Pondering buying, but will there be anything else produced?

By SuperKalelJorson7, in Grimm RPG

I haven't played an RPG in a LONG time, but Grimm looks like something I could get my family around. Will there be any adventures/campaigns or supplements produced? Are there any online fan-produced scenarios? I guess I'm just looking to see what resources will be out there.

Thanks

This is, in my opinion, one of the best systems for role playing games. If Wizards had use a more complicated form of this or made this product it would be a huge hit. The best thing about it is that you should know wether you will pass or fail on a skill check, unlike with those random d20 games. The game promotes co-op game play. By that I dont just mean archer stand backa nd let warrior go in to the fray. You get bonuses for working together.

You said this game would be a family game for you. That brings me to my next point. You don't have to play this game as a drak genre. You could make it like Labrynth, Oz, or even Candyland.

I bought this product after opening the inside and reading the prolog.

BUT to answer your question. I don't think FFG does as great a job with their rpg product lines. Wizards shoots out a new book every month. FFG likes to have their games require one book, just encase product fails, which is fine because they are not known for their RPGs. Sadly though that is also a downside.

Dark Hersey and WFRP were already being made by black industries and that is why they have more books.

I wouldn't count on any other "Grimm" resources from FFG, at least in the short term, as it appears to be more of niche setting/system. Regardless, I ordered this from Amazon a couple of days ago and am really looking forward to sinking my teeth into it and providing a little more variety at my local roleplay meetup group.

Honestly you don't need anything else to play Grimm. This book is really all you need as the background info on the Grimm world is pretty thorough. And it is not that hard to come up with your own NPC's or critters. And as far as source material...look around you and go to your local library. Heck check out the movie thread in here about movies that are recommended viewing. I think the thing I LOVE about the game is that it is a stand alone product and does not need any other book to drive it.

I read through the D20 version not too long ago after seeing the full version on the FFG site... I plan on getting the full Grimm soon (likely from Amazon), though it would be cool to see some sort of official expansion book released. Ah, well... guess it'll be on my shelf with my other 1-book system, Chosen. *smiles*

I purchased this game from a RadCon merchant last week. I am a grown-up dreamer, and this game seems to be an answer for a recurring family/friend evening of great entertainment. It makes me wish my wife and I had 9 year-old children of our own to start playing with. It draws almost directly on much of my childhood memories and fancies. I look forward to playing it occasionally with my regular RPG'er group. happy.gif

Good to hear BlueKnight. I too love this game and from time to time play this one with my nieces. I incorporated some of the Spiderwick Chronicles books series of critters which my nieces really enjoy.

To my understanding, this was to be a stand alone book.

If I remember correctly, the original advertising described the game setting as self-contained within the rulebook. While subtle, to me that means no further product is forthcoming.

I love the premise of this game and bought the book on day one, however while I enjoyed reading it and would love to run the game, I find it difficult to convince people to play this game over others like Dark Heresy or Dungeons and Dragons.

Too bad because I thing this game has promise.

Well I think folks really need to open their minds when it comes to gaming and give niche games like this a chance. I think most people don't realize what they are missing. I too had picked it up when it came out but I also loved the concept when it was first released in the D20 format. And again it is a game that really needs no other books. Everything you need is found within the book and in your imagination and there is enough written and visual inspiration for a game like Grimm to last you a lifetime and then some.

Pick the book up and enjoy it!

I think the only thing that limits the possiblities in Grimm is the Narrator's imagination. Source material abounds. And new source material comes out almost every day(Fantasy, Horror, and Adventure sections in the libray). Since it includes everything you need to know to make a game, the fact tha you will always have new source material, and the fact that it is only around $40, it is an amazing buy!