I'm still not sure about the books

By IronRavenstorm, in Operation: Night Eagle

From the very beginning I wished that FFG would come out with a book series about the Tannhauser world. Now, I am worried that it might not live up to my expectation. I hope that they can translate the how the characters are in the board game to the book correctly. I would hate if they just make a bunch of fluff story lines to just showcase the game. Tannhauser is better then that.

The previous book really didn't appeal to me, but this one looks like it could be interesting.

I agree with you, so hopefully this will be an improvement. :)

I think it's a tad premature to say this will be an "improvement" until after you've read the first one. I'll agree the cover looks great and I like that character more than DC Comics "Blue Devil" pictured on the other Tannhauser novel.

As far as the previous FFG books have gone, I really like Freefall and the two Arkham Horror novels. The Fireborn novel was only okay, and I haven't started the other Android novel.

I'll likely pick it up and try it. I'm hoping for Twilight Imperium and Terrinoth novels at some point.

I'd really like a Grimm novel, since out of print RPGs are apparently still open for novels.

sepayne7l said:

I think it's a tad premature to say this will be an "improvement" until after you've read the first one. I'll agree the cover looks great and I like that character more than DC Comics "Blue Devil" pictured on the other Tannhauser novel.

As far as the previous FFG books have gone, I really like Freefall and the two Arkham Horror novels. The Fireborn novel was only okay, and I haven't started the other Android novel.

I'll likely pick it up and try it. I'm hoping for Twilight Imperium and Terrinoth novels at some point.

I'd really like a Grimm novel, since out of print RPGs are apparently still open for novels.

Well, I was just basing everything from the first book off of the little they released already to tease us into buying it. Maybe I just don't care that much for the Japanese story yet, because we haven't played them yet in the board game. I just really love the Reich as an enemy.

I, on the other hand, really like the Shogunate characters that were released as game miniatures and I hope they are all displayed in the novels. But you can be happy as well: The third chapter of "rising sun, falling shadows" introduces Heizinger and Zermann, so there's the Reich!

I really would like a story focused on Yula or Hoss. They are the two characters that I think could have some pretty cool stories with their backgrounds. I think that my biggest turn off for the Shogunate is their troop pack. I know that shouldn't stop me from liking them, but I can't bring myself to buy them because of it. I just figured that the Shogunate would be more focused on Shintoism with more demon/spirit characters. When I first heard of them I thought for sure that they troop pack would be samurai suits of armor with some type of Shinto spirits inside. The two troops that they do have look like they had little thought put into them.

As the troopers in Tannhäuser are rather standard soldiers and nothing fancy, I am fine with the two "normal" Shogunate troopers. I'm still hoping for a demon or spirit character (say hero) though. On another note, I'd also like to see Hoss displayed prominently in at least one of the novels, although I think his history, powers and agenda could easily fill an entire book.

If they are as smart as I think they are they should be writing a book on Hoss asap. He is such a loved character that I can't see him not getting his own book.

I think this book is the better one, that doesn't mean Rising Sun, Falling Shadows is bad, but if you would only read one of the books, pick this one.

MeisterH said:

I think this book is the better one. That doesn't mean Rising Sun, Falling Shadows is bad, but if you would only read one of the books, pick this one.

I also enjoyed Operation Night Eagle more. I think it also occurs before Rising Sun, Falling Shadows; so those of you who decide to only read this book can always pick up Rising Sun, Falling Shadows later =)

Here is my review of Operation Night Eagle for those interested:

http://teumessa.blogspot.com/2012/10/review-operation-night-eagle.html

MeisterH: I also replied to your comment in the Rising Sun, Falling Shadows forum.