Android as a new expanding IP

By David Spangler, in Infiltration

The whole Android universe is now broadening out as a new FFG intellectual property. With the new addition of Netrunner and the novels, it seems that this particular universe could become just as important to FFG as Terrinoth and the universe of Twilight Imperium , or Westros and Lovecraft, for that matter. The original game Android was a bit too complex and time consuming for the people I play with, so I've never had a chance to try it out. I have greater hope for Infiltration . But of all the universes that FFG now "sponsors," the cyberpunk format is one that most excites me. So I'd love to see a broader reach of games in this area that hit different levels of complexity and play style, from solo play to deck building games like Rune Age to strategy board games simpler than Android. For that matter, since "sensies" and virtual reality are part of Android's universe, it would be a perfect universe for "Dream Park" like adventures, where players are plunged into strategic contests in a virtual reality that simulates the Lord of the Rings, or the Cthulu Mythos or the fantasy worlds of Westros or Terrinoth. And given there are colonies on Mars and the Moon, the possibility exists for intersystemic conflict as colonies revolt; and with the network or web extending into space, what about some alien force infiltrating it, creating a behind the scenes, Men in Black kind of secret battle within the web between human forces and aliens seeking to control humanity by controlling its collective electronic mind? Seems like this IP opens itself to numerous possibilities.

I like the idea of seeing more of the setting from Android. How well does Infiltration deliver on that? Is it just the reuse of a few names, or are there any notable character or story connections?

There's not a whole lot of overlap, since Infiltration happens on a much smaller scale than Android; it's just a handful of people inside this one building. The biggest story connection is in the premise: a new company is on the verge of competing with Haas and Jinteki, and from the rooms you get sort of a general sense of the sort of android technology they're developing.

That said, there have definitely also been some efforts to tie things together, though mostly in the form of oblique references and easter eggs…Infiltration's Gabriel will apparently also be a character in Android: Netrunner, one of the items is a can of Diesel, that sort of thing.

It's a shame that Noise wasn't playable in this one. I so look forward to seeing him in Netrunner.

Idea for an Expansion

Infiltration:Anarchy

Includes some more cards of course and alternate scoring. Character can trash rooms or upload viruses to score points, upload and trash being new action cards perhaps. maybe official "fork in the road" variants.

not only tougher challanges, and more maniacal ways to deal with them, but more thematic tie-ins becasue this time you're going up against jinteki and haas-bioroid themselves. Wouldn't it be cool to turn the wrong corner and come up against Floyd?

I wouldn't mind an Android rpg… or better yet a book that gives all of the fun background info of an rpg book without the rules. Mostly I just want more info about the setting, and if I was going to do an rpg would probably use GURPS rules either way.

D351 said:

I wouldn't mind an Android rpg… or better yet a book that gives all of the fun background info of an rpg book without the rules. Mostly I just want more info about the setting, and if I was going to do an rpg would probably use GURPS rules either way.

I haven't read any of them yet, but the Android novels will probably be pretty good at doing this. An RPG would be pretty neat too, even if it was just a conversion of Cyberpunk into the Android universe.

jjcole said:

D351 said:

I haven't read any of them yet, but the Android novels will probably be pretty good at doing this. An RPG would be pretty neat too, even if it was just a conversion of Cyberpunk into the Android universe.

The novel "Free Fall" is narrated by a detective on a case that leads you as a reader on a tour of New Angelas, the Beanstalk etc. You learn a lot about locations in the original game such as "Humanity First" and encounter some of the characters from the game as well.

I actually wish it just was an almanac or sourcebook instead of a novel, i couldn't get into it the first time i tried to read it and put it down. Maybe i'll give it another shot… (you get a promo card offer as well)

D351 said:

I enjoy all the Android Universe things out right now:

- Netrunner (LOVE)

- Android The Board Game ( So So)

- Infiltration (Still trying to learn but love the concept)

- The Identity Trilogy (LOVE!! Can't wait until the 3rd book!)

- Free Fall (So So)

- Strange Flesh (Awesome!!)

Some of the things I would like to see about the Android universe would be:

- MMO - World of Warcraft or Star Wars: Old Republic like. Being in game and the factions can be Corporation and Runner and each side offers different in-game content, mission, "fights", etc.

- Books - Not just The Identity Trilogy chapter books, I'm talking about Comic books, manga, etc. Books on the characters and corporations themselves Kate, Noise, Jinteki, NBN, etc. Where do they come from? Who runs these corps? How did this world come to be? What about Kate, Gabriel, Noise, etc? Where did they come from? etc.. I WANT TO KNOW!

- SWAG - Considering that everything is very Cyber I would think that by now FFG could come out with Android themed USBs, computer mice, computer keyboards, computer mouse pads, headsets, and my favorite PHONE CASES FOR ANDROID PHONES!!!, ( I have the HTC EVO 3D), etc. I would even settle with hats and T-shirts. For the FF games, I would expect to see Android themed Deckboxes, Sleeves, dice, etc. There are Star Wars: The Card Game sleves so why not for Netrunner, Infiltration, etc?

What do you guys think?

I'm sure we will see the universe fleshed out in time and at a guess more information on the runner identities featured in Netrunner. I think the whole idea of the corp is it's this big faceless organization so the secrecy of who is calling the shots it part of the enigma that is the corporation. I'd personally love to see an RPG for this universe, there is so much potential! As for merch, take all of my money FFG :)

What interested me was the hint of the Mars Civil war, where many of the colonies are on lock down. There does seem to be options left open to explore. Either as another Board game or with Miniatures