Changes

By vermillian2, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

I wonder what rules and card changes there will be. Some of the previous card's were a bit unbalanced (not many) so this will be a welcome update.

HOORAY!!!

Having the unbalanced cards return wouldn't be too big an issue itself, since I trust FFG will do a good job making sure cards exist in the meta to help re-balance them. :)

In the original game there were a few cards that were always great to get, but I house ruled and built decks with a limit of 1 of each card. This stopped the chance of packing decks with these. Hopefully FFG will limit the use of certain cards as this leads to more skill in deciding exactly how to use a good card knowing you only had it once. Cards like those that allow a player to search their deck for any card, give large boosts to 'bits' - the resource used to pay for things - or return used cards, are the main strong cards. Most of these favour the 'Runner' player, so if that player can easily find any 'Icebreaker' at any time, and have the 'bits' to pay for them, the Corporation player has no hope.

My old decks with no duplication still give exciting close fought contests where cardplay skill and good bluffing mainly win the day. A large variety of cards always leads to a variety of strategies. Stacking decks with 'killer' cards leads to one strategy based on who got what first. All in all, apart from the card limit stated above, there is very little I would change from the original. It just needed a new lease of life. Cheers!

Rashley said:

In the original game there were a few cards that were always great to get, but I house ruled and built decks with a limit of 1 of each card.

Anyway, I think it's likely they'll be using the limit of three copies of any single card that they use in every other LCG.

If I understand correctly, in the original game, one player had to be the Corp and the other player had to be the Runner. You couldn't have a Corp against Corp or a Runner against Runner game. In the game description it says that the game mechanics were updated "to increase clarity and promote a more dynamic play environment". I'm kind of hoping that "dynamic play environment" means that the game will no longer restrict what kind of decks I can play. If not then that really drains a lot of my interest in this game, to be honest.

It isn't possible to allow Corp vs. Corp or Runner vs. Runner without changing the game so much that it's no longer recognizable as the same game.

Trust me on this one, it ain't gonna happen.

I'd like to know the card sizes. Are they the same size as the old cards? If so, all us old timers can sleeve our old cards and add them into the box. If not, and they are larger, I guess we'll have to sleeve some other cards and then add the old card onto the top.

Jake yet again said:

I'd like to know the card sizes. Are they the same size as the old cards? If so, all us old timers can sleeve our old cards and add them into the box. If not, and they are larger, I guess we'll have to sleeve some other cards and then add the old card onto the top.

Card size is same as other LCG. I would be very surprised if that is not the case. LCG cards are same size as old Netrunner cards. Thickness can change a little (CoC core set cards are not very thick for example). But I think old and new Netrunner might not mix very well and I would like to play just with new Netrunner cards.

dboeren said:

It isn't possible to allow Corp vs. Corp or Runner vs. Runner without changing the game so much that it's no longer recognizable as the same game.

KEM said:

Ah well, one less game to keep track of. I'll probably poke my head in occasionally to see what they mean by a more dynamic play environment, but if the game is going to tell what decks to play that is not nearly 'dynamic' enough an environment for me.

It doesn't hand you a pre-made deck and say "here, you have to use this". You still get to build your deck as in any CCG/LCG. It sounds like you've never played Netrunner, is that correct? If so, I suggest that you should try it sometime to get a better idea how the game works. Maybe you still won't like it, but it's much better to make that decision with firsthand information.

dboeren said:

KEM said:

Ah well, one less game to keep track of. I'll probably poke my head in occasionally to see what they mean by a more dynamic play environment, but if the game is going to tell what decks to play that is not nearly 'dynamic' enough an environment for me.

It doesn't hand you a pre-made deck and say "here, you have to use this". You still get to build your deck as in any CCG/LCG. It sounds like you've never played Netrunner, is that correct? If so, I suggest that you should try it sometime to get a better idea how the game works. Maybe you still won't like it, but it's much better to make that decision with firsthand information.

