Are Exhibit item considered unique item?

By thevampyresade, in Reference Materials

For the sake of cards like the Back injury where you can only carry 3 item (any combination of common and unique) are exhibit item are considered being unique item?

Same thing for the Dunwich task (I do not remember the name) where u need to sacrifice 4 unique item, could those be exhibit item?

If you put your question in the general forum, you'll have more visibility i think.

In my point of view, the Exhibit item have to be counted in the limit of 3 items, but can't be discarder for the task because they aren't unique items.

So, yes and no to your question. To be confirmed by someone better than I am with the rules ;)

Thank you very much for your answer.

That's a tricky question.

Technically, Dunwich was out after the Dark Pharoah was published, so they should have considered your issue. Practically, often FFG have proven they didn't care too much about expansions interaction (until Miskatonic was out). Nonetheless, I'd play it as it's written, so your Exhibit are immune from the effects of Back Injury, but you cannot discard them to complete the Dunwich mission you mentioned

So, we agreed regarding the discarding an "unique item", but you think an exhibit item can't be consider as an item regarding the back injury ?

Mmmm… Okay, I went reading the card. I thought it said 3 items… But it says any combination of Common and Unique… So I think you're right. But I also think, that it should be considered in the limit :)

A post in the main forum would have attracted Tibs attention and surely a more definitive answer ;)

Hugues said:

A post in the main forum would have attracted Tibs attention and surely a more definitive answer ;)

Yeah, that's very true. My point is that some "items" are not considered items for purposes of discarding when driven insane / knocked unconscious. For example, the Patrol Wagon and the deputy revolver do not count as "items". But the common items counterpart (sedanette, for example, and the derringer) do count, being common items.

Thus, the sedanette do count against the number of items allowed by a Back Injury, but the Patrol Wagon don't (and I guess your back is still aching regardless of what you're driving). The Dark Pharoah said that for purposes of drawing Exhibit items, you're allowed to every time you're instructed to draw a Unique Item. But that's the only thing they have in common. So, I'd play this literally.

As far as I remember, this was never clarified. But I'd love to know Tibs' opinion as well

Julia said:

Hugues said:

Yeah, that's very true. My point is that some "items" are not considered items for purposes of discarding when driven insane / knocked unconscious. For example, the Patrol Wagon and the deputy revolver do not count as "items". But the common items counterpart (sedanette, for example, and the derringer) do count, being common items.

Acutally, I think the deputy revolver is consider an item when you count the number of item you have in order to lose half of them. However, you can chose not to lose it. Espcially if it's your last item.

thevampyresade said:

Julia said:

Hugues said:

Acutally, I think the deputy revolver is consider an item when you count the number of item you have in order to lose half of them. However, you can chose not to lose it. Espcially if it's your last item.

Yes, sure, my bad, as per core rules, the Deputy revolver is considered an item for discarding purposes

thevampyresade said:

Julia said:

That's not unique to the deputy's revolver, though. You always choose which items you lose, and if you only have one item you lose none.

parkrrrr said:

That's not unique to the deputy's revolver, though. You always choose which items you lose, and if you only have one item you lose none.

Sadly, this is not correct. Even if rules suggest this, it was said in the main forum (Tibs) that the coming FAQ will fix this: if you have only one item when you go insane / unconscious, you lose it

The rules don't just suggest it; they outright state "half, rounded down." Is this some sort of new math?

parkrrrr said:

The rules don't just suggest it; they outright state "half, rounded down." Is this some sort of new math?

As said, Tibs said this is to be changed in the FAQ to avoid people exploiting the "I have only one item, let's try to kill that dam(n) Star Spawn"

Julia said:

parkrrrr said:

As said, Tibs said this is to be changed in the FAQ to avoid people exploiting the "I have only one item, let's try to kill that dam(n) Star Spawn"

I'm convinced that the FAQ is an elaborate practical joke. I mean, I've been convinced of that for a long time, what with the continuing insistence that it'll be published someday in the face of years of evidence to the contrary, but now I'm even more convinced.

This is the sort of thing that goes in an erratum, not in a FAQ. FAQs are for rules clarifications, not changes to existing, well-specified rules.