Who else is playing their old Netrunner to get ready?

By dboeren1, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Last night I brought my old Netrunner cards off the shelf for the first time in around 5 years and took them to the LGS. I figured that many people had probably been reading the news and would be interested in checking it out.

It worked. I got in two games and various other players stopped by to watch or ask questions about the game, allowing us to give our spiel about the game. We went onto a website and downloaded some actual starter deck listings to construct some "real" starter decks, minus 1-2 cards I didn't have so we tried to substitute something pretty close.

I played the Runner side in both games. The first was against someone who'd played before and it showed, he had a fairly good idea what to do from the start. I drew a resource card (some sort of Fixer) that allowed me to draw 2/keep 1 whenever I drew a card, this helped a lot to get the programs I needed. It was a tense game, but eventually I liberated the last agenda I needed to win 7-5.

In the second game, I was teaching a new player. He had a little more trouble which turned out to be to some mistakes about money - on both sides. On his end, he forgot from the rules overview that you could use an action to take a bit - so he was very poor for a while until we figured this out. This was causing him to spend too many actions drawing cards and discarding. On my side, I misread the Broker card and missed the part that you can only use it once per turn, which led to me having too much money until we caught it. Not sure how to fix it, I threw out all my cash and Broker and we went on from there. It was just a teaching game after all. Anyway, it ended in another win for the Runner but mainly it was just a teaching game. My opponent liked it and is interested in checking out the new game when it releases.

I plan to work on making up a couple more "starter" decks if I have time and will bring these to the store when I go again tomorrow night.

I feell like I've gotten into Netrunner at a good time as we only got into it 2-3 months ago via VASSAL; enough time to learn the rules, muck about a bit with deck building and then this news come about with the game still fresh in our heads.

Admittedly it was only one friend playing with me at the time, but others have at least overheard us talking about the game prior and have since expressed interest in playing a physical copy as a result.

In the great "gaming card purge" I recently went through, one of the few sets of cards I kept were my original Netrunner cards. I don't have as many as I'd like, and I now live far from any of my old friends that I used to play with, but I'll not only pick up the new LCG, in hopes I can convince some of my newer friends to try it, but I'm probably going to hold on to my old cards untill they fall apart from age.

VASSAL looks interesting. If anyone is interested in teaching me how to use it, in order to play some NR, send me a message or find me on skype.

I thought about breaking out the old Netrunner cards, but I was too concerned that I would either sour myself before the new game came out (not likely), or play it, and then find myself being overly critical of the new game, which I'm very excited about.

Waiting sucks, but given that there are plenty of good LCGs to play in the meantime, I don't mind.

Taking up the point made by Asmoridin, I believe there are 3 types of players out there. Those that know and liked the old game, those that know and dislike the old game, and those that don't know the game at all. The first will be critical of the new version and it will depend a lot on how much and what FFG change. Personally I am hoping for little change, but some of the printing on the old cards was very tiny. The second probably wont be interested anyway, but might peek to see if FFG changed what they disliked. For the third, assumming the games will be similar, I think it is good to get a 'feel' of a game before investing money in it.

Consequently, getting out my old decks has been good for others who have never played before. The interest at my gameing club has been at a frenzy and probably 90% feedback has been positive. I have played a lot of old Netrunner lately since the announcement of the new version, and have enjoyed the experience. Asmoridin is right though, I will be super critical of the new version for this reason, but can't wait to see what it is like. I only have 2 Corps and 2 Runner decks, with very few extras for changes. The cards are well known and well worn, but every game is still different and great fun. Cheers!

I had the idea to do just that, when I saw that NR is coming back. However I only ever purchased one starter, and now I can't find it. I know I have seen it recently, but for the life of me I cannot remember where.

Of course i play my NR ccg cards to get ready, in fact i have never stopped to play it with many friends in Paris since 1999

Just wondering, where did you download your cards? I haven't played the original and I have really been wanting to get the hang of how the game plays and learn some strategy before I buy this version later in the year.

If anyone is looking to ****** up an old collection, I have about 1600-2000 cards spanning both sets plus a started deck with rules. Hit me up on boardgamegeek.com. I am BranWheat on the site. I would much prefer to sell than trade unless you are going to part with an equal valued Magic collection.

Strykus said:

Just wondering, where did you download your cards? I haven't played the original and I have really been wanting to get the hang of how the game plays and learn some strategy before I buy this version later in the year.

www.netrunneronline.com

or run NroHub.blogspot ( but there is mainly Virtual expansion there at that time)

Two more games tonight - I won as the Runner but lost as the Corp. I won't be able to play much for a while so I loaned my cards out to one of the other guys so they can keep playing in my absence.

I wonder if Wizards of the Coast are now regretting giving up on Netrunner? Still, they probably made a bit on selling the rights to FFG. Cheers!

Rashley said:

I wonder if Wizards of the Coast are now regretting giving up on Netrunner? Still, they probably made a bit on selling the rights to FFG.

There are still WotC copyright mark on the cards preview cards, so FFG probably just licensed Netrunner for their use.