Kinda hard to try it since it is not out yet. But I agree you should try it when it is released before passing judgement on the game.

KEM said:

dboeren said:

To echo what dboeren is saying, the corp vs runner aspect isn't a limiting restriction- it's a fundamental aspect of the game. I'd hardly fault the game for being designed in this fashion. It'd be like faulting Android in that you are "limited" to only playing as homicide investigators… Given the whole premise of a hacker (runner) stealing data that exposes a corporations shady agendas, I don't know what can be gained from breaking this mould.

Corp and Runner decks play very differently, and the different deck strategies available offer a wide amount of choice when deck building. There isn't a full picture of the features Android: Netrunner will hold, so hopefully this should allay initial concerns about this game.

I think FFG announcement didn't make this clear enough for players who don't know Netrunner. Usually (tournaments) both players have a Runner deck and a Corp deck. Games are Runner vs Corp. There is two games where each players play their other deck first and other deck second. Results of these both games are added together to determine the winner. Also those two sides play very different.

Toqtamish said:

Kinda hard to try it since it is not out yet. But I agree you should try it when it is released before passing judgement on the game.

Well, you can either try it when it comes out, or try the original Netrunner. Either one should give you perspective on what sort of game it is.

And yes, being "limited" to playing the Corp or the Runner is not a limit, it's what the game is about. Does anyone complain that they can't play as an alchemist in an FPS videogame? You cannot, because the game is primarily about shooting people, not mixing and selling potions. That might be a good subject for a separate game but it's not part of this one.

why would corp vs runner be a problem? It is one of the best thigns about netrunner.. I do nt get why this is a bad thing

I just want to say, I appreciate all of the responses. Obviously I haven't given up on the game entirely since I came back here, although part of that is that I just don't like to 'drop bombs' in a message board and leave. :)

I should say that no, I have never played Netrunner before. I remember it from back in the day, but I was too busy playing Shadowrun back then.

booored said:

why would corp vs runner be a problem? It is one of the best thigns about netrunner.. I do nt get why this is a bad thing

Technically I don't think it's a bad thing, per se. I just think it's limiting. It you like it, that's great. I would just prefer to see more.

To also quote Treguard:

To echo what dboeren is saying, the corp vs runner aspect isn't a limiting restriction- it's a fundamental aspect of the game. I'd hardly fault the game for being designed in this fashion. It'd be like faulting Android in that you are "limited" to only playing as homicide investigators… Given the whole premise of a hacker (runner) stealing data that exposes a corporations shady agendas, I don't know what can be gained from breaking this mould.

It's a fundamental aspect of the game that limits it. It focuses the game solely and exclusively on one small aspect of the universe (Runner vs Corp), while ignoring all the other potential conflicts (Corp vs. Corp espionage, Runner vs. Runner battles).

I don't think at the end of the day your comparison to the Android board game really fits as the limitations of Android has more to do with it being a board game than anything else. One of the points of LCG/CCG is that it offers the chance to approach the game how want to, to make a deck that fits your play style. Mandating that my deck choices are limited to the opposite of whatever my opponent is playing is a far more limiting factor on the format than being forced to choose one of the pre-made characters in a board game.

Now if you like the focus that this limitation gives the game, that's great. For you it might even make it a better game than it otherwise might be. But you can't reasonably suggest that it is not a limitation. At the end of the day that limitation is going to be an issue for some people. That's really all I'm saying. I'm not even saying that this limitation/focus makes Netrunner a bad game, it just makes it a game that doesn't capture my interest.

KEM said:

It's a fundamental aspect of the game that limits it. It focuses the game solely and exclusively on one small aspect of the universe (Runner vs Corp), while ignoring all the other potential conflicts (Corp vs. Corp espionage, Runner vs. Runner battles).

