New Player, need some advice

By Ikka, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

Hello all. I'm Ikka. I'm a veteran 40k player. I just got back into wargaming after about a 5 year hiatus, and so far have picked up both Malifaux and Dust Tactics as my new games due to not wanting to spend another 5 grand on models. Love the simplicity and speed of DT, I'm just looking for a little advice on army building.

I purchased the RCS, love the models and fluff. I've chosen the Axis forces as my guys, I like the range and armor, and also purchased a Laser Grenadier sqaud with the RCS. I'm looking at the $ prices of the models, and the Light Panzer walkers are the same price as the Mediums. Are there any advantages, aside from points, that the Light walkers give? I love the walkers, but after the horrible beating that my Hans received in the very first game I played (Rhino + Grim Reapers in close combat killed him before I could even shoot), I'm wondering if I should just get some Mediums and not worry about the Lights. Any advice?

Also, how good are the Recon Grenadiers? I love the models, especially with the gas masks over the Battle Grenadiers, since I want to try my hand at a Jin-Roh paint scheme rather than historic. I'm just kinda worried about the low points cost, makes me wary that they can't stand in a fight.

Any other advice on a standard army setup would be great. Thanks a lot.

The light walkers are good, as you say, cheaper in points but also give good killing power, the quad 20mm Hienrich is my first walker of choice to support my infantry or to cover my medium walkers that lack any good anti-soldier capabilities from infantry attack.

Recon Grenadiers are great, they dish out a goodly amount of anti-soldier dice and can protect itself from walkers with their 3 Panzerfausts.

Yeah, my axis opponent never leaves home without his Heinrich light walker. It's just a great anti-infantry and anti-light walker unit for a very good price. Though she LOVES the Lothar as well, so why not get both medium and light walker boxes?

Thanks. I'm planning on getting at least three of the Medium walkers, 2 of the regulars and one of the Wotan boxes. I like the look of the light walkers, just needed to know their effectiveness.

The Hermann sees very little action. It seems most of the time it's just not a very good investment for the axis player. The Heinrich though, SUCH a pain for the allies with his U range. He's basically the most useful part of a Luther thrown into a leaner more cost-effective package.

Command squads are a must have. They potentially allow one unit a turn to have a extra activation. They also allow you to bring back one infantry and one vehicle unit. This even includes heavy walkers, which brings me to my next point.

A Stormkonig heavy walker is a little spendy points wise at 87points, but well worth it! It has unlimited range against ground targets, and the maximum allowed range against aircraft. It packs enough fire power to destroy any other unit in the game in one round, except another heavy. Its heavy armor and high hit points make it very hard to kill.

The SSU is being released, and everyone is going to go chopper happy. So even more reason to have a big nasty AA gun in your army.

So I got one Light walker box, love the models. Now my question is this, should I get another since I already have a Hans and can thus have any two of the three light walkers on the field at once. Do I need a second Hermann/Heinrich?

I would say you don't need another light walker box, if you have other units you could be buying instead. It will be very rare that you'll want to field all 3 light walkers at once.

Thanks Loophole. That's what I was thinking. Now on to the Medium panzers….

Alright, I'm going to add on to this just because I don't want to clutter up the forums with multiple posts.

I'm wondering what companies models everyone uses to not only convert DT models, but also to add a little historical style and substance to the game. I've seen some good Pumas on the Painting Technique forums from Tamiya I think, but I don't know if those are the only models everyone uses.

DT is close to 1/35th or 1/48th scale right?

Definately 1/48