with a spotter is also a great threat to any medium walker. Manfred is a competent companion to just about any A2 squad, with an extra health, Assault and unlimited panzerfausts.

- Scenarios: There are some great scenarios here. Storming the beach is a classic, and the submarine missions are a lot of fun. Some of the "get here and win" scenarios are a bit broken with the new faster units and such, but still playable.

- Extras: Tank traps and crates (can never have too many of those, or maybe not). The landing craft and submarine tiles are cool, but have very limited replayability. I wish further campaigns continued to make use of these things…

SeeLowe:

- Heroes: Ozz 117 and Markus. Practically indispensable. Axis Gorillas NEED Markus to really be of any use, and with him they become a very effective unit that changes how the axis operates. Ozz brings great survivability to any squad he joins with his Heroic Attack, allowing the Hammers to punch dangerous foes without retaliation.

- Scenarios: Love most of these scenarios. They are very varied, and with a good range of AP.

- Extras: More ammo crates and tank traps (ok, by now you have enough). I love the building tiles. They offer a lot of strategical options and make a tighter kind of combat possible. However, there's a question of whether or not they became obsolete with the arrival of the 3D buildings. Well, unfortunately, you can't really make floor plans as intricate as these with the 3D buildings… You also get smoke tiles, which come in handy for the heavy command squads.

Cerberus:

- Heroes: Angela and Chef. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play with them yet, but they seem very cool. Angela specially offers a very unique offensive opportunity.

- Scenarios: Very varied scenarios, though many are pretty unbalanced. A couple of scenarios require a really huge table, so that's a bit of a problem.

- Extras: 3 storey building. The building looks good, though it does have serious issues. It's very hard to move the figures around inside, specially when you have 3 floors. Also, the system used doesn't allow for a lot of freedom when creating different shapes to the buildings.

Zverograd:

No idea

Wow, thanks for such a detailed reply, given me lots to think about

Yes, get them all. The scenarios make for good varied play, plus you get a load of extra tiles such as landing craft, submarine, bridges and buildings and of course all the characters.

And with all those ammo crates you don't really need you can make one of these:

AmmoDump2.jpg

Now what do I do with all those leftover tank traps?…

On the other hand from my experience I would suggest after core set (old/new) buy some extra boxes lie artillery. command squads, observers, zombies+axis heroes for axis and grim reapers, tank busters, nco command squad for allied and then pick up one of the expansions to have some extra tiles plus heroes.

Oh yes, I wouldn't recommend buying any of the campaigns without buying some extra unit boxes first.

After seeing the 3D buldings and Cerberus campaign i'm thinking about skipping this one, only getting heroes. Crappy plastic walls don't ring my bell ;)

The building is a bit annoying but the Tactical options it and the campaign book introduce are nice.

Yeah, the building is a lot of fun, actually, and looks quite nice, and really adds even more of a 3-D feel to your game. The tiles it comes with are too short though, and it's really fiddly to reach inside and use if you're using all 3 stories.

They definitely didn't build it in the most customizable way, but with a little figuring out, you can usually make the type of building you want. I used the Cerberus pieces to have 3-D buildings for the Revised Core Set campaign and it worked out pretty well.

I don't see how you can build both revised set buildings at the same time with just one Cerberus kit. You'd need twice the number of support walls to do it porperly (which is why I'm buying an extra Cerberus). And I think it's a pity that the 3D building doesn't really support hangars and internal walls.

But I do like the varied gameplay it offers, and it looks great on the table. Goes very well with my 3D terrain pieces.

156200_2907868395658_507554559_n.jpg

I didn't really have much trouble building it. The square building was a little big (maybe overlapped adjacent tiles by 2/3rds of an inch) and for the smaller building, I couldn't build it properly and have a door, so it only had windows, but otherwise it was fine, and much nicer than just using the maps. Had several pieces left afterwards. I'm not sure how having another Cerberus set would have helped me at all.

Loophole Master said:

Cerberus:

- Heroes: Angela and Chef. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play with them yet, but they seem very cool. Angela specially offers a very unique offensive opportunity.

- Scenarios: Very varied scenarios, though many are pretty unbalanced. A couple of scenarios require a really huge table, so that's a bit of a problem.

- Extras: 3 storey building. The building looks good, though it does have serious issues. It's very hard to move the figures around inside, specially when you have 3 floors. Also, the system used doesn't allow for a lot of freedom when creating different shapes to the buildings.

Angela is ugly on a stick. I had her with a sniper squad and got seven hits just with her!!!! Of course my wife managed to make all seven soft cover saves…AARRGGHH!!!! Unless I'm mistaken she also gets frenzy on her CC attacks as well.

The Chef is just as ugly. My wife put her in with the Hell Boys and hit me with 4 flamethrower attacks. So much for hiding in the safety of the building….

Yeah, Frenzy works for her CC attacks as well. She's one feisty kitten.

and having a spotter means those CC attack hit on blanks as well. IIRC