I don't think at the end of the day your comparison to the Android board game really fits as the limitations of Android has more to do with it being a board game than anything else. One of the points of LCG/CCG is that it offers the chance to approach the game how want to, to make a deck that fits your play style. Mandating that my deck choices are limited to the opposite of whatever my opponent is playing is a far more limiting factor on the format than being forced to choose one of the pre-made characters in a board game.

Now if you like the focus that this limitation gives the game, that's great. For you it might even make it a better game than it otherwise might be. But you can't reasonably suggest that it is not a limitation. At the end of the day that limitation is going to be an issue for some people. That's really all I'm saying. I'm not even saying that this limitation/focus makes Netrunner a bad game, it just makes it a game that doesn't capture my interest.

For what it's worth, Corp vs Corp action is covered in the Agendas that the Corp players manages to secure, such as hostile takeovers, executive extractions, even full out corporate wars. Whilst you may not be directly affecting a rival Corp, the Agendas you build your deck around shape the "theme" of your Corp- to what end will you secure the future of your business, and to what lengths are you willing to succeed?

A more "direct approach" involved a 2v2 team variant, pitting Corp vs Corp, each with a Runner at their disposal, but I digress.

So the game will always be Runner vs Corp, but what does that actually mean? For the Corp, does this mean trying to secure quick advances for cheap Agendas, allowing a snowball effect? Do they go for big ICE and secure the heavy costing agendas for riskier, but more rewarding, play? Does he simply aim to flatline any weefle nooby enough to test his defences?

The Runner has just as many options, but also has the additional threat of needing to have the right tools to counter the Corp's machinations. All the icebreakers in the world won't save you when a schlaghund is tracing your genetic signal…

I honestly don't see why you're referring to fundamental facets of the game as limitations; they just are what they are, hard-bound by rules and design. Football, for example, will always be two teams and not a free-for-all kickabout.

Just something to note, please don't take this a flat out assault on your opinion ("netrunner is teh best and u r wrong and dum") as I don't think anyone here has been trying to force you to change your mind about getting this game- it's more the dismissal of the game, (or potentially any game for that matter) for the reasons described that is being challenged.

KEM I can't express strongly enough that your concept of the game is off. You don't choose one or the other, at least not really, you play both sides. At least in normal play each player brings a Corp deck and a Runner deck and you battle it out with the winner being whomever collected the most points between the two games.

In many ways this really does sort of mimic the idea of corporations working with, hiring, or just, misleading runners to attack their business rivals as well as runners competing against each other (Hackers style) for the biggest and best hack against a corporate target assigned to them by the other runner.

You are correct, the corporations do not directly square off against each other, but part of that is because in Android and Cyberpunk 2020 these corporations put our own multi-nationals to utter shame. They have profits several times the size of GDP of first world nations. They aren't too big to fail, they are the power behind the thrones of many different governments. Direct conflict between the corporations would be like open warfare between the US and China. The entire world would feel its effects in the most negative sort of way.

So yes, it is limiting from a game perspective, from a thematic perspective it would not make any sense. If it doesn't work for you that is okay and understandable.

If you really wanted to you could play both games concurrently, if that help you imagine better that the corps are sending covert runners against each other. For most of us, it's easier to concentrate on playing one game and then the other.

And again, as everyone keeps pointing out, something isn't really a limit just because it's not part of the game concept. Whatever games you like have just as many restrictions, you just don't think about them because you're used to them being there. This game has different restrictions. Some of them are ones you're not accustomed to and those stand out to you, some of the restrictions from your old game are no longer there and you may not even notice because you're used to looking right past them.

Random interjection:

DB, I lost your email in a system reinstall, not sure you're still active over with SG, and they don't have PMs here. Hopefully you've still got my email, so email me, I've got an idea :)

And on the topic at hand:

Sure, you're limited because you can only play Corp v. Runner. You can't play Corp v. Corp. You also can't play Corp v. Government, or Homeless Guy v. Homeless Guy. The game focuses on what it focuses on, and doing so creates a truly unique level of asymmetric game play. You really can't do that if you added more elements and let them all go after each other - including Corp, Runner, and Homeless Guy would have nine distinct gameplay structures. That's not really realistic to expect from the game design.

