Inconsistencies between cards and instructions (3rd edition)

By harly, in Mag Blast

Hey everyone,

I play and love MagBlast for quite some time now. We started playing with the second edition and picked up the third edition as soon as it became available and played it a lot over the last years.

Last night however we ran into an inconsistency on some cards and the instructions. Basically it boils down to the question "ship", "fleet ship" and "command ship" what is what and which of those can be targeted.

Here is what happened:

The Race: "The brotherhood of Peace" has the special ability: "Three times per game during your Discard phase, you may transfer a BLAST from one of your fleet ships to an opponent's fleet ship.

Naturally I told my opponent she can't take the blast off her "command ship" and distribute it, because the card says "fleet ship". She then argued, that the fighter/bomber action card also says: "play on a fleet ship" but can be played on a "command ship". I was surprised to read that the fighter in her hand actually read "fleet ship". A quick look into the instructions however explains in detail how and when a fighter/bomber is able to attack a "command ship".

Now either the fighter/bomber cannot attack "command ships" and all rules are kept consistent for "fleet ships" being the ships around the "command ship" and "ships" being "command ships" and "fleet ships" (actually stated like this on the first page of the instructions) or the examples for fighters/bombers in the instructions are correct and "command ships" count as "fleet ships", therefore destroying all my MagBlast beliefs :)

Any Ideas on that particular problem? - Misprint? - Did I play the game wrong all these years? - Did I overlook something?

btw: for the 4th edition which I am desperately waiting for, the race "Recyclons v4OK" needs to be weakened we always take them out in multiplayer because they result into card dominance of one player.

I'm pretty sure the rules are correct. The instructions on the card are not the complete rules for fighters, and the rulebook very specifically describes the scenario where you can attack command ships.

This is probably a mistake. But it could also be that they wanted to be clear that you cannot completely bypass the fleet ships and attack the command ship without an open zone.