I do think it's rather an odd complaint, though. The two unique playstyles of Netrunner may be locked into facing each other, but that's still one more playstyle than most CCGs give you, where everyone works from the same rules, same card pool, etc.

The runner is probably working for another corporation which pays for the stolen information. There you have tou corp vs corp. Also, there is a 4 player variation where runner and corp are paired against another couple of runner plus corp. Sounds fun.

I find it interesting to think about what would be required to make Runner vs Runner or Corp vs Corp work. It would definitely be more intrusive than I'd like to see out of a reboot….it would be more like an entirely new Netrunner-inspired game….

I'm assuming that the goal of allowing mirror matchups would be to let a player build a single deck (maybe because they prefer one side or the other) and play it against any opponent they came across. (The "bring two decks to a tournament" thing always kind of threw me, but I never actually went to any tournaments.)

The core mechanic of the game is runs, where the Runner uses icebreakers to get through waves of ice installed by the Corp. The easiest way to implement Corp vs Corp would be as two non-interactive agenda point races (the honor vs honor matchup in L5R often turned into something like this, depending on edition), but that's far from ideal--aside from being non-interactive, it doesn't help Runner vs Runner, speed-based Corp decks would almost automatically win, and if any of the matchups don't actually involve running then all the ice or icebreakers in your deck are dead cards in the matchup.

If you want to keep running involved, then you'd have to let the Corp play icebreakers and the Runner play ice. This feels somewhat clean, because together those mean that the Corp's icebreakers and the Runner's ice may not be dead cards in the non-mirror matchups, but it's only the start…

Just giving the Corp icebreakers already has some other impacts on reducing the asymmetry, because one of the main reasons the "three types of ice" system works is that the Runner has lots of deck search, which is something the Corp never has access to. Maybe you give the Corp some program-only search? Then you have to deal with what the rewards are for the new mirror-match runs.

The benefit for Corps successfully running on each other could be pretty straightforward…it would be easy to let the Corp pay bits to trash cards and steal agendas just like the Runner. I don't think the balance would work out between stealing and advancing agendas, but you could implement a point penalty or a cost or something if necessary. Suitable rewards for successfully running on a Runner are less obvious. Give them tags? Trash programs? Deal net damage? Except for the net damage, none of those advance victory conditions, and dealing net damage still wouldn't make you win unless you were dealing it faster than they could redraw cards (or if you go until you mill them out, I guess).

The best way to deal with that would seem to be to consolidate the sides further and give the Runner the ability to install and advance agendas. At that point, it seems like you could just go all the way and get rid of any distinction….both sides can play all cards (save for identity restrictions), Corp and Runner both discard cards when they take damage and can lose to over-damage (so Tag & Bag survives in this format), both sides can install and advance cards in data forts, programs get new trash costs….Thematically it would be difficult to explain how the one hit-man does the same damage to a lone hacker and a multinational corporation, but with the asymmetry gone you might as well just call both sides individual hackers and the Corp runner just has a backer.

I think that might be an interesting game to play, but it's not really Netrunner without the asymmetrical sides. You could maybe maintain a little of that with the new factions (identities) by giving one identity or the other better bit-gain, card search, ice, etc…but it doesn't seem like you'd have the same feel. Nothing's jumping out at me why it couldn't work mechanically, though.

Buhallin said:

Random interjection:

DB, I lost your email in a system reinstall, not sure you're still active over with SG, and they don't have PMs here. Hopefully you've still got my email, so email me, I've got an idea :)

PM's do exist here. Click the My Messages link by your profile picture at top of page.

Toqtamish said:

PM's do exist here. Click the My Messages link by your profile picture at top of page.

Huh. Good to know - although I'm not sure why they can't have a "Send Message To…" button like every other forum in existence, but it's handy to know it at least